Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2015 10:19:19 AM EDT
I have a friend who spent all day yesterday driving in metal fence posts (without hearing protection) and now, has hurting/ringing ears (go figure!).
Anyone have any remedies for aching ears? I already recommended hearing protectors but he is such a redneck that refuses to do that.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Whiskey and a handful of Vicodin. He won't care.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that would for sure help the pain, however wouldn't allow him to work! Lol
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, that would for sure help the pain, however wouldn't allow him to work! Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously though- He fucked up his hearing permanently. Any hearing loss is permanent. The ringing should go away after a couple days. But that is not guaranteed. Many shooters have a low ringing in their ears for the rest of their life. The hearing in your ears doesn't grow back like skin.

He should have been wearing hear pro. He should have stopped after it started to hurt. His ears didn't just start to hurt when the last post was driven in.

Stupid should hurt, and it often does. Tell him to take an OTC pain reliever and give it a couple days. If it still pains him he should go to see the doc, but there really isn't much they can do for him.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, he realizes that he should have had ear pro on. He does wear them while working, driving rivets all day, but thought being outside working it wouldn't be so bad.
I told him to apply some dry warmth to the ears will help soothe the pain, but it isn't a cure, just a temp relief.

Thank IKH
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]

I now have some noticeable tinnitus in my right ear.

It came about when we were filming the 'Light's out' trailer and was caused by the 1919 I was firing without protection.  VERY loud with the BFA.  That was stupid, and I found some skin-tone plugs when we broke for lunch.  But the damage is done now.

It doesn't bother me that much during the day, but at night it can be very distracting...almost sounds like morse code some nights.

I have taken to wearing earplugs and using an app called 'white noise' when sleeping and that solves the problem very well.

He could try getting some hearing protection that will take a stereo input and then listen to the radio or his own tunes on his phone and that should help distract from the ringing.

As noted, there is no recovery from tinnitus, the hairs do not grow back.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
My right ear buzzes with even the slightest loud noise. Sometimes it even happens if i'm talking loudly on the phone. Happened from just two shots out of a .45LC pistol and no hearing protection.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Motrin and time, but some of the loss is permanent. I've been to way too many (actually not enough) concerts, played guitar, drag raced and a few other things that are loud. If there is no back ground noise,  i hear hissing. My right ear is worse almost to the point i cant use it to talk on the phone. Certain pitches induce pain. I made my wife buy a new vacume because i couldn't  stand to be in the house with the old one with out ear muffs on Its been that way since the late 80s.  Take care of your hearing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditto to the above concerning hearing loss and protecting it....It's a sad, but true, joke in the construction industry that you can tell how long someone's been in it if you ask what they do for a living and their first answer is 'Huh?' you know they've been at it a while....
...Whenever I conduct training on hearing protection I always ask folks if they've ever started up their truck in the morning and turned down the radio first thing because it's too loud.....and if so, did they think it was too loud the previous afternoon.....That's a sign that you've been exposed to too loud for too long as over night you regain a portion of your hearing, but some is lost...
...of course, with some folks, when I ask the question they answer 'Huh?'....
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#9]
For the ringing get some cortizone-10 from the store and goop it on a q-tip and coat the inside ear daily for a few weeks or whatever is needed. Works like a charm IMO. I had bad ringing and now its gone.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I suffer from tinnitus due to a Glock 18 mishap. (After an all clear, dude dumped a 33 rounder while I had pulled my right muff open to hear instructor.  Indoors.  Loudest, most painful  BRRRRRRRRRTTT ever. Hells Bells.  Dude was literally right behind me)
Plus from shooting as a lad outdoors.
Plus a lifetime of listening to waaay too much metal, concerts, etc.
Plus Diving a lot in my early 20s and getting an occasional earpop.

Nothing really you can do.  You just accept it.  

However I DO double up on hearing protection whenever shooting and if I attend a concert, I always bring the best earplugs possible.

Seriously, I am OCD about that.  After a while your friend will go deaf. I'm at the eve of middle age and having to cup my "hearing ear" at times is no fun.

You can have a lot of redneck habits without being ignorant to your health.

Just my 2 pence
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top