Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2015 8:59:34 AM EDT
We should be ashamed of ourselves. The teachers should be ashamed of theirselves. The politicians should be voted out and publicly disgraced. We must fight this common core crap that is being force fed to us. Please watch the video link below.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll watch the video when not in a loud environment, by just reading what the subject is I agree 150%. I pay out the ass for my son to go to private school and would give up more and pay a ton more to make sure he has a good education. Our children are our future, and they deserve more than we can give them to make sure they have a better future than our past.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
It's so much quicker to just line those up and add them vertically. I'm not sure what the objective is in this new approach.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's so much quicker to just line those up and add them vertically. I'm not sure what the objective is in this new approach.
View Quote
It seperates us from our children. The school is the only ones who can teach this. Our way is old and is out of date from what my sons teacher told him.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It seperates us from our children. The school is the only ones who can teach this. Our way is old and is out of date from what my sons teacher told him.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our old and out of date methods have served us well. With traditional math we humans have made tremendous advancements in technology, put men on the moon, explored mars, shrunk the globe via high speed transportation, and built this tool we are communicating on now. Those accomplishments had to be done with precise calculations and extreme accuracy, no way in hell could we be as advanced as we are now if we had been bogged down by all those extraneous calculations or just been making an educated guess as core math suggests.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Video look more to me like they were just introducing the distributive property at an earlier grade in school before you needed it for something more complex. Don't think they were really trying to use it just to solve an addition problem. I never saw it used until the 9th grade math back in the late 60's.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Video look more to me like they were just introducing the distributive property at an earlier grade in school before you needed it for something more complex. Don't think they were really trying to use it just to solve an addition problem. I never saw it used until the 9th grade math back in the late 60's.
View Quote
His home work was two pages of using that method to add numbers.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#7]
So heres my conspiracy theory.

Teachers as a group tend to be above average, but not super smart. They tend to be people that worked their asses off to get A's in school. They know that nearly anyone can do calculus etc if they work at it. Even if they never understand it. They are putting together an architecture that allows children to complete these problems without every understanding how they got there or being able to construct their own method for solving them.

When I was in school I struggled with advanced math because I was the opposite. I spend the first 10 years of school being able to do complex problems my own way in my head. I scored in the 99th percentile in math on all standardized tests. Did great on the SAT. When I got to calculus I hit a wall because it was process driven not intuitive.

We need to single out kids that are good at math and teach them advanced math. There's a view that everyone needs to know calculus and its just BS. Many kids (like I was) would have benefited a lot more by getting an advanced class in practical math like statistics, finance, or applied engineering.

The focus on teaching kids advanced theoretical math is for the educators not the kids. Its a trophy in their mind.

CPL...You probably use more math every day as a HVAC tech than most. A class in HS that talked about the applied use of math in trades / daily life IS the right way to get people interested in thinking jobs.

Many people don't realize it but HVAC / Plumbing / construction etc is more math intense that any office job. You have to think on your feet and develop ways to get to the right answer with multiple variables rather than follow a process that can be put in a spreadsheet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted: A class in HS that talked about the applied use of math in trades / daily life IS the right way to get people interested in thinking jobs.
View Quote

This is what is needed.  I advocate 'trade schools' personally.

I was very angry when I finally realized all the fascinating things I could do with math.

My differential equations professor used to literally yell at me he did not want to see any more electrical 'approximative fomulas' used on the backs of my test papers to 'check my work' using the pure calculus. "But sir, why shouldn't I use as many tools as possible to assure correctness?"  
"You will do it the way I tell you to do it!"

The teachers want this...that ought to be all the warning you need.  My daughter is in private school, and God and the great breaking wheel willing, she will stay there until she is past this crap.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yet incumbents keep winning reelection . The Ga. republicans many used to be democrats. They raised $1 billion in new taxes and in last weeks paper I read they are trying to figure out how to tax VRBO .  WTF do they ever quit with taxes ?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree.   Although the distributive property just might be the wrong tool for solving simple addition problems. Perhaps this does more harm than good... Seriously, we have all been been balancing our checkbooks for years and years without looking for common factors to simplify the basic operations of addition and subtraction.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#11]
My kids won't set foot in a .gov school.  They screw everything up yet miraculously they are awesome at education?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Common Core is bullshit!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Common Core is FUCKING bullshit!
View Quote

Fixed it for you!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems like a lot of folks home school. Good thing about home school, is all the teachers can be armed... maybe the students too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
How is this failing anyone?  Do you think it is overly complex for a 6th grader?  What's wrong with it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top