BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seriously, you better bring him.  If we don't have some federal oversight, how will we all survive?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Add me, and possibly the ATF man.

ETA: I will be there Friday-Saturday.

Seriously, you better bring him.  If we don't have some federal oversight, how will we all survive?

I could try to find another agent if needed, a little more subtle in his jack booted thugery .
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I could try to find another agent if needed, a little more subtle in his jack booted thugery .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Add me, and possibly the ATF man.

ETA: I will be there Friday-Saturday.

Well bring Agent Tim #2 as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've also got one of those little Honda, quiet type, suitcase generators too.

Granted, it hasn't been cranked in over a year, and may need the carb cleaned out, but I'll try to dig it out in the near future, and see if I can make it go putter-putt again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got an EU2000i or I could perhaps bring something considerably larger and diesel powered that would run everything.  We would just have cords running all over the place...
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got an EU2000i or I could perhaps bring something considerably larger and diesel powered that would run everything.  We would just have cords running all over the place...
View Quote

Don't forget the tent.  

And MREs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't forget the tent.  

And MREs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the tent.  

And MREs.

And a gas mask for MFF when you go to the shitter after a few MREs.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Would you guys think we would benefit from one larger quiet generator that would run eveything? If so, I could perhaps make it happen. Some MRE's are doable as well. Hugh and I would need to go pick up the big tent if y'all want it...
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would you guys think we would benefit from one larger quiet generator that would run eveything? If so, I could perhaps make it happen. Some MRE's are doable as well. Hugh and I would need to go pick up the big tent if y'all want it...
View Quote

I have no objection to any of the above! To be perffectly clear though, as far as I'm concerned, Southerncross gets to make ALL the decisions, I just get to say yes or no.

Southerncross and Ytka have been out fairly recently, with Cola Warrior SE in mind, so they have a clue as to what we're dealing with out here. However, having said that, I think an early meeting, on site, for any and all interested folk, in order to judge the "lay of the land," and offer up opinions, might be beneficial to aid in the overall planning.

Just a suggestion, but AGAIN I say: Southerncross (and Ytka if he cares to be involved!) get/s to make ALL the decisions!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The tent wouldn't hurt if its not too much trouble Joe.

I'm cool with getting a few folks together beforehand. We'll have a cleanup/prep day at some point anyway.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, so I can be a little slow sometimes....I hate to say how long I studied on what 'HTF' means....

So, now that I've figured THAT out (please tell me it's 'Home Town Forum' and not something like 'How To Fart' or 'Hit The Fatguy') I'm still a little in the dark about exactly what a 'HTF Shoot and Eat' is....I got the two main points I think, but can someone clue me in on what kinda' goings on happen at such a shindig?

I've read over the posts, saw the beautiful place 'Emu' has, gleaned a few bits and pieces (car burning?) but any other input would be welcome....I've already mentioned it to my wife, including that this doesn't seem to be just an excuse for a 'guy's day out' with strippers and from what I've read she won't be the only sitter among pointers so she's interested as well....
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK, so I can be a little slow sometimes....I hate to say how long I studied on what 'HTF' means....

So, now that I've figured THAT out (please tell me it's 'Home Town Forum' and not something like 'How To Fart' or 'Hit The Fatguy') I'm still a little in the dark about exactly what a 'HTF Shoot and Eat' is....I got the two main points I think, but can someone clue me in on what kinda' goings on happen at such a shindig?

I've read over the posts, saw the beautiful place 'Emu' has, gleaned a few bits and pieces (car burning?) but any other input would be welcome....I've already mentioned it to my wife, including that this doesn't seem to be just an excuse for a 'guy's day out' with strippers and from what I've read she won't be the only sitter among pointers so she's interested as well....
View Quote

The wives are always invited. My wife goes with or without me to these things.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who needs strippers for a "Guys Weekend" when you have Machine Guns and Silencers!!!!!!!  Well on second thought, guess we could use the strippers to serve drinks and food at the end of each day's shooting activities. Joe, do you think you can rig up a pole?

The GAHTF Shoot is a couple days of shooting just about anything that goes BANG that one has proper paperwork for IE Title II firearms and devices are welcome. Most of the guys will let you have some trigger time and especially if you bring the caliber and type of ammo that they like fired through their toy IE most guys want factory brass ammo (most AK guys could care less though). At the end of the day and only when all the shooting is done, its time for food and ones favorite beverage. We might all be crazy, but we are safe IE alcohol and firearms don't mix so no open containers until the end of the day.

Speaking of going BANG, is anybody bringing a belt fed that fires 7.62X54R? I still have my spam can from last year that I didn't get to shoot.

And as to your opening questions, I think all three of those answers are right, but Georgia Home Town Forum is what GAHTF on the shirts means. Speaking of shirts, is somebody on that already?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Speaking of going BANG, is anybody bringing a belt fed that fires 7.62X54R? I still have my spam can from last year that I didn't get to shoot.

View Quote

Yes, unless I am told to leave the fire breathing dragon at home.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You better bring it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine will be there as well, at least for saturday.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
What do we have for lighting needs?  I have a couple portable halogens and plenty of extension cords.  

Joe do you still have that portable sun you brought to the last shoot?  If so, 400North can use it when he sets his tent up again in the pouring rain at o'dark:30.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been to numerous GAHTF shoots, but this will be my first whole weekend shindig, and for that matter, the first time one will have been held at the Emu range. Basically, it's a day of "meet and greet" with large doses of firearms, ammo, and food, coupled with a movie, campfire, and libations after dark. Who could ask for more?

This is a Georgia Power right of way, with no power line yet erected, that crosses thru the middle of my property. Because of that, we can't erect any permanent structures in the right of way. Shade will likely be somewhat, to very limited, so any of you that have those pop-up canopies, might want to bring them. Depending on the weather, fans can make a huge difference too. I know several folks have mentioned generators, so I suspect there will be ample power available for fans. I have in mind to try building a PVC "hoop house,"or 2, with a tarp roof for shade, but that is still in pipe dream mode for now. No picnic tables, or rifle racks, so plan to bring something to put your weaponry on, and something to set your hind end on as well, even if it's only a tarp or blanket. I'm not sure on the specifics of camping at this point, but I'm sure, no matter what you bring, we can figure out a spot to put you. Granted the range cuts catty-wompus thru the middle of my place, but there's 57.5 acres out here, so we'll find a spot for ya! As far as I'm concerned, you're welcome to show anytime starting Friday morning, and we'll break up Sunday morning/afternoon. If for some reason you need to bring the camper/tent/tarp out earlier, or leave it to pick up later, IM or call me, arrangements will be made.

Unless you are a very jaded individual, I can pretty much guarantee that you will be impressed by the sheer numbers and variety of firearms brought to the shoot! Mostly tactical stuff, but anything legal is welcome, and likely to be there, Fudd guns absolutely included. If you are thinking about buying something, but want to try it before you buy it, sing out, and someone will likely have one they'll bring for you to try. Those of you with NFA items will need to be sure to have your paperwork. I'll be surprised if the local po-po don't drop in at some point. If y'all want to have a swap meet kinda thing/area, I have no objections.

Basically the range consists of a ~30' x 5.5'~ pistol berm, and three (100, 150, & 200 yard) ~12' x 5'~ rifle backstops. There will be steel targets at the pistol berm, as well as the rifle backstops. There should be plenty to shoot at, but If you have targets to bring, well, the more the merrier! We're trying to find some heavy steel objects for armor piercing targets, and various fruits and veggies have been suggested as being visually stimulating, as well as horse friendly. (This is my horses' pasture we're shooting in.) We can prolly accommodate up to 7 shooters on the pistol range at a time. The rifle side is a bit sketchier, as there are no shooting benches installed yet. I've got my fingers crossed for several benches before the shoot. There's probably room for 6-8 of them, but, funds, and labor are currently not available.

I think we need to make chamber flags mandatory for all firearms (excellent idea GaHunter, tyvm) and of course eye, and ear protection will be required. I think those of you who have not attended a shoot will be greatly impressed by the level of safe firearms handling exhibited by the attendees, I know I always am! I'm sure we will have some designated Range Officers (hopefully in brightly colored Fall GAHTF RO shirts), but we will expect EVERYONE to diligently observe their fellow shooters and offer friendly, and helpful advice, to those who may not have the experience and knowledge to be 110% safe, in such an active environment. Having 50-75 attendees with an average of 6+ weapons each (yeah, I know, that's a probably a very conservative number on both counts...) is an awful lot of responsibility. Every GAHTF shoot I've ever been to has been uber safe, I'm sure y'all will continue to impress!!! Wives, girlfriends, kids, non-shooting buddies, etc., are all welcomed, and ENCOURAGED, but PLEASE keep a close watch on the less savvy, and ESPECIALLY THE KIDS!!! We want this sport to grow, but someone getting hurt, or killed (ESPECIALLY A KID!!!) is the quickest way to put and end to these shoots!

We'll prolly need to organize a work day or two, depending on what yall want to have prepped out here to make for a nicer shoot. At the very least we'll need help the weekend before, and/or, the Friday of the shoot, to knock down the weeds, prepare targets, and such. But now I'm prolly stepping on Southerncross' toes, 'cuz he's the organizer guru, and I just wanted to give you a basic overview of what to expect.

All questions and suggestions ALWAYS welcomed and encouraged!

Hope to see LOTS of new and old faces out here in about 3 months!!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What do we have for lighting needs?  I have a couple portable halogens and plenty of extension cords.  

Joe do you still have that portable sun you brought to the last shoot?  If so, 400North can use it when he sets his tent up again in the pouring rain at o'dark:30.  
View Quote

Boy, was that entertaining to watch.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Well now, that definitely sounds like something me and Mrs. Draconis would like to attend.....Thanks Emu for the rundown on what to expect...

Count us in, me +1...Hope to arrive Friday with a pull-behind (for the 'home away from home' feeling) to help as we can on the set up...

Also, let me know when the pre-set-up-set-up date(s) are.....being only 2 hours or so away, a day trip to help out isn't out of the question...Also, let me know what we may need (that hasn't been mentioned) and I will see what I can do....As I mentioned in the introduction post, I'm in construction so if we need that type of stuff hollar out...I also have three wooden portable target stands (6'-0" tall X 2'-0" wide) and access to some steel for that 'ding' or AP rounds....Emu, can you give me an idea of what you have in mind for shooting benches?....That sounds up my alley and I could try to help out on those as well....

As for weapons, ya'll are going to give me a serious case of firearm envy, I just know it....  I'm going to feel like a red-headed stepchild with my lil' old M4, a pistol or five and none of them special to anyone be me and mine......I'll just have to explain to the Mrs. that before NEXT year I've got to catch up.....LOL...

Seriously, I appreciate the invite and look forward to it....
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm doing most of the organizing of this event, so if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I'll make a post in here and a thread seperate from this prior to a pre-HTF work day.

I'll probably bring my shooting bench on the trailer before the shoot (will accomodate left or right hand shooters) and there may be others who bring a bench as well.  

We've got the capability to go to 250yds pretty easily out there, but I imagine we'll be doing most of our shooting at 25 - 200yds.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm doing most of the organizing of this event, so if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I'll make a post in here and a thread seperate from this prior to a pre-HTF work day.

I'll probably bring my shooting bench on the trailer before the shoot (will accomodate left or right hand shooters) and there may be others who bring a bench as well.  

We've got the capability to go to 250yds pretty easily out there, but I imagine we'll be doing most of our shooting at 25 - 200yds.
View Quote

Sounds good...I'll keep an eye out...

BTW, for those of us that don't know what everyone might be bringing, would it be worthwhile to start a new thread where people can volunteer what they plan to  bring?....I know I saw a reference to a .50 somewhere and would gladly put down some change on some rounds for a chance to pop off a few (for example)....That would give the owner a chance to suggest what they prefer in their weapon for anyone who might be interested......
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

BTW, for those of us that don't know what everyone might be bringing, would it be worthwhile to start a new thread where people can volunteer what they plan to  bring?....I know I saw a reference to a .50 somewhere and would gladly put down some change on some rounds for a chance to pop off a few (for example)....That would give the owner a chance to suggest what they prefer in their weapon for anyone who might be interested......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, works for me. Before the end of July I will make a new thread with all the info, including dates, who is in/maybes, food, donations account, ammenities, etc. I can add a section for out of the ordinary/more rare firearms and let the guys who normally bring that stuff chime in with what they have and what they prefer you to use in them. One of our generous Class 3 owners that regularly attends typically hands you a full mag and an awesome play toy and says "have fun", but everyone is pretty free with anything they have. We really have a great bunch of guys here.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Another question for you SC.....What is the plan for toilet facilities?.....I realize most of the pointers can find a handy tree, and some sitters are not opposed to finding a bush somewhere, but to make Emu's life easier without people tracking through his home, would porta-johns be something to look into?
I ask because I've got an 'in' with a local (Macon area) company that I can probably sweet talk into a good deal.....Let me know...

Oh, and I know you guys have done this before and many times long before I got here and without my input so if I'm getting ahead of things or muddying the waters, let me know.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm in +1
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Another question for you SC.....What is the plan for toilet facilities?.....I realize most of the pointers can find a handy tree, and some sitters are not opposed to finding a bush somewhere, but to make Emu's life easier without people tracking through his home, would porta-johns be something to look into?
I ask because I've got an 'in' with a local (Macon area) company that I can probably sweet talk into a good deal.....Let me know...

Oh, and I know you guys have done this before and many times long before I got here and without my input so if I'm getting ahead of things or muddying the waters, let me know.....
View Quote

If we could get a decent price including delivery and pickup to Madison for two units (Friday delivery, Sunday/Monday pickup), that would be great.  I'm all for people helping us as much as possible, because these things don't organize themselves.  We have a lot of good people that help with these events, and you're welcome to share the load with us.  As far as what I've been involved organizing, last October was my first.  I'm all ears if you or anyone else has suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm in +1
View Quote

Good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whatever you want to bring is welcome Tim.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey SC, I know you are busy but did you see my post about shirts? Do we have somebody or a shirt committee working on Fall Shoot Shirts?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Would there be any problems if I bring a guest ????

My son wants to attend but with his schedule it's real ifffy .

gd
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Would there be any problems if I bring a guest ????

My son wants to attend but with his schedule it's real ifffy .

gd
View Quote

Bring him. It's cool.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey SC, I know you are busy but did you see my post about shirts? Do we have somebody or a shirt committee working on Fall Shoot Shirts?
View Quote

No committee as of yet but I'm open to ideas. I'm for sure gonna do a shirt design at some point for the HTF shoot and we will figure out how to get it printed up, whether its through the ARFCOM print shop or not. Some of the guys have expressed wanting to have a rebel flag and the half fawn logo on it, so I'm going to try and work that in.  We may end up doing Ga HTF shirts as well as HTF shoot attendee shirts.  I'm leaning towards doing both just because somebody is going to whine about whatever design I come up with if it has the half fawn on it. if we have an option that'll satisfy everyone. . . maybe.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
How 'bout a bright colored version of the shoot shirt (red, yellow, or orange) with maybe a big RO or STAFF on the back, for range officers and/or officials, so they kinda stick out, and are easy to spot, during the shoot? With 75 or so folks wandering around, it might be nice to be able to identify the guys who will be Range Officers, or who can make a decision, by the shirt they're wearing.

Not critical, just my 2¢.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

How 'bout a bright colored version of the shoot shirt (red, yellow, or orange) with maybe a big RO or STAFF on the back, for range officers and/or officials, so they kinda stick out, and are easy to spot, during the shoot? With 75 or so folks wandering around, it might be nice to be able to identify the guys who will be Range Officers, or who can make a decision, by the shirt they're wearing.

View Quote
I think that makes great sense.  Do it in safety yellow or orange.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good to me. Most of my work shirts are hazard orange or caution yellow now anyway. I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't have to apologize for a suggestion, I'm open to any good ideas.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

.....<snip>

Also, let me know when the pre-set-up-set-up date(s) are.....being only 2 hours or so away, a day trip to help out isn't out of the question...Also, let me know what we may need (that hasn't been mentioned) and I will see what I can do....As I mentioned in the introduction post, I'm in construction so if we need that type of stuff hollar out...I also have three wooden portable target stands (6'-0" tall X 2'-0" wide) and access to some steel for that 'ding' or AP rounds....Emu, can you give me an idea of what you have in mind for shooting benches?....That sounds up my alley and I could try to help out on those as well....

<snip>......

View Quote

I am wide open as to the benches. They would pretty much be out in the weather on the range 24/7/365, so I'm thinking pressure treated would almost be a necessity. At one point I was leaning toward making some forms to use for concrete benches.  While they would be both heavy/solid and long lasting, the work involved would be considerable. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Anything beats what we got!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a link to the plans for the one I built for my place. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.horstguns.com/services/shooting-bench

http://www.horstguns.com/pdf/HandMcopyrightedshootingbench.pdf

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

At least he didn't have 2 people working on it and get mocked from a distance cause it took so long to put up their tent .
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#39]

If we could get a decent price including delivery and pickup to Madison for two units (Friday delivery, Sunday/Monday pickup), that would be great.  I'm all for people helping us as much as possible, because these things don't organize themselves.  We have a lot of good people that help with these events, and you're welcome to share the load with us.  As far as what I've been involved organizing, last October was my first.  I'm all ears if you or anyone else has suggestions.
View Quote

I made a phone call today to get the lay of the land as far as a couple of units...The people we deal with will deliver to Madison for a special event and I primed the pump with "It's a great opportunity for free advertising since there will be a bunch of people there that will see you name......so that should help offset the cost, right?"...They are going to check on it and let me know the numbers....I'll let you know what I find out....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

At least he didn't have 2 people working on it and get mocked from a distance cause it took so long to put up their tent .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And one of the mockers was a 10 year old
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am wide open as to the benches. They would pretty much be out in the weather on the range 24/7/365, so I'm thinking pressure treated would almost be a necessity. At one point I was leaning toward making some forms to use for concrete benches.  While they would be both heavy/solid and long lasting, the work involved would be considerable. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Anything beats what we got!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.....<snip>

<snip>......

...I probably don't have time for concrete between now and this September but I will see what I can do before the next shoot....If I can get the form worked out I can catch the left-overs from future pours and do them one module at a time (front 'U' shaped legs, rear leg with cross member to connect to front legs, top) and make them light enough to move in pieces but strong enough to hold up....
....Or, I can get a steel framed version worked out that would then have a wooden (treated) top.....
..I will study on the problem and see what I can come up with as far as a more 'lasting' solution...For now, I've found a few portable designs that can be tweaked to make them right and left handed and still be broken down for transport or storage.....Those I might have time to get together....

..How many do you guys think will be needed?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ATF boys ought to be able to operate in the dark, yo.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#43]

IN +1

Been looking forward to a HTF shoot at Emu's place since I helped at his range workday. Nice place
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Add me and a plus 1 .I am maybe on a plus 2.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

IN +1

Been looking forward to a HTF shoot at Emu's place since I helped at his range workday. Nice place
View Quote

Glad you can make it Bear!

You've got a blood, sweat, and tears investment out here!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I had a link to the plans for the one I built for my place. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.horstguns.com/services/shooting-bench

http://www.horstguns.com/pdf/HandMcopyrightedshootingbench.pdf

View Quote

That's a nice solid simple bench!

(Made the link hot)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

...I probably don't have time for concrete between now and this September but I will see what I can do before the next shoot....If I can get the form worked out I can catch the left-overs from future pours and do them one module at a time (front 'U' shaped legs, rear leg with cross member to connect to front legs, top) and make them light enough to move in pieces but strong enough to hold up....
....Or, I can get a steel framed version worked out that would then have a wooden (treated) top.....
..I will study on the problem and see what I can come up with as far as a more 'lasting' solution...For now, I've found a few portable designs that can be tweaked to make them right and left handed and still be broken down for transport or storage.....Those I might have time to get together....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.....<snip>

<snip>......

Southerncross posted a link to a nice bench! http://www.horstguns.com/services/shooting-bench

I don't know how much scrap material you have access to, but one bench would be one more than we have currently!

Three would be fabulous, and I suspect, with the kind of crowd it looks like may show, 5 or 6 would not be too many. But I begin to sound greedy......  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this dirt shooter from the sloppy completion of a soft place to lay my head after blowing to pieces Emu's pretty range.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Southerncross posted a link to a nice bench! http://www.horstguns.com/services/shooting-bench

I don't know how much scrap material you have access to, but one bench would be one more than we have currently!

Three would be fabulous, and I suspect, with the kind of crowd it looks like may show, 5 or 6 would not be too many. But I begin to sound greedy......  

View Quote

...I've been a studyin' on them today....I've got an idea of a simple three legged beast with a frame of steel that will withstand the test of time but be mobile if needed, roughly the same overall dimensions as SC's only triangular....Now, the top to the animal is still under consideration as plywood would get us by for now but wouldn't hold up to the elements....Pressure treated 5/4 board would give it that 'homey' feel of the backyard deck, but would still warp over time....Pressure treated 2Xs would hold up better.....It's a puzzler...Then there is the question of how to make the seat adjustable for the shortest or tallest amongst the herd.....
...I will get something on paper (when I get the ideas in some form of logical order) and post it here for a critique and suggestions from those who know what they like in a shooting bench.....

...As for the number, I don't think five or six would be asking too much....Some may be of the more mobile/portable type with plywood tops, steel pipe legs and no seat and the rest of them steel framed hosses....The deciding factor is quantity of steel available and setting aside some time to weld up the frames....

...Oh, and I'm working on a design for some hanging 'ding' steel for targets (unless something that could be anchored at an angle to deflect ricochets safely is preferred..I've got an idea for that too)......I've been laying claim to anything extra that is laying around today.....Only 1/4" plate for now, but we'll see what else I can lay a hand on...

...Off topic, but I also have laid hands on a 10' X 20' quick set up canopy like this for shelter to add to the mix for that weekend......
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like we hit the jackpot when you introduced yourself the other day!!!!

Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top