Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2015 10:08:48 PM EDT
Is it OK to have or not to have a wobble play between the upper n lower receiver? The LWRC I got has more then I prefer. My 6.8 and first ar I built doesn't have any. And they don't have take up screws or accu wedges. But I did put in a accu wege on it and it seemed to locked it down nice n tight..  

So is it personal preference or a bad thing to have when want better accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I always heard that it made little or no difference in accuracy. But personally, I can't imagine how it could NOT be at least slightly detrimental to your accuracy. Granted the sights and barrel are not affected at all by that wiggle, but if it wiggles as you pull the trigger, I don't see how it would not affect your accuracy to some degree.

I know that it bothers me when I shoot a gun with the wiggle factor. So maybe the gun is just as accurate, but I'm not....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
i guess depending on how bad it is, is the wobble movement or just gap?  i could see problems if it moved around when putting pressure against your shoulder too much i guess or pulling trigger.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i guess depending on how bad it is, is the wobble movement or just gap?  i could see problems if it moved around when putting pressure against your shoulder too much i guess or pulling trigger.
View Quote

It's movement. I can put a hand on both and move them. The gap I understand stand cuz they are not a mated set.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I qualified expert in bootcamp, I could put about 20 pages of my green monster in the gap between the upper and lower.  Did it make me uneasy, yep, effect accuracy? Not by minute of man.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I qualified expert in bootcamp, I could put about 20 pages of my green monster in the gap between the upper and lower.  Did it make me uneasy, yep, effect accuracy? Not by minute of man.
View Quote

With 3moa rated ammo? I think the op was leaning more towards MOA or better precision.

I don't know if this is right or not, but what I've always thought was that zero play is what you want. From the time that the firing pin strikes the primer until the projectile leaves the muzzle you want minimum movement. Think about the emphasis that is put on soft cycling and not over gassing a rifle. In my mind, a loose fitting upper to lower would allow for small variations in the POI due to slight changes in the shifting of the POA by the upper moving while the round is traveling down the barrel. Hopefully an AR guru can give more insight.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I put one of those rubber bumper devices in that stops all the wiggle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Accu-Wedge. It will stop the rattle, not sure it will have any effect on accuracy, but it can't hurt.

Or do what i do, stuff a foam earplug in there. It will conform on its own where the wedge may need trimming.
And I'm cheap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Accu-Wedge. It will stop the rattle, not sure it will have any effect on accuracy, but it can't hurt.

Or do what i do, stuff a foam earplug in there. It will conform on its own where the wedge may need trimming.
And I'm cheap.
View Quote

That's it, I couldn't remember it's name.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm cheap.

U just wanted to recant to keep from sounding like a redneck building operator!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a redneck building operator
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]
As much as the LWRC costs I would at least shoot them an email asking if this was normal ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top