Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2015 11:32:15 AM EDT
I guess I don't get it.

Why do folks feel the need to open carry?

I have heard the argument that a right unexercised is a right lost.  I'm not sure I buy that.

Where does one go to get educated on the "why"?  Almost everything I see with folks conducting open carry I view as a tactical disadvantage.  Most don't appear to have holsters with any significant form of retention other than force to overcome or a single snap.  Most seem to be folks my age whose ability to retain a firearm in a physical confrontation would be "challenged" by a younger, more fit opponent.

Again, I get the socialization aspect - that seeing an overaged, overweight male open carrying "desensitizes" some of the public to firearms.  I'm not aware of any recent actions where an open carrier lost control of his firearm, so my thoughts above may be way off base.  

But I still don't get it.  I carry for personal protection.  Advertising that I'm armed seems to diminish one of its tactical advantages.

Flame on....school me.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
First!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Just one of many incidents I'm aware of. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5953044
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My aunt works at the North Georgia Premium Outlets and had an OC incident last week.  A rather large "gentleman" and his wife came in to shop for maternity clothes, and he was OCing.  My aunt informed him that mall policy was no firearms on the premises (let's not debate the stupidity of that, their property, their rules) to which he informed her he had a license and he would carry anywhere he pleased.  My aunt could not get to the desk to call mall security as the man kept putting himself in between her and the counter, essentially trying to intimidate her.  Also, to be an even bigger tool, he kept his hand on the grip the entire time.  

After exiting the store she called mall security which did engage him in conversation and politely asked him to leave, to which he responded "who is going to make me? You with your little bottle of pepper spray?" Along with apparently other choice words.  With a deputy on the way he apparently lost his nerve and they decided to leave.  This is the kind of person who makes all gun owners look stupid, and will most likely end up on the wrong side of an incident in the near future.  Apparently he didn't read any of the GA code they give you (at least in my county) with every GWP, about trespassing, nor does he understand what could be construed as a verbal threat.

I'm betting it was a Hipoint in a nylon holster.  Wish I had pics.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess I don't get it.

I have heard the argument that a right unexercised is a right lost.  I'm not sure I buy that.

Where does one go to get educated on the "why"?  Almost everything I see with folks conducting open carry I view as a tactical disadvantage.  Most don't appear to have holsters with any significant form of retention other than force to overcome or a single snap.  Most seem to be folks my age whose ability to retain a firearm in a physical confrontation would be "challenged" by a younger, more fit opponent.

Again, I get the socialization aspect - that seeing an overaged, overweight male open carrying "desensitizes" some of the public to firearms.  I'm not aware of any recent actions where an open carrier lost control of his firearm, so my thoughts above may be way off base.  

But I still don't get it.  I carry for personal protection.  Advertising that I'm armed seems to diminish one of its tactical advantages.

Flame on....school me.

View Quote

It's just a way for generally unremarkable, insignificant, and insecure people to draw attention to themselves. Anyone arguing that open carry deters crime is living in a dream world, as real violent criminals aren't intimidated by an overweight, pasty-faced, middle-aged white guy with little/no situational awareness and a rarely-fired pistol in a cheap plastic or nylon belt holster.

If that offends you, you should really take a giant step back and reevaluate how you see yourself and how you're viewed by everyone around you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell you what, you do whatever your little heart desires, and I will continue to do the same.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess I don't get it.

Flame on....school me.

View Quote

+1.....I've never understood the 'need' to OC while shopping for milk and eggs at 2:00 in the afternoon at the grocery store....Now, granted, I will OC when outdoors or in the woods because for me it's more comfortable, but I CC when in 'public'..... I can't see the benefit of advertising I'm armed if a real, TRUE threat wished to do me or mine harm....It would only give them more of an incentive to strike the obvious threat first with their choice of weapon and give me less reaction time IMHO....
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My aunt works at the North Georgia Premium Outlets and had an OC incident last week.  A rather large "gentleman" and his wife came in to shop for maternity clothes, and he was OCing.  My aunt informed him that mall policy was no firearms on the premises (let's not debate the stupidity of that, their property, their rules) to which he informed her he had a license and he would carry anywhere he pleased.  My aunt could not get to the desk to call mall security as the man kept putting himself in between her and the counter, essentially trying to intimidate her.  Also, to be an even bigger tool, he kept his hand on the grip the entire time.  

After exiting the store she called mall security which did engage him in conversation and politely asked him to leave, to which he responded "who is going to make me? You with your little bottle of pepper spray?" Along with apparently other choice words.  With a deputy on the way he apparently lost his nerve and they decided to leave.  This is the kind of person who makes all gun owners look stupid, and will most likely end up on the wrong side of an incident in the near future.  Apparently he didn't read any of the GA code they give you (at least in my county) with every GWP, about trespassing, nor does he understand what could be construed as a verbal threat.

I'm betting it was a Hipoint in a nylon holster.  Wish I had pics.
View Quote

I know a GA Arfcommer who had a guy behind him on line in a bank open carrying a Judge in a Uncle Mike's holster wrapped in duct tape. He said the guy looked like a homeless person.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1.....I've never understood the 'need' to OC while shopping for milk and eggs at 2:00 in the afternoon at the grocery store....Now, granted, I will OC when outdoors or in the woods because for me it's more comfortable, but I CC when in 'public'..... I can't see the benefit of advertising I'm armed if a real, TRUE threat wished to do me or mine harm....It would only give them more of an incentive to strike the obvious threat first with their choice of weapon and give me less reaction time IMHO....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I don't get it.

Flame on....school me.

In a nutshell, THIS!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Man I posted about the OC subject some fair number of years back and had all manner of tards crawl up my ass on it.

It's s dick measuring thing methinks.

I want to surprise mofos so try hard to conceal whenever possible. This includes avoidance of "shoot-me-first" clothing unless I'm actually laden with much camera equipment or participating in a IDPA match of sorts.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#11]
beat
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
So there's nobody here that OC's?

I'm not trolling.  I'm looking for somebody to enlighten me and help shape opinion.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm not trolling.  I'm looking for somebody to enlighten me and help shape opinion.
View Quote

Regularly?  No.  But I'm not overly concerned if my handgun is not perfectly concealed, and if I'm on the way home from a shooting class or trip, I'll probably OC instead of having to take my OWB holster off and put on an IWB holster.  I don't make a big deal out of it and my shirt probably covers it at least some of the time, but I consider it OC.

Of course, I'm on a business trip in Florida right now, so I make sure to stay concealed here.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't O.C. for the obvious reasons. But I don't care one way or the other about those that do. Their life, their business. Not mine.

roy d...to each his own
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I do when I ride my motorcycle.

2 reasons really

1. retention. None of my concealed holsters will retain well enough in my opinion to ride with them.

2. I've noticed that on average tards in cages don't act as tardish when they notice the sidearm. It's actually rather amusing to see reactions and difference in how they act.

and

3. I don't care what anybody thinks or believes. I don't act like a tard when I OC and I think I represent carry folks just fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do when I ride my motorcycle.

2 reasons really

1. retention. None of my concealed holsters will retain well enough in my opinion to ride with them.

2. I've noticed that on average tards in cages don't act as tardish when they notice the sidearm. It's actually rather amusing to see reactions and difference in how they act.

and

3. I don't care what anybody thinks or believes. I don't act like a tard when I OC and I think I represent carry folks just fine.
View Quote

Bill,

Thanks for that.  Those are reasons I hadn't thought about.  Again, I'm not passing judgment - I open carry on my land for reasons another poster enumerated above.  I've just been surprised at the number of open carriers I've been seeing in the suburban and urban environment lately and was wondering what advantages it brought them.  I'd only thought of disadvantages.

I appreciate the answer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but I'm not going through this shit again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't O.C. for the obvious reasons. But I don't care one way or the other about those that do. Their life, their business. Not mine.

roy d...to each his own
View Quote

This is the camp I find myself in. Not my style but it isn't my business to dictate yours either.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't like it? Don't do it.

Being a transplanted NY Yankee, I have a hard time being comfortable myself to open carry.  It was drilled down our throats that if you even printed, you were opening yourself to a possible problem with LEO involvement.  

That being said, I have done it a few times down here.  It has been limited to gas station trips and limited exposure type scenarios.  I am trying to break myself from the paranoia that was instilled in me in NY.  

My preferred method for myself, is concealed, but I am "open" to open-carry from time to time in certain situations.  I do find myself less concerned with total concealment however.  If I print, I print, so be it.  Most sheep won't even notice.  

Bottom line:  I have no problem what so ever with anyone open carrying.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I carry OWB probably about 25% the time, always with a shirt (or as colder weather allows a jacket) as a cover garment.

I like OC laws simply for a little protection from brandishing charges/etc
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tell you what, you do whatever your little heart desires, and I will continue to do the same.

View Quote

boom!  exfuckingactly
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I open carry sometimes because I want to.  so what?  am I hurting you?  am I infringing on anyone's rights?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

We need more of this...

I don't regularly open carry but that's my choice.  I support others rights to legally carry as they see fit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
... am I infringing on anyone's rights?
View Quote

No.  But you have EXPANDED the rights of others.  

Open carriers have shown members of the General Assembly and even the Governor that normal people carry guns for protection.   Open carriers encourage others to carry as well, increasing our numbers.    Much of the success we had in Georgia repealing gun control was due to Open Carriers.    

Ever see the Executive Director of GeorgiaCarry.Org not open carrying?    His gun and holster has been photographed and published on every continent of the earth, except Antarctica.   Actually, it might have been seen on Antarctica.

Yes, there are times to go concealed but to denigrate Open Carriers is not appropriate.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We need more of this...

I don't regularly open carry but that's my choice.  I support others rights to legally carry as they see fit.
View Quote

Again, I'm not looking to infringe on anybody's open carry.  I'm asking the question "why"?  I've had one good answer in the thread of why and one good example of why not.

I open carry on my land.  I'm not against it.  I don't understand the advantages of OC in urban/suburban settings.  School me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:I open carry on my land.  I'm not against it.  I don't understand the advantages of OC in urban/suburban settings.  School me.
View Quote

Several studies have shown that that majority of criminals will choose other victims before challenging an armed victim.    But, its not 100% so you will find lots of examples of armed victims.   Just look at the number of LEO's shot.    Violent criminals are not right in the brain and sometimes they think they can beat the gun.

If I'm wondering around my home county and Atlanta, I OC.

If I'm going to an area that I'm unsure about or not familiar with, I'll cc to avoid attracting attention to myself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#27]
If.and when I do oc it usually has a shirt jacket or Hoodie over it so I guess that's not really oc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I know speaking about race makes some folks uncomfortable but OC vs CC matters when you're a minority.  It's smarter, from the perspective of not being harassed by LEOs, to NOT carry OC.  I used to drive around with my SharpShooters car magnet on my little everyday car and can't tell you how many times I was questioned about potential concealed weapons in my car when they would pull me over for BS reasons.  Luckily I always have had my CCW permit on me, but it's worth noting the harassment.  No OC for me for those reasons.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I prefer to not attract the attention of a gun grabber or make others uncomfortable or become the first target of the bad guy.  Out of sight out of mind kind of thing.
We each have our reasons to open or CCW. I even carry concealed while walking my property. One size does not fit all and I do support the RIGHT to open carry if one so desires. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Holy fuck this thread sounds like a cut and paste from Everytown's or Brady's forums. All the usual tactics like male inadequacy, something to prove, etc. included here.

I personally CC, but I could give two shits about people that choose to OC. There are pros and cons to each.

CC pros: element of surprise, less attention.
CC cons: less comfortable, difficult with larger guns, less accessible.

OC pros: more comfortable, gun size matters little, quick and easy access.
OC cons: more attention, no element of surprise, harassment from ARFCOMers especially about cock size.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Holy fuck this thread sounds like a cut and paste from Everytown's or Brady's forums. All the usual tactics like male inadequacy, something to prove, etc. included here.

I personally CC, but I could give two shits about people that choose to OC. There are pros and cons to each.

OC cons: more attention, no element of surprise, harassment from ARFCOMers especially about cock size.
View Quote

+1

I carry both open and concealed, depending on a variety of factors. Concealed is very uncomfortable during the summer for me, even with a little Glock 42/43. I have to wear an undershirt, which increases the level of heat and discomfort that I have to deal with. It's also a lot slower draw. That said, if I'm going somewhere that is occupied by a bunch of soccer moms or Yankee transplants, I will conceal the gun. I will not, however, make that effort if I'm out in the country where no one cares.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I,usually CC

but,i hang my junk outside my zipper

clown
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I,usually CC

but,i hang my junk outside my zipper

clown
View Quote

LOL!!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I like what he said...

Quoted:

It's just a way for generally unremarkable, insignificant, and insecure people to draw attention to themselves. Anyone arguing that open carry deters crime is living in a dream world, as real violent criminals aren't intimidated by an overweight, pasty-faced, middle-aged white guy with little/no situational awareness and a rarely-fired pistol in a cheap plastic or nylon belt holster.

If that offends you, you should really take a giant step back and reevaluate how you see yourself and how you're viewed by everyone around you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I don't get it.

Flame on....school me.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Yawn.... I knew if I waited long enough this group would appear.

Quoted:
I like what he said...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I like what he said...

Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I don't get it.

Flame on....school me.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I OC sometimes. Not always, but sometimes.

1. I'm tiny. It's relatively difficult to conceal all but the tiniest pistols on me to begin with.

2. Women's fashion isn't exactly conducive to concealed carry. The current fashion of loose, drapey tops has been great for me, but that's a fad and not likely to last. Fall and winter fashion with the bulky sweaters also make things a bit easier, but printing is still fairly problematic at times.

3. Soft target. By and large, the people that target tiny females are of a slightly different mentality and motive than those that target large males. They look for soft targets, so making yourself appear more difficult can act as a natural deterrent.

4. Most people don't even notice. Unless you make a point of bringing attention to it, the vast majority of people don't pay attention. Maybe it's that they don't expect to see someone like me carrying, so in passing, their mind just doesn't register it. Or maybe they're so oblivious and wrapped up in their own lives or cellphones or whatever. No matter the reason, the result is the same.

Anyway, it really depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going that day, but I open carry with some frequency. There have been a few great conversations started from it as well, as people realize that it isn't just criminals and LEOs carrying, and that it isn't limited to big, burly men either.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

+1

I carry both open and concealed, depending on a variety of factors. Concealed is very uncomfortable during the summer for me, even with a little Glock 42/43. I have to wear an undershirt, which increases the level of heat and discomfort that I have to deal with. It's also a lot slower draw. That said, if I'm going somewhere that is occupied by a bunch of soccer moms or Yankee transplants, I will conceal the gun. I will not, however, make that effort if I'm out in the country where no one cares.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2.  I don't make a habit of open carrying, but my background in CCW comes from Florida, where you can be arrested for accidentally allowing a portion of your concealed carry to show, even if only for a brief moment.  In the car, cover garments make drawing cumbersome, so I open carry in the car.  Once, I was almost arrested because I forgot to pull my shirt tail back down over my pistol when entering a store.  Here in Georgia, my mine is more at piece.  I generally carry concealed, but I'm not afraid of carrying openly, either.  I don't buy into the "you'll be the first one shot" frame of mind.  Sure, it might happen, but I might get killed on I20 just getting where I'm going.  I also don't buy into the "open carriers won't get robbed because the criminals will be scared off" line either.  It's happened.  Situational awareness is a much greater deterrence to crime than open carrying.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top