Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2015 10:24:14 AM EDT
Me and other dad's around my neighborhood take the kids a few times a year camping. It's only the dad's and we typically have a dozen or more kids just running wild and having an all around great time. Kids usually or number the dad's 2:1.

I would like to do something more than just burgers and hot dogs for dinner. But I am lost on suggestions! MREs and other freeze dried foods are out. Looking online the only thing I've been finding are quasi gourmet meals that require a few hours of prep. We want the kids to have fun so they want to keep going camping, would be great if they could start participating more too. The oldest is around 8 youngest being 2!

So dad's and campers, what are some good dinner cooking ideas for kiddos?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I take my griddle and do a big breakfast of eggs, sausage, bacon and hashbrowns over the fire.

I like to precook stuff to heat up, red beans and rice or gumbo is always good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
We do breakfast burritos and those work great.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Try silver turtles. Aluminum foil, hamburger meat, onions, potatoes, green peppers, etc. wrap in foil and place in edge of fire. Look up brown paper bag eggs and bacon for breakfast.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Inside aluminum foil put beef tips, pearl onions, sliced carrots, chunks of potatoes, cherry tomatoes, and a drizzle of A1 or 57 steak sauce. Wrap up tight, set in coals, and let steam until carrots and beef is tender.

Making my mouth water just typing it,
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I did breakfast with my kids using an iron skillet on the coals.  My kids had an aversion to the appearance of the eggs after having cooked bacon and potatoes in the same pan.  They got over it but something to look out for.  Might want to cook the eggs first then use aluminum foil to keep them warm while cooking the rest or line the skillet with something maybe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The aluminum foil recipes are what my kids call a "hobo".  They love making them.  Get the 12 kids involved, with the oldest ones cutting the veggies and each of them packing and seasoning their own foil packet.  Then finish up with roasted marshmallows or s'mores.  They'll talk about it for a long time.

If you have access to a dutch oven, my kids really like peach cobbler.  They have to prepare the peaches and help with the bisquick mix.  I bring a can of whipped cream and they eat it like candy.

If you can fish while you camp they think it's really cool to eat fish they caught with some rice.  Again, aluminum foil is your friend...

Fire roasted corn ears take up a lot of volume but are also really popular.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Apple dump cake in a dutch oven, you REALLY REALLY need to give it a try. I'll dig up some photos.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apple dump cake in a dutch oven, you REALLY REALLY need to give it a try. I'll dig up some photos.
View Quote

Looks like I need a Dutch oven! I have plenty of cast iron.....but no Dutch oven!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
At our last cub scout campout, we made tacos with all of the trimmings. The boys really liked it. They especially enjoyed being able to help prepare the food.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Apple Dump Cake......

Duck wrapped in peppered bacon...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dutch ovens are awesome for a lot of baking.  They make a great pizza if your oven is big enough, and the kids can make them since its so simple.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#12]
if you buy a dutch oven make sure you go ahead and buy the paper liners. They are a must have!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At our last cub scout campout, we made tacos with all of the trimmings. The boys really liked it. They especially enjoyed being able to help prepare the food.
View Quote

I use the cast iron griddle for this too. Seth, go find a good supermercado and load up on some meat and cheap veggies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did breakfast with my kids using an iron skillet on the coals.  My kids had an aversion to the appearance of the eggs after having cooked bacon and potatoes in the same pan.  They got over it but something to look out for.  Might want to cook the eggs first then use aluminum foil to keep them warm while cooking the rest or line the skillet with something maybe.
View Quote

Eggs in bacon grease are the best eggs!!!  I know, my granny told me a long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Eggs in bacon grease are the best eggs!!!  I know, my granny told me a long time ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  I told them I wouldn't have a problem eating theirs if they didn't want them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Try silver turtles. Aluminum foil, hamburger meat, onions, potatoes, green peppers, etc. wrap in foil and place in edge of fire. Look up brown paper bag eggs and bacon for breakfast.
View Quote
Yup, we always called them "Bear Claws" in scouts or a "Hobo dinner" but they are one of my favorites.

You can also buy the shake up bisquick mix for pancakes in the morning.

For dessert nothing beats a cobbler cooked in a dutch over.  Another good one is to cut and apple in half, pour some cinnamon and brown sugar on the halves, put it back together, wrap in foil and then cook in the fire like the silver turtles.  It turns into a warm apple sauce type thing you can eat with a spoon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
To add to the recipe mix: River taters

We always made them camping on the river so it fit. Any kind of deep pan, bigger the better. Slice your taters like you would to fry them and lay them in the pan. Cover with onion sliced/diced to whatever consistency you prefer and top it with ample butter, sour cream, and any and all kinds of cheese you want/like. Cover with foil and cook until taters are soft. You can do this with just foil, but it can get messy and is harder to move unless you use a lot. Works in the oven at home too.

If your like me you can add mushrooms too and that's pretty good, but if you can sauté those on the side with onions and moore's I prefer that more. A decent cake sized pan of these would last about 20 minutes around 4-5 adults with a few beers in them, so adjust recipe to compensate.

ETA: Sorry forgot to mention, I've ate them plain and with seasoning and they're fine without. But salt/pepper/season to your liking, or cook without and let folks add to taste if you're with picky eaters.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#18]
For men in the wild:

http://www.girlscoutsla.org/documents/4_Foil_Pack_Ember_Cooking_Recipes.pdf

No offense... I have three daughters.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Take mine trout fishing.  take a potatoe, head of cabbage, and fresh cleaned trout.  Slice the potato and cabbage into fourths (can add carrots too if they like) and place a 1/4 slice along with a fresh cleaned trout and a pat of butter into foil.  Wrap tight and toss on the grill (or whatever you have) for around 45 mins.  Delicious
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Dutch Oven, Brunswick stew or chili.

Close to a lake or stream, hard to be freshly caught fish as well.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking forward to cooler temps and camping. Really don't like to camp when it is hot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looking forward to cooler temps and camping. Really don't like to camp when it is hot.
View Quote

I actively avoid it, we pretty much camp only October - April.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top