Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 6:58:57 PM EDT
Who/what services do you use for background/credit checks?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#1]
We use www.postlets.com to list. They list on all major boards. They also do the background checks through smart move which is a transunion company.

$35 per applicant.

Lots of info.

WARNING if you list nationally be prepared to get lots of out of state inquiries. We did one day walk throughs which included two over Skype.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We use www.postlets.com to list. They list on all major boards. They also do the background checks through smart move which is a transunion company.

$35 per applicant.

Lots of info.

WARNING if you list nationally be prepared to get lots of out of state inquiries. We did one day walk throughs which included two over Skype.
View Quote

x2 on postlets.

I've used rentprep.com in the past . . . works great for background checks.

I don't do credit checks anymore . . . I think like one person who ever applied for one of my rentals had a credit score over 700.  99% of them are 600 +/-50 . . . didn't see a point to it after awhile.  Background check and digging through their work and personal references was a lot more foolproof but really you get a decent idea in the first 5 minutes of meeting them.

I also drive-by their current housing and scan for them on social media.  Amazing what people put out there publicly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

x2 on postlets.

I don't do credit checks anymore . . . I think like one person who ever applied for one of my rentals had a credit score over 700.  99% of them are 600 +/-50 . . . didn't see a point to it after awhile.  Background check and digging through their work and personal references was a lot more foolproof but really you get a decent idea in the first 5 minutes of meeting them.

I also drive-by their current housing and scan for them on social media.  Amazing what people put out there publicly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$35 per applicant.

Lots of info.

x2 on postlets.

Good info. I have never done the drive by.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask to go to the prospected rentors current place of residence, will tell you much more than a background check.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ask to go to the prospected rentors current place of residence, will tell you much more than a background check.
View Quote

If they shrug and say "Sure", or pause and have an 'oh shit' look on their face will tell you pretty much everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some friends of ours own a few dozen rental properties in OH and visits every tenant they are considering. When the prospect fills out an application they have to include current address. If our friends decide they are a viable tenant they just show up to ask a few questions, and are able to see how they are keeping the current place. He has been doing this for decades and feels it is one of the most important steps he takes in finding good/clean renters. He doesnt have to visit all, just the one or few he thinks he would allow to sign.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Asking to visit or come take a look is one thing, and I see how that is a good deciding factor to consider and don't disagree. Just showing up unannounced wanting to come in and ask me questions is a bit much. If I rented from you you're welcome anytime until it gets stalkerish then I'm moving. If I'm just asking about a place and you pop up without at least a little notice I probably wouldn't rent anyway. I could be doing naughty things on my only day alone without kids with the blinds open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top