Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Every time Draconis come out it just keeps gettin' better-n-better!!!
(See pics above)

Just a quickie update on the range. I went out this morning, before work and after lots of sprinkly rain had fallen, and the driveway is draining like a champ! It didn't look like there was much draining off of it, til I got past the edge of the woods and into the power line. At that point the drainage ditch widens and falls off towards the pond. It was amazing how that little trickle of water in the ditch at the crest kept building, and soon added up into making quite a sizable little flood as it traveled downhill. Had that water been running straight down the drive, I have no doubt that we would have been battling the "erosion monster" on a regular basis, trying to keep gravel where it belonged! There's still a couple of small puddle spots to smooth out, but we're talking a shovel full here, and a shovel full there, basically 15 minutes worth of easy hand work. That Draconis has an eye on him like a laser level!!!

We'll be putting a load of gravel on it as soon as we can get some more dry weather. Then, it'll be packed in as best we can, by running the Cat 955 up and down it a few times. After that, it looks like it'll be about time to have a burn party.

DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL!!!
Stay tuned for yet another exciting episode of "Draconis: MASTER BUILDER!"  

(Hopefully, you too, can become an integral part of this intrepid saga. All you need do is just make it out to the range for a workday, or ten. Workday notifications coming soon!!! )

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking forward to getting out there for a workday! Awesome progress so far! Is the road in to the range small front wheel drive car friendly?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking forward to getting out there for a workday! Awesome progress so far! Is the road in to the range small front wheel drive car friendly?
View Quote

It was Saturday as "Emu Junior's" friend drove in and out in one.....Once the gravel is installed it should be again....Either way, the upper area is small car friendly already....
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
How are you planning on spreading the gravel?
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ideally the dump truck driver will be capable of laying two strips of gravel for the tires of the vehicular traffic to ride on, leaving the center bare. That way we can cover the maximum distance of driveway, with the least amount of gravel. I haven't discussed this with the driver yet, but have spoken with his nephew, who is pretty certain that it won't be a problem for him to do this. If, however, the driver is unable to accommodate us, Draconis plans to distribute the gravel with his Bobcat. Having seen what he's accomplished out here to date, I have no doubt he can do an excellent job once he gets the hydraulic line replaced, that turned loose this past Saturday. Having said that, I'm pretty certain that distributing the gravel with the Bobcat will be very time consuming, not to mention being a royal pain in the backside!

Do you have something in mind for the job?!?
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ideally the dump truck driver will be capable of laying two strips of gravel for the tires of the vehicular traffic to ride on, leaving the center bare. That way we can cover the maximum distance of driveway, with the least amount of gravel. I haven't discussed this with the driver yet, but have spoken with his nephew, who is pretty certain that it won't be a problem for him to do this. If, however, the driver is unable to accommodate us, Draconis plans to distribute the gravel with his Bobcat. Having seen what he's accomplished out here to date, I have no doubt he can do an excellent job once he gets the hydraulic line replaced, that turned loose this past Saturday. Having said that, I'm pretty certain that distributing the gravel with the Bobcat will be very time consuming, not to mention being a royal pain in the backside!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just hoping you were not having to do it by hand, my first hand experience knows that that sucks.

You've been very generous to a bunch of members, If you need help with anything send me an IM.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was just hoping you were not having to do it by hand, my first hand experience knows that that sucks.

You've been very generous to a bunch of members, If you need help with anything send me an IM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just talked to the dump truck driver, and told him that, if possible, we wanted two paths of gravel, just for the tires to travel in, in an effort to make one load of gravel (57) cover the length of the newly graded drive. He said: "I can throw a stick of firewood in the bed and do that." Yeah, he's a good ol' boy, LOL, and if he says he can do it, I'm good with that. Of course having known him, and lots of his folks, for a couple of decades, and knowing that they are all pretty much prone to understating their abilities, I'm sure it'll be great when he gets done.

Keep an eye out here for planned workdays, I'm sure we'll have some coming up soon. I'll do my best to remember to IM you too!
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
My son just met the driver out there, and he is of the opinion that we need to wait until next Friday to try to put the gravel down. I was out there this morning and it was pretty slick. I'm thinking all that GA red clay, and that slope (which is truly MUCH better now, but still nothing to sneeze at!) pretty well got him spooked. The bad part is that looking at the forcast just now, they're calling for 3.75"+ of rain for this area starting late Sat. night, and ending late Mon. night!

I'm thinking it's much better to wait for things to dry out and do it right, than it is to rut up the drive, waste a load of gravel, and then start from near scratch and have to regrade everything again. Then with all that rain headed this way, it wouldn't take much to screw things up to the point that nearly 4" of rain could wash out a bunch of work, should that big ol' truck make the grading go a bit wonky! So I'll gladly defer to his 40+ years of experience, knowing his equipment, and knowing the local conditions! The world won't come to an end because we don't have gravel in place by tomorrow evening.

Having said all that, It looks like it'll be at least another week before we get some gravel in place. While the range is NOT closed, unfortunately, folks will be getting a wee bit of extra exercise in order to use it for the next week or so....  
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My son just met the driver out there, and he is of the opinion that we need to wait until next Friday to try to put the gravel down. I was out there this morning and it was pretty slick. I'm thinking all that GA red clay, and that slope (which is truly MUCH better now, but still nothing to sneeze at!) pretty well got him spooked. The bad part is that looking at the forcast just now, they're calling for 3.75"+ of rain for this area starting late Sat. night, and ending late Mon. night!

I'm thinking it's much better to wait for things to dry out and do it right, than it is to rut up the drive, waste a load of gravel, and then start from near scratch and have to regrade everything again. Then with all that rain headed this way, it wouldn't take much to screw things up to the point that nearly 4" of rain could wash out a bunch of work, should that big ol' truck make the grading go a bit wonky! So I'll gladly defer to his 40+ years of experience, knowing his equipment, and knowing the local conditions! The world won't come to an end because we don't have gravel in place by tomorrow evening.

Having said all that, It looks like it'll be at least another week before we get some gravel in place. While the range is NOT closed, unfortunately, folks will be getting a wee bit of extra exercise in order to use it for the next week or so....  
View Quote

Most of us could use a wee bit of exercise.

Just wondering - is there any issue for you as to what we bring out to test? I never did get to sight in my Mosin but also don't want you to have to deal with the Sheriff's office should I get a wild hair and decide that I need to get it all set for the zombie apocalypse.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just wondering - is there any issue for you as to what we bring out to test? I never did get to sight in my Mosin but also don't want you to have to deal with the Sheriff's office should I get a wild hair and decide that I need to get it all set for the zombie apocalypse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries with the Sheriff's Office, for the most part. They're pretty cool out here about firearms. Heck they didn't even bother to show up for the Fall Shoot, which was chock full of fully auto stuff. Maybe it was the notification and the invite that I gave the Sheriff, that kept them away.... or possibly the rain and the mud?!?

If it's legal, it's welcome! As long as that Mosin has a 16"+ barrel, and is 26"+ overall, OR, if it's less, and you possess a stamp for it, bring it on!!!

Granted, I've seen the fireball it produces, and heard the report it makes, so if I'm anywhere near you, I'll be quite a ways behind, and put ear plugs in, under my muffs!  LOL  

HEY, I resemble that remark!!!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got back from a long day at the Emu HTF range.....we had an amazing time! The range was awesome. We made some target stands that will fit standard uspsa targets. We left carboard and paperplates for other shooters....i took some pics of the range and the target stands we made and donated!

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just got back from a long day at the Emu HTF range.....we had an amazing time! The range was awesome. We made some target stands that will fit standard uspsa targets. We left carboard and paperplates for other shooters....i took some pics of the range and the target stands we made and donated!
View Quote

Glad y'all had a good time!!! Thanks MUCH for the donation of the stands and targets!!! Wish I could have been there to meet you and show y'all around, hopefully, next time I can.

Thanks for posting the pics, so that the HTF can see how we're doing out there. That's a cool shot with the panoramic lens!!!

You'd be more than welcome to camp out there if you care to, so that you don't spend as much time driving, as you do shooting. Nothing like hanging out 'round a campfire after a good day's shooting. Hopefully you can come back again soon!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#13]
...Update on 7 November workday....The forecast doesn't look good for this week, and is questionable for next week as well....Stay tuned for further updates...

...We now return you to your regularly scheduled browsing........
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I just looked at the forcast too. They're calling for rain pretty much every day this week out here. I'll get that gravel down ASAP, assuming we don't have issues with erosion on the drive (doubtful, because of Draconis' lazer level eyesight, and exceptional hand/eye coordination!), but it's got to be dry enough to run a tandem axle dump on the drive, before that can happen.

But, with or without gravel on the newly graded section of drive, we still need the doublewide pieces/parts that he pushed into a pile or two, to be at least somewhat dry, if we expect them to be succeptible to the application of heat and oxygen in our attempt at the rapid oxidation of said materials, in the exothermic chemical process of combustion, releasing heat, light, and various reaction products; not to mention reducing those materials to a muchly diminished physical state, comprised mostly of ash. Which will, of course, be far easier to deal with, than a pre-combusted demolished-doublewide size pile of said materials.

Don't forget to bring weenies and smores makin's to the next scheduled AER workday!    
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, I just looked at the forcast too. They're calling for rain pretty much every day this week out here. I'll get that gravel down ASAP, assuming we don't have issues with erosion on the drive (doubtful, because of Draconis' lazer level eyesight, and exceptional hand/eye coordination!), but it's got to be dry enough to run a tandem axle dump on the drive, before that can happen.

But, with or without gravel on the newly graded section of drive, we still need the doublewide pieces/parts that he pushed into a pile or two, to be at least somewhat dry, if we expect them to be succeptible to the application of heat and oxygen in our attempt at the rapid oxidation of said materials, in the exothermic chemical process of combustion, releasing heat, light, and various reaction products; not to mention reducing those materials to a muchly diminished physical state, comprised mostly of ash. Which will, of course, be far easier to deal with, than a pre-combusted demolished-doublewide size pile of said materials.

Don't forget to bring weenies and smores makin's to the next scheduled AER workday!    
View Quote

Adding an accelerant will help with the rapid oxidation. It will make it rapiderer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Adding an accelerant will help with the rapid oxidation. It will make it rapiderer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had planned to use some go juice to get it started. But, I'd prefer not to have to use multiple 55 gallon drums just to get it going!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#17]

<click>.....Test.....test....1..2...3....test....

...Well, it looks like the weather is going to be favorable this weekend for a work day at AER......Hopefully, the weather stays sunny and the gravel can be delivered the end of the week and will need a little dressing up (if they can tailgate it down the drive) or spreading if they can only drop it at the head of the drive.....I got the Bobcat back leak-free and ready to dance either way....

......The trailer remains are ready to be consigned to the flames of progress and with the recent rains there is little fear of meeting the local VFD in uncomfortable circumstances...

....Those of you who are ready, willing and able are welcome to meet up at AER Saturday morning 9-ish or whenever you can make it.....Shovels, stiff rakes and gloves with an option on seating equipment to watch the pretty flames will be the tools of choice.....Uniform of the day should include thick-soled shoes if available......Shooting irons are optional, but would help wile away the time between fire-feeding.......

....That is all......<click>
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know that we'll be able to get the gravel spread, it was misting on me this morning, on my way to work, but I might be able to get him to dump a load out there for you to spread with the Bobcat.... I'm sure that with enough "accelerant" and a few willing hands, the trailer debris can be enticed into becoming smoke and ashes!

I'll be there in the morning to kick things off before having to go to work. I think Emu jr. is previously engaged, but I'll see if I can snag him.

Any other takers out there? Anybody looking for something to do on Saturday? The AER is seeking a few good men.....    ETA: or women.....
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry but change of plans on this weekend.....Something has come up that I need to take care of .....
The new workday will be next Saturday, 21 November....If anyone wants to hit it this weekend, feel free to touch base with Emu....The pile formerly known as a trailer is still lined up for cremation for any of you firebugs out there....
...Seriously, next weekend we will try to get the gravel in and burn off the debris if anyone wants to lend a hand or two......
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I stopped by my quarry yesterday....  I'm not sure what the loggers are using around here, but it isn't 57.  The loggers are using 2-4" rock and I am not sure what it is called.  #4 was a little cheaper than 57.  They told my they are having their largest ever price increase on January 1 - about $30 per load.  

I would be inclined to wait until he can gate spread it in 2 tracks.  The tracks will be parallel, and fairly uniform in depth, and pretty straight.  Not to mention it would take about 90 seconds to spread the gravel that way as opposed to a few hours on the bobcat.  Currently the weather looks good until Wednesday of next week.  Fingers crossed that he could spread on Tuesday before the next round of rain.

Any gopher wood out there?  I'm concerned the animals will start showing up in pairs if the rain continues.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I stopped by my quarry yesterday....  I'm not sure what the loggers are using around here, but it isn't 57.  The loggers are using 2-4" rock and I am not sure what it is called.  #4 was a little cheaper than 57.  They told my they are having their largest ever price increase on January 1 - about $30 per load.  

I would be inclined to wait until he can gate spread it in 2 tracks.  The tracks will be parallel, and fairly uniform in depth, and pretty straight.  Not to mention it would take about 90 seconds to spread the gravel that way as opposed to a few hours on the bobcat.  Currently the weather looks good until Wednesday of next week.  Fingers crossed that he could spread on Tuesday before the next round of rain.

Any gopher wood out there?  I'm concerned the animals will start showing up in pairs if the rain continues.  
View Quote

LOL yeah, that's what it's feeling like!

We went ahead and had my buddy deliver a load of 57 in a pile at the start of the new drive. He hasn't collected the $$$ yet, but last I heard it was to be $395 for the load. The drive, while very firm, was still slick as all get out from the GA red clay that it's made out of. It's now covered in slick-as-all-holy-dickens leaves, until you break out into the power line, which is also still slick, and the part that is covered in leaves isn't getting all that much sun because there are still plenty of leaves in the trees waiting to cover the drive and help keep it slick for the forseeable future! Ugggg  

Draconis made the executive decision that he'd rather have the gravel out there and available for him to spread, with the Bobcat, rather than to wait for things to dry out this coming July.... Having seen what he can do with equipment, far be it from me to question his executive decisions!!! If Draconis wants to tackle spreading the gavel in two tracks with his Bobcat, I'll not stand in his way for one second!  

Hopefully we can get several+ volunteers to help with the trailer going away party next Saturday.
Assuming it doesn't rain.....

Getting ready for the next GAHTF Shoot at the AE Range begins this coming Saturday. Sing out guys and gals we could use a little help on this one!

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Okay...For those who haven't been part of the discussion regarding the long term plans at AER here is the rough idea....The 100, 150 and 200 yard benches and backstops as well as the pistol pit all exist as some of you know (see photo maps below if you've not been to AER yet)...The additions to the range, at least for now, are:

-Outhouse added in the treeline in the neighborhood (but far enough away from ) the pistol pit (not shown on map)
-300 yard bench using the 250 yard backstop (not in use if 100, 150 and 200 yard benches or pistol pit are occupied)
-800 yard bench using the existing rise across the creek with access across the creek (not in use while any other benches, pistol pit or bonfire area are occupied)

Additions to the upper area (see photo map below) at least for now are:
-Covered pavilion (approximately 20' wide X 30' deep) within eyesight of the range area
   Pavilion will include two running water toilets with showers, prep sink near the new grill/BBQ pit beside the pavilion, lights, power and running water
-Convenience posts that will have two duplex outlets and a hose bib for use while camping.
-Two RV convenience posts (nearest Seven Bridges Rd) with 30 amp outlets and hose bibs.  Dump station will be available closer to the pavilion beside the entrance road to empty tanks prior to leaving but not while set up.
-Established bonfire area at the area between the upper camping and range areas near the 300 yard bench

...Right now, the order these will take place are:
-Gravel to make the existing range accessible (current project)
  Drive has been regraded, drainage has been corrected, gravel is on site and needs to be spread
-Install outhouse at range
  Being built when time is available now.  Should be complete and ready for an auger to drill a pit by early/mid December at the latest.
-Pavilion framing and decking
  Material for framing and roof decking is available except one more post (in hand soon ).  Pavilion is needed to mount electrical panel and get power on site prior to other additions
-Rough-in for toilets/showers (electrical and plumbing) as well as convenience posts while getting the existing well back on line
-New grill/BBQ pit adjacent to Pavilion
-Framing for toilets/showers
-Toilet/shower build out and fixtures
-300 and 800 yard benches
  Material for added benches is available and I will be working on them when I finish the outhouse and I'm not at AER.  Access across the creek for the 800 yard target is still in planning.
-Dedicated bonfire pit and area.
Grading will take place as weather permits for the 300 yard bench and bonfire area.

.....These plans, as has been mentioned before, are not set in stone nor will all of this take place in the next few weeks.  However, as the saying goes 'The longest trip starts with one step' and each step we take will be one step closer to the finished product.....

ETA: Workday is scheduled for next Saturday, 21 November to work the gravel in.....

100, 150 and 200 yard ranges

Future 300 and 800 yard ranges

Upper Camping Area

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

....Couldn't agree more with everything....BUT, after talking to Emu to find out what kind of shape the road was in (from the sound of it even waiting till Tuesday wouldn't help) and working with the delivery driver's schedule the decision was made to see when he could deliver, let him look at the road and tailgate it if possible and dump if the driver didn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it...Looks like he didn't like the look of it.....

I would rather have spent a few hours fine tuning the lay of the gravel rather than hauling it down the hill but at least we won't be doing it in wheelbarrows

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Hi Emu, Draconis+Mimi and the rest of ya!This lady Infidel is going to be there on the 11/21 workday to lend hands and torch some wood at the bonfire. Hope it stays dry this go round! Let me know if there is anything specific I should prepare for or bring.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey there DG.....Meme says hey....
As for the workday, I would recommend footwear with good soles (there are still nails in the debris pile), gloves and some type of sitting utensil to watch the pretty flames...

Other than that, if there's time and you bring your shootin' irons, there's no reason why some lead can't be thrown downrange between fire-feeding chores....
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad you can make it Dagny!!! I know of one other (your buddy) who plans to be there, and I'm hoping for a few more. Many hands make for light work...

I DO need to make one correction to Draconis' summary of improvements. Unless he's a FAR nicer guy than I believe him to be (which by the way, in all honesty, is pretty DAMN nice), and he has purchased me an additional 5-10 acres, but has forgotten to mention it to me yet, the max distance we can shoot out here is about ~550 yards~. He may well have been able to get Google maps to tell him we can go 800 yards, but my range finder told me this morning that 550, and possibly just a bit more, is pretty much where we'll max out. Just wanted to mention that in the interest of not fudging the numbers. However, based on certain measurements that I have lead my wife to believe, we could claim something more like 1100 yards, instead of the somewhat shorter 550!!!!

Hopefully we'll have plenty of folks feeding the fire on Saturday!!!

Let me know if anyone needs directions.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Glad you can make it Dagny!!! I know of one other (your buddy) who plans to be there, and I'm hoping for a few more. Many hands make for light work...

I DO need to make one correction to Draconis' summary of improvements. Unless he's a FAR nicer guy than I believe him to be (which by the way, in all honesty, is pretty DAMN nice), and he has purchased me an additional 5-10 acres, but has forgotten to mention it to me yet, the max distance we can shoot out here is about ~550 yards~. He may well have been able to get Google maps to tell him we can go 800 yards, but my range finder told me this morning that 550, and possibly just a bit more, is pretty much where we'll max out. Just wanted to mention that in the interest of not fudging the numbers. However, based on certain measurements that I have lead my wife to believe, we could claim something more like 1100 yards, instead of the somewhat shorter 550!!!!

Hopefully we'll have plenty of folks feeding the fire on Saturday!!!

Let me know if anyone needs directions.
View Quote

...Probably missed the fence location when I ran the Google measurement thingamajig....I trust that you know where your property line is so I defer to your measurement.....the rangefinder one, not the 'Honest, that IS twelve inches' one...
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes Westgram is joining too, he was the one who mentioned it to me. I have leather gloves and hiking boots so rusty metal can stay back.
Tell Meme she will have fellow lady company and I look forward to catching up. I also gave her some numbers in case. See you crazy cats on Saturday. Nothing like a good bonfire!
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got several good friends in that area that work on heavy equipment if the 955 needs any attention. I'm sure they can rustle up some hydraulic oil if needed.

Also I want to put together a first aid bag to donate. Is there somewhere it can be kept dry? Or will it need a water tight container?

Emu: Could you PM me an address I can mail the kit too?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've got several good friends in that area that work on heavy equipment if the 955 needs any attention. I'm sure they can rustle up some hydraulic oil if needed.

Also I want to put together a first aid bag to donate. Is there somewhere it can be kept dry? Or will it need a water tight container?

View Quote

So far the 955 is holding up. I need to get some anti-freeze in it to be safe, after the bottom radiator hose slipped off and we topped her up with water.

That would be fabulous on the first aid kit!!! We had a minor issue at the GAHTF Fall Shoot, and from that I can certainly see where a first aid kit would be a MAJOR asset! I have a couple of bins out there for range supplies, but they are cheapie Walmart bins and are not really 100% waterproof. We plan to put up a storage shed out there, but that is a longer range project. I'll have to see if I can find something to store it in, so we can keep it handy out on the range! Thanks MUCH for the offer!!! IM headed your way!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So far the 955 is holding up. I need to get some anti-freeze in it to be safe, after the bottom radiator hose slipped off and we topped her up with water.

That would be fabulous on the first aid kit!!! We had a minor issue at the GAHTF Fall Shoot, and from that I can certainly see where a first aid kit would be a MAJOR asset! I have a couple of bins out there for range supplies, but they are cheapie Walmart bins and are not really 100% waterproof. We plan to put up a storage shed out there, but that is a longer range project. I'll have to see if I can find something to store it in, so we can keep it handy out on the range! Thanks MUCH for the offer!!! IM headed your way!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll ship it in a waterproof container.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

COOL!!!! TYVM!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi Emu!

Side note: We plan on camping out Saturday night if that is okay, I need to get in as many nights sleeping outdoors before it gets super cold.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hi Emu!

Side note: We plan on camping out Saturday night if that is okay, I need to get in as many nights sleeping outdoors before it gets super cold.
View Quote

I am 110% fine with that!!! Actually that is a fabulous idea, since we'll be having an open fire going on out there! I'll plan to stop in after work and hang out 'round the "campfire" with y'all for a bit before bedtime, assuming y'all don't mind a bit of company tomorrow evening....
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Thank you Draconis, Meme, Westgram, and Emu for the awesome work with the gravel road and bonfire! My abs are stinging, but it was worth it to see the progress. Keep us posted about the Dec workday, I have a few trips planned that month, but if I am available, I will be there.

Loved all the ideas discussed, and look forward to being a part of the improvements.

The Lady Infidel
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank YOU Ms. Dagny, as well as Westgram, Draconis, and MeMe!!! I can not believe the amount of work y'all accomplished after I headed off to work!!!!  

It is official now, the AE Range has excellent access restored, and getting in and OUT should be a breeze, for the foreseeable future! Draconis was spot-on, for the amount of gravel it would take to mend the drive. It still needs a wee bit of packing, but I have high hopes for the GAHTF to assist by coming out to shoot, and a little more packing taking place, on each trip that a vehicle makes, in and out.

We still have plenty of materials for future bonfires, as the workday crew concentrated on graveling the drive to ensure all-weather access, though Emu jr. and his stalwart buddy, who joined us at the Fall Shoot, did their best to get some of the debris burned off. The gravel crew enjoyed the "campfire" til well after dark, then Westgram, Dagny, and I continued to tend it, feed it, and enjoy it, till about 1:00 am. Of course adult beverages made the tending a bit merrier! Westgram and Ms. Dagny camped out, here at the range, so there were no issues enjoying the fire and refreshments until the wee hours!!!

Draconis mentioned trying to put together another workday in mid December, to continue the "campfire" goodness. Hopefully we can finish with the required pyro labor then, so that we may soon begin the construction phases, to stretch out the range a bit, and start putting up the pavilion, campground, outhouse, and restroom facilities. BIG things are in store, and we hope the GAHTF will be a big part of it!!!  

Fingers crossed that Draconis has a few pics to post of the workday.....
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll second (or is it third) the hats off to the workday crew.....I had the easy part just riding back and forth but Dagny, Westgram and Meme did the lion's share of the manual labor..... ...Emu Jr. +1 are regular fire bugs and got the fire pit hot and going (with Emu's initial guidance) before they had to leave and we just fed the beast after that....

..Here's a few pics I snapped during the day, but it got dark and I didn't get an 'after' shot....The final product is much cleaner and smoother than the 'in progress' shots here......Full access is now restored and you can drive down to the bench/pistol pit area.....

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Good to see everyone again.

I can verify that the access is greatly improved. I was able to make it out without much drama before , but it feels like it is paved now.

Hopefully everything dries out a little more between now and next time, and we can burn a little more smoothly.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good to see everyone again.

I can verify that the access is greatly improved. I was able to make it out without much drama before , but it feels like it is paved now.

Hopefully everything dries out a little more between now and next time, and we can burn a little more smoothly.

View Quote

Thanks for the HUGE amount of help you put in on Saturday!!! That "paving" job had an awful lot to do with you and your hard work. I hope you know that you are more than welcome to come out here camping anytime the notion hits you!!! Hopefully, we'll have even nicer facilities for that, out here soon. But knowing you, you'll likely be here helping to build them, so it'll be no suprise to you!

This place wouldn't be nearly so nice without all the effort you've put in on the AE Range!!!!

Thanks again Westgram!!!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#40]
When is the next workday?
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When is the next workday?
View Quote

Since MedicOC has so graciously suggested he conduct a trauma/CPR course out at the range, as a bit of a fund raising activity sometime in late Feb. or March, I think it would be nice to have the pavilion erected in time for him to hold his class under cover, if at all possible! Having said that, I'm thinking we need to hit the ground running in 2016 and shoot for one, if not more, workdays in January. Draconis is the end all, be all, when it comes to this project, so I'll let him set the actual date/dates, but I'm thinking along the lines of 1/9 and/or 1/16, just to be proactive in getting the pavilion up and running in time for the class. What say ye, Draconis, Master Builder?!?

In the meantime, here's a few pics from the other thread about ongoing activities at the range, just so we have all the improvement pics all in one thread.

The completed drive = ALL weather access!!!
Bonus image of the 1957 Cat 955 being utilized (albeit very slowly) for earthmoving improvements.

Draconis' son's GREATLY appreciated donation to the range!

Pic of said son, with a reminder of how awesome Draconis' benches are!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm going to try and get over there sometime the week between Christmas and New Year ( if I can get some time away from work, that is) to do a little fine tuning on the grade at the pavilion area and layout for the post footings.....If time allows and I get the range outhouse complete, I may bring that over as well....
...9 January '16 looks to be as good a day as any (depending on weather) to set the next work day...I hope to have the grading and layout done by then so we can drill the holes and pour the concrete..
..Speaking of which, I haven't fine tuned the numbers on how many bags of Quikcrete it's going to take, but we can start at 'many' with an option on 'a lot' with hopes of staying under 'oh hell, THAT many?' for the post foundations....We're looking at (roughly) just under a cubic yard of concrete or around forty (40) 80 lb. bags....At about $4.00 a bag, that's $160.00....
...I will also bring over the posts on that first workday when we will need a) a strong limb to hoist them off the trailer, b) willing hands and backs to hoist them off the trailer or c) more confidence that 'Neutral' on the 955 is really that....

...In all, I see the workdays along these lines:

1) Drill and pour foundations for posts, unload and stage posts, continue burning debris
2) Set posts and begin structure framing
3) Complete structure framing, begin decking installation
4) Complete roof decking installation, trim out, frame back wall (possibly install back wall siding)
5) Complete wall siding, begin electrical underground
6) Install electrical panel, pull wire, make terminations
----6.A) Electrical inspection for power at panel during the week
7) Install lighting, outlets, etc.
...That's four work days minimum just to get a covered area, seven to have electrical and lighting...You can add a minimum of 8 to 10 more for plumbing, framing and finishes for the toilet/showers and storage room at the pavilion.....That's based on the amount of work likely to take place with the typical number of volunteers we've had so far....Naturally, the more hands, the less time each of these steps will take with the exception of 1) since you can't rush concrete....

..I will post a new thread regarding workdays with a list of work that has been completed, what work is planned for the upcoming workday and tentative date for the next workday along with this list, with any additions or adjustments.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm going to try and get over there sometime the week between Christmas and New Year ( if I can get some time away from work, that is) to do a little fine tuning on the grade at the pavilion area and layout for the post footings.....If time allows and I get the range outhouse complete, I may bring that over as well....
...9 January '16 looks to be as good a day as any (depending on weather) to set the next work day...I hope to have the grading and layout done by then so we can drill the holes and pour the concrete..
..Speaking of which, I haven't fine tuned the numbers on how many bags of Quikcrete it's going to take, but we can start at 'many' with an option on 'a lot' with hopes of staying under 'oh hell, THAT many?' for the post foundations....We're looking at (roughly) just under a cubic yard of concrete or around forty (40) 80 lb. bags....At about $4.00 a bag, that's $160.00....
...I will also bring over the posts on that first workday when we will need a) a strong limb to hoist them off the trailer, b) willing hands and backs to hoist them off the trailer or c) more confidence that 'Neutral' on the 955 is really that....

...In all, I see the workdays along these lines:

1) Drill and pour foundations for posts, unload and stage posts, continue burning debris
2) Set posts and begin structure framing
3) Complete structure framing, begin decking installation
4) Complete roof decking installation, trim out, frame back wall (possibly install back wall siding)
5) Complete wall siding, begin electrical underground
6) Install electrical panel, pull wire, make terminations
----6.A) Electrical inspection for power at panel during the week
7) Install lighting, outlets, etc.
...That's four work days minimum just to get a covered area, seven to have electrical and lighting...You can add a minimum of 8 to 10 more for plumbing, framing and finishes for the toilet/showers and storage room at the pavilion.....That's based on the amount of work likely to take place with the typical number of volunteers we've had so far....Naturally, the more hands, the less time each of these steps will take with the exception of 1) since you can't rush concrete....

..I will post a new thread regarding workdays with a list of work that has been completed, what work is planned for the upcoming workday and tentative date for the next workday along with this list, with any additions or adjustments.....
View Quote

While you chain the poles to the bucket, I could sit up there in the driver's seat, on the 955, and shuttle that stick back and forth, between forward and reverse, REALLY FAST, so you didn't get run over by accident!  

I'm well known for my helpfulness.....  
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Ahhhhhhhhh.....no thank you
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm going to have to send over a drill schedule so you can stop making the work days the weekends I have drill!
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm going to have to send over a drill schedule so you can stop making the work days the weekends I have drill!
View Quote

Never fear! We're in a race to get the pavilion up by 3/13.

I've got a hunch there will be LOTS of workdays to choose from, between now and then!!!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top