Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2015 11:35:09 PM EDT
Hi all. I've searched and can't find anything recent about this topic. I'm staying at the residence inn on peach tree. I plan on taking MARTA to the dome. Can I carry in the dome?  I have a MS carry permit, I'm Actice military, and I have my LEO credentials and badge from MS.

Is it worth trying?  Will I get turned around at the metal detectors/pat down and miss the start or the whole game?  Is there a weapon check/lockup?

My head is hurting. I'd rather not be unarmed as it is Atlanta and I'll have my wife with me.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I highly doubt it. We got wanded at Georgia Tech, yesterday. The Dome is going to be super strict. With the amount of police presence and the amount of people that will be at that game, you should be fine.

You could always try to carry a blade or small canister of pepper spray, albeit one that you aren't afraid to get taken away.

MARTA goes right to the Dome. You will be fine. I think that you will find that Atlanta is not near the dangerous hell hole that most people make it out to be. Have a great time and ask us, if you are looking for good places to get fat and happy.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#2]
We went in February for supercross. Didn't get wanded or a pat down but  my son and I bothe had pocket knives clipped on our pockets, he saw the clip and wouldn't let us in till we got rid of them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. My real concern is the walk from the hotel to the MARTA station. Looks to be a few blocks. I understand Atlanta isn't a third world country or anything, but I take my wife's safety seriously. Me alone, hell, I'll fight or run or whatever.

I would appreciate some eating places as well. We are coming on Friday early afternoon and staying until Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes and no.  It isn't specially illegal to carry at the GA Dome anymore; however, it falls under the definition of a government building, and if they establish screening under the law, they can prohibit firearms in the building.  

As you mentioned being military, GA law allows members of the military to carry anywhere a peace officer can carry.

I don't know what will be in place at the SEC game, but the Falcons prohibit firearms per NFL rules, and this includes off duty officers.  In one of the NFL cities there is a legal challenge over this , but I am not aware of its current status.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of food would you like to enjoy?  Price range?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of food would you like to enjoy?  Price range?
View Quote

Nothing black tie or anything. Just good southern, Greek, Thai, and oddball hole in the wall kinda places.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. My real concern is the walk from the hotel to the MARTA station. Looks to be a few blocks. I understand Atlanta isn't a third world country or anything, but I take my wife's safety seriously. Me alone, hell, I'll fight or run or whatever.

I would appreciate some eating places as well. We are coming on Friday early afternoon and staying until Sunday morning.
View Quote

thats what UBER is for  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Grab a taxi or Uber never ever ride Marta if there are other viable options

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
thats what UBER is for  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

thats what UBER is for  

exactly

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The safest time to ride Marta is when the sec game, super cross, monster truck or country concert is going on where you're going. There is several new brew houses right near the aquarium. If you take uber hit up 6 feet under on 11th street. Get the scallop tacos. They're not on the menu, you'll have to ask for them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone is going to have to explain this über thing to me. I've seen snippets of it. I live in rural MS so it's not common around here I imagine. I don't hang out in big cities without a car when I'm TDY. So some tips would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Download the app
Enter credit card info

Request a ride

Profit

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Download the app Enter credit card info
Request a ride
Profit

View Quote

Ahhhh. An app thing. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
We ride Marta from Decatur station to the dome every year. Never have a problem.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]
If you are a Florida fan you might want to shoot yourself before the game is over ....
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Download the app Enter credit card info

Request a ride

Profit

It's basically a freelance taxi service, which of course has the existing taxi industry and regulatory bodies annoyed.  The drivers are "independent contractors" driving their own cars and frequently have other jobs and do it as a sideline.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you are a Florida fan you might want to shoot yourself before the game is over ....
View Quote

Choke yourself.

Roll Tide. Lifelong fan and alum.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Choke yourself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choke yourself.

I'm a Gator Alum and a highly trained analyist.  D'Gators have a bad quarterback and a pitiful kicking game.  I think that Bama will beat the point spread.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:38:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I was at the SEC Coach Luncheon today and they announced that there would be additional security measures at the game
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top