Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2015 3:50:30 PM EDT
A gun range in Atlanta started offering gun cleaning services to their customers.  At first I thought that sounded like a great idea to have someone clean a persons gun if they didn't know much about them or what to clean.  Then I saw the pricing and had to laugh.   $50 for a handgun and $100 for an AR rifle.   F that!

It takes me no more than ten minutes to clean a handgun very well, and no more than 20-30 minutes to do a deep cleaning on an AR (15 minutes for a light cleaning).  

What are your thoughts on these prices?   Sounds way to steep to grab the business of the "too busy to clean" folks after a day of shooting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like they hate cleaning guns so they priced it accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like they hate cleaning guns so they priced it accordingly.
View Quote

This. Th probably got asked so much that they are making the stupid/ lazy pay.  

But then again I'm jaded because I don't shoot guns that need cleaned.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it's geared toward the group of individuals who have the financial means to hire somebody to do damn near everything for them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Caveat emptor.  I'm sure there are folks out there that will pay those prices to have their firearms cleaned, and it doesn't hurt those of us that won't. Good for the business for providing a service that will benefit some of their customers, and hurt none of their customers.  

It will probably take their employees much longer than quoted above to clean a firearm, since they are probably cleaning them in between customers and their other duties. Maybe they have an ultrasonic cleaning tank.

When I worked at Pannell's Firearms I would clean firearms for customers, but I don't remember how much I charged. I know it would sometimes take me all day. Also, you don't end up getting some guys Glock that he just put 100rds through.  You end up getting a Remjngton 742 that belonged to the current owner's father, has been hunted with every season for the past 20 years, and never cleaned. Numerous rifles that I took in to clean I had to plug the muzzle, fill the bore with copper solvent, and let it sit overnight. Think green and fuzzy bore.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't happen to be stoddards would it?  Just moved to the area and saw them and checked out their website.  Looks to be a super yuppie range/store.  I'm guessing prices are on up there
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Its Quikshot....

I tell you.. I should show up with my 1919A4... Its a pain in the ass to take apart.. It would take them a couple of hours, just to figure it out.... it would be worth the $100.00 to see the expression on their face.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Its Quikshot....

I tell you.. I should show up with my 1919A4... Its a pain in the ass to take apart.. It would take them a couple of hours, just to figure it out.... it would be worth the $100.00 to see the expression on their face.
View Quote

THIS ^^^^

Consider some know-it-all assclown putting your Glock together and not doing proper pin order assembly and learning the hard way that it was done wrong when the damn thing locks open on each round. Wouldn't be all that hysterical in a gunfight.

No thanks, I spent the $ ahead of time for an ultrasonic cleaner so I'll do my own.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Except in some cases the gun store employee may know more about the firearm than the owner.

Most folks that own a Glock do not know how to detail strip it.  Then consider more complicated firearms like a 1911, a SIG P220/225/226/228/228 or a Beretta. It may be that the employee cleaning the firearm is factory Armorer certified and can get into parts that the owner can't.

Just cuz some gun store employees are ignorant doesn't mean that all of them are. I worked behind a gun counter for years, and still do from time-to-time.

If someone else does any kind of work on your firearm, and you do not do a thorough function and test-fire before you bet your life on it, doom on you!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Just because a service like this isn't for me or you, don't poo-poo on it. If the employee doing the work knows what they're doing, this is a very beneficial service for a lot of gun owners.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just because a service like this isn't for me or you, don't poo-poo on it. If the employee doing the work knows what they're doing, this is a very beneficial service for a lot of gun owners.
View Quote

Yep, I was amazed when I heard the number of guns that come in to stores for just cleaning. Some people just bring them in for a "check up" and they don't really need anything.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember too the liability of cleaning someone's gun for them.  Doesn't matter if it was your fault or not while cleaning it, you are likely to be the one they are angry at.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its Quikshot....

View Quote

Take it apart? The service is to clean it (toss it into my community pool and wipe it off). Taking it apart is extra.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#13]
who clean's guns

clown
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had to clean many a gun at the range I work at. The two chief culprits are old guns that were neglected for decades in an attic, and guns poisoned by frog lube. I hate doing the latter, it takes forever to get that crap out of all the nooks and crannies. Lesson there is, don't use that gunk on your guns.

For the folks that don't clean your gun... You'll eventually have to, if you actually shoot them. Even the most reliable of guns like Glocks and AKs eventually need service or they stop working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top