Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2016 8:44:31 AM EDT
I don`t live in Georgia, but I keep hearing about a bill in the Georgia state assembly that would ban certain guns and allow for gun confiscation. I have always seen Georgia as a pro-gun state does anyone here think this bill has a chance?  The anti-gun media keeps talking like it`s a possibility.  Here in Illinois we have enough problems with  anti  BS coming from the idiots in Cook (Chicago)  County.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
No, not in Georgia.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I smell a troll
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I smell a troll
View Quote

naaa just somebody from Illinois.... They are used to having their rights taken away. They don't know any better that's all.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Gun confiscation in GA...that will be a very ugly day for everyone concerned.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I did see a blurb on TV from one GA politicians that was trying to pass a "assault weapon ban" that would include confiscation. So that part is legitimate. I think it was one of the DeKalb County reps or something. I think it was one of those bills they know will never go anywhere but they submit to make a point. I dont think the OP was a troll. The news clip really did say "CONFISCATION OF ASSAULT WEAPONS". It is scary to me that those words are even mentioned and the general public does not go apes shit. To me it is the way to suggest ideas and gradually get the public used to the idea.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
More democratic posturing for bills that will were submitted but failed to gain support. Don't worry about it, we will never become another state to follow CA gun laws.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, much more likely to happen in your state.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not worried because I'm so absent minded I keep losing mine when I go for boat rides.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I am sure it will not pass . But I am reminded that the governor and many elected republicans used to be democrats . Last year they passed a $1 billion tax increase on everything . They have not forgotten their roots.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
It won't happen anytime soon...but eventually. Who knows what the future holds. We're all just one school shooting away from losing our rights.

They can pass what ever law they want. Actually taking them away is a whole 'nuther story.

roy d....good luck with all that
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I really don't believe it will even make it to the floor for a vote.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
There were 6 Atlanta Democrats that had a bill to do that.  From what I know about Georgians, that will never happen.  But I will let those of you with ARFCOM search capabilities pull that one up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I`m no troll  just a concerned citizen, and no it will not happen in Illinois, Illinois is fighting back, Cook County doesn`t have a chance. I`ve been seeing these news reports and wanted some honest feedback  from people in Georgia not BS.  By the way I have been to Georgia and even lived there for a short time  ( Ft. Benning). The problem with the news reports I was seeing is they come from anti-gun media outlets who want gun confiscation.   And for those that gave honest feedback I thank you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.decaturish.com/2016/01/decatur-state-representative-pushes-for-ban-on-assault-weapons/

“It’s time for a more serious and intellectually honest debate about guns in Georgia,” Oliver said. “The majority of American citizens support a ban on assault weapons, based on the latest Pew poll and I am happy to represent many of my constituents who want to see a ban on assault weapons and to try to generate a serious debate. Although most Georgians support stronger gun regulation laws, the leadership has not been open to a fair debate and I think assault weapons is one issue where we need to have a discussion.”  
View Quote

The leader of the state’s most prominent gun rights organization, Georgia Carry Executive Director Jerry Henry, predicts that Oliver’s bill will not move forward.

“It’s a bill that the gun grabbers in just about every state wants to pass, but I don’t think they’re going to have much luck here,” Henry said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.georgiapol.com/2016/01/15/speaker-ralston-addresses-proposed-assault-weapons-ban/

House Speaker David Ralston isn’t in favor of the bill banning assault weapons proposed by Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver. In a briefing following Friday’s legislative session, Ralston said,

As long as I am Speaker of this House, I will not use any of our valuable time taking away the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens. I am completely baffled, in the wake of Paris and San Bernardino as to how someone believes that the solution to some of these problems are to disarm law abiding Georgians and Americans. I suppose the press conference yesterday is about as much energy and time as you will see utilized on that issue.

It is taking away the right to possess and bear arms, and you can put lipstick on that pig all you want but it’s still a pig, and it’s not going to be something that we’re going to deal with in this House.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah this will just never happen
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
thats this.. person... mary margaret oliver. and i hate to say it but a relative is fairly good friends with this person. i have yet to ask that person about this individuals lunacy. when i heard the story i assumed it was an inner city atlanta based person but its not, it is a major suburb of atlanta.

and i expect the folks standing around in this picture are about the only folks that support this bit of craziness.

this sort of activity only makes it more difficult for these folks to get any kind of gun laws passed. and yes they do want to confiscate your guns and your ammo. 50 cal being a big one. and someone tell me the last time a 50 was used in a driveby, robbery, home invasion, murder or any other similar activity. these folks simply are local moonbats..

the bill will never see the floor. it was done to make a statement. im still waiting to hear what the purpose of that statement was.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
thats this.. person... mary margaret oliver. and i hate to say it but a relative is fairly good friends with this person. i have yet to ask that person about this individuals lunacy. when i heard the story i assumed it was an inner city atlanta based person but its not, it is a major suburb of atlanta.

and i expect the folks standing around in this picture are about the only folks that support this bit of craziness.

this sort of activity only makes it more difficult for these folks to get any kind of gun laws passed. and yes they do want to confiscate your guns and your ammo. 50 cal being a big one. and someone tell me the last time a 50 was used in a driveby, robbery, home invasion, murder or any other similar activity. these folks simply are local moonbats..

the bill will never see the floor. it was done to make a statement. im still waiting to hear what the purpose of that statement was.

http://www.georgiapol.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2016-01-14-14.10.07.jpg
View Quote

You should be telling her too move her butt up north where she belongs with the rest of the communist. The tyrant from nys would love to have more of her up there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
The speaker of the house has said it will go nowhere.

It's political posturing by liberals to satisfy their clients and the democrat party in a national push to enact gun control locally

It has less than 0 chance of passing
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Doesn't matter the color or whether they live in the hood or in a McMansion in Gwinnett, they are still traitors to our country.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I`m no troll  just a concerned citizen, and no it will not happen in Illinois, Illinois is fighting back, Cook County doesn`t have a chance. I`ve been seeing these news reports and wanted some honest feedback  from people in Georgia not BS.  By the way I have been to Georgia and even lived there for a short time  ( Ft. Benning). The problem with the news reports I was seeing is they come from anti-gun media outlets who want gun confiscation.   And for those that gave honest feedback I thank you.
View Quote

Don't think anybody thought you were trolling. We've had some other folks post similar stuff recently, and it has been in GD several times. Hope y'all are successful in your battle with Crook County.

If by some miracle this bill became law, I doubt there would be many Sheriffs who would be willing to enforce it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Ever notice that the people pushing these plans want men with guns to take away our guns?

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Gun confiscation in GA...that will be a very ugly day for everyone concerned.
View Quote

Roger That.  There is a solution.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#25]

They couldn't get a decent-looking AK for their picture?  It had to have that cheap clubfoot IO stock on it?  I guess it was the only scary black one they could find.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They couldn't get a decent-looking AK for their picture?  It had to have that cheap clubfoot IO stock on it?  I guess it was the only scary black one they could find.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

IO's sure scare the shit out of me
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#27]
By the looks of the women in that crowd, those pictures of rifles are the only big and black things they've ever held in their hands.

roy d...the guys on the other hand probably have a different history
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Guy on the stairs looks bummed. Guessing it is because his rifle has no sights.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Guy on the stairs looks bummed. Guessing it is because his rifle has no sights.
View Quote

I LOL'd at that one!!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#30]
There is no way this gets passed with the current guys in office. They just passed the "Guns Everywhere" bill last year. Now they are trying to get campus carry passed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#31]
You can download the bill here

This does show that Democrats want to confiscate guns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#32]
here's part of the bill. thing makes my blood boil and im a bit more centrist than a lot of folks on this board.

if you read the bill in its entirety, i believe it would make the majority of firearms in this state illegal for ownership. Just about anything that is semiautomatic or has stocks with a thumbhole  for instance are on the confiscation list. This includes semi-autos with non detachable magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. from what i read, someone transfers from califorinia with a bullet button rifle would be required to turn it over the the GBI...

6-11-117.
(a)  Notwithstanding Code Sections 16-11-115 and Code Section 16-11-116, any person
who possesses any assault weapon or large capacity magazine on July 1, 2016, shall have
until October 31, 2016, to accomplish any of the following actions without any prosecution
under the law:
(1)  Modify such assault weapon or large capacity magazine to render it permanently
inoperable or such that it is no longer an assault weapon or large capacity magazine; or
(2) Surrender such assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the Georgia Bureau of
Investigation for destruction pursuant to this part.

(b)  Notwithstanding Code Section 16-11-115 and Code Section 16-11-116, any person
who relocates his or her residence to this state and who possesses an assault weapon or
large capacity magazine or who comes to possess such assault weapon or large capacity
magazine through probate shall, within 90 days of establishing such residency or the
closing of such probate, modify such assault weapon or large capacity magazine to render
it permanently inoperable or such that it is no longer an assault weapon or large capacity
magazine or surrender such assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the Georgia
Bureau of Investigation for destruction pursuant to this part.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Why don't we charge these people with crimes against the US Constitution.  Find them guilty of treason and send them to a country without guns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Why don't we charge these people with crimes against the US Constitution.  Find them guilty of treason and send them to a country without guns.
View Quote
Cause we don't have the guts.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can download the bill here

This does show that Democrats want to confiscate guns.
View Quote

No shock there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top