Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2015 9:34:08 AM EDT
I am starting a new job on Monday and need ideas to be able to secure my handgun inside my personal truck (truck is a Super Crew Cab Ford). The employment doesn't allow weapons on premises, so I can't secure it inside.

Does anyone have any valid suggestions on how to secure my Glock 19 in the truck while I'm working (not a too good location of work, but I've been in worse areas)?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You more worried about someone breaking into your truck, or your employer searching it?

I got nothing, but I'm interested in the responses. We have no weapons policy at work, but never heard of anybody's vehicle being searched. One guy got caught with a pistol inside the office, and they gave him a couple days off with pay. Company is HQ'd in Cali.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one similar to this (with combination lock) that I use sometimes.  It comes with a steel cable you can loop around a seat frame.  Not the best/slickest but better than locking it in the console.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00384755S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003841ZBS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=112X00MJTPHTA36ZEH4V
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had success with these in several vehicles.

http://www.consolevault.com/Ford-F150_c_127.html
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You more worried about someone breaking into your truck, or your employer searching it?
View Quote

Someone breaking in. Care less about employer wanting to search it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I got nothing, but I'm interested in the responses. We have no weapons policy at work, but never heard of anybody's vehicle being searched. One guy got caught with a pistol inside the office, and they gave him a couple days off with pay. Company is HQ'd in Cali.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

O.C.G.A 16-11-135 is a strange animal...  Subsection (a) and (b) read:

(a) Except as provided in this Code section, no private or public employer, including the state and its political subdivisions, shall establish, maintain, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of allowing such employer or its agents to search the locked privately owned vehicles of employees or invited guests on the employer's parking lot and access thereto.

(b) Except as provided in this Code section, no private or public employer, including the state and its political subdivisions, shall condition employment upon any agreement by a prospective employee that prohibits an employee from entering the parking lot and access thereto when the employee's privately owned motor vehicle contains a firearm that is locked out of sight within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within such privately owned motor vehicle, provided that any applicable employees possess a Georgia weapons carry license.

Cool.  So they can't prevent you from having a firearm in a locked compartment in a locked vehicle assuming you have a GWCL.  

Then, here are the exceptions:

(c) Subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply:

(1) To searches by certified law enforcement officers pursuant to valid search warrants or valid warrantless searches based upon probable cause under exigent circumstances;

(2) To vehicles owned or leased by an employer;

(3) To any situation in which a reasonable person would believe that accessing a locked vehicle of an employee is necessary to prevent an immediate threat to human health, life, or safety; or

(4) When an employee consents to a search of his or her locked privately owned vehicle by licensed private security officers for loss prevention purposes based on probable cause that the employee unlawfully possesses employer property.

So, they can't prevent you from coming onto the property with a firearm provided it's stored appropriately.  They also can't search your private vehicle... Unless it's a LEO with warrant/probable cause or they think you might shoot somebody.  They obviously think you might shoot somebody since they have a no firearms policy.  So there's that.

And:

(1) To an employer providing applicable employees with a secure parking area which restricts general public access through the use of a gate, security station, security officers, or other similar means which limit public access into the parking area, provided that any employer policy allowing vehicle searches upon entry shall be applicable to all vehicles entering the property and applied on a uniform and frequent basis;

If the parking lot is a secured area (and they do routine searches) then you might get searched.

But wait....

(k) Nothing in this Code section shall restrict the rights of private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, a rental agreement, a contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property. When a private property owner or person in legal control of property through a lease, a rental agreement, a contract, or any other agreement is also an employer, his or her rights as a private property owner or person in legal control of property shall govern.

So, since it's an employer they are considered to have private property owner rights and as such can "ban" firearms from the property.

I don't believe this has been tested in court.

Bottom line:  Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks pretty good, and they make one for my vehicle. Birthday coming up...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Lowtrac,

Thanks for looking that stuff up. I wonder if I signed something when I started with the company that allows them to search my vehicle. I used to be in tight with the head of security, but he's gone now. I always figured that I would just refuse any search order, get in my vehicle and leave. Doubt that would have the same repercussions as them finding something that may or may not be in my vehicle.

You have to work pretty hard to get fired by this outfit.

(4) When an employee consents to a search of his or her locked privately owned vehicle by licensed private security officers for loss prevention purposes based on probable cause that the employee unlawfully possesses employer property.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have one similar to this (with combination lock) that I use sometimes.  It comes with a steel cable you can loop around a seat frame.  Not the best/slickest but better than locking it in the console.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00384755S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003841ZBS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=112X00MJTPHTA36ZEH4V
View Quote

I use something very similar to this when I cannot carry it and need to lock it up in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I like these

Made it fit in my Cherokee

BTW, when I said I made it fit, by that I mean I ended up cutting of the tabs and welding them in a new location. Also added some in the back.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the console vault if your truck is setup that way as you are hiding it in a place that already exists and not adding something that looks out of place if somebody is doing a quick once over. It can only be attacked from the top so as long as your alarm is on, nobody would have time to get it open if they did find it prior to you showing up to see what all the noise is about.

Second would be the cable vault but they can be quickly defeated with bolt cutters and opened later at another location. Some people ask who has bolt cutters in there vehicle, well I do, and I would think bolt cutters are part of a good theft's tool bag. Granted, smash and grab bangers are probably not going to have bolt cutters with them probably because they pawned them already.

Third choose is just plain hiding it out of sight where most people at not going to look using one of those magnets. My friend uses one of those hideaway magnets under his front seat. Since its mounted up under the seat, it does not hang down where it can be seen and if you run your hand and arm under the seat searching the floor you will never touch, see, or feel his Glock. He used two heavy duty Ty-raps to mount the Tac-Mag Gun Magnet high up under the seat. Even going 4 wheel off roading it has never come lose.

Lastly about the comment about being GTG with hiding it in a vehicle if one has a GWL, under the new law I believe it is no longer required as they included ones home, vehicle, and owned business as legal carry WITHOUT a CWL as long as one can legally possess a firearm in Georgia.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I am in a similar situation myself. But, concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, they can be slightly tricky to install, as you assemble them inside the console, but I like mine...  At least in my Expedition, there's enough room to store a handgun on top of the vault with the console closed, if I want to keep one convenient, and then lock it up at my destination.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
My favorite way is a length of chain secured through an existing hole under the seat. Bend the end of the bolt to prevent it being removed.

Drop the mag, clear the chamber and insert chain through,the magwell and out the ejection port. Then put a padlock on the chain. Cheap and effective.

Alternatively,  you can use the trigger guard as well.....don't shoot your dick off though, still gotta make it safe.

Legality notwithstanding, a Kahr pm9 is easy to conceal.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am not a Lawyer, but I can read the statute as well as the firearm friendly websites IE Georgia Weapons Law in plain English.

Concealed under the new law means on your person, at a business you don't own, in a vehicle you don't own, or home/property you don't own according to several GA Firearm Sites. Having a CWL voids all these restrictions with the exception of the specific cases listed in the law such as in a restricted area of a Courthouse.

So if one can legally own a pistol or long gun, it is legal to conceal it in YOUR vehicle, YOUR home, or business you own WITHOUT a CWL as the new law does not consider that concealed. The one very odd thing that still remains is one still can not open carry a pistol in GA without a CWL    As well as one can't open carry a loaded long gun without a CWL from said reading unless I missed something recent.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I work for the largest employer in Chatham County. Apparently there is some federal law that states if you work for a company that has government contracts and is within 1/2 mile of an airport you are prohibited from having firearms on the premises, including parking lots. I know that if you're caught with a firearm in your vehicle you will be terminated immediately. Sucks!
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am not a Lawyer, but I can read the statute as well as the firearm friendly websites IE Georgia Weapons Law in plain English.

Concealed under the new law means on your person, at a business you don't own, in a vehicle you don't own, or home/property you don't own according to several GA Firearm Sites. Having a CWL voids all these restrictions with the exception of the specific cases listed in the law such as in a restricted area of a Courthouse.

So if one can legally own a pistol or long gun, it is legal to conceal it in YOUR vehicle, YOUR home, or business you own WITHOUT a CWL as the new law does not consider that concealed. The one very odd thing that still remains is one still can not open carry a pistol in GA without a CWL    As well as one can't open carry a loaded long gun without a CWL from said reading unless I missed something recent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're exactly right about every bit of that. But interestingly enough also, from my understanding, open carrying itself is not probable cause to request a CWL.

I'm actually carrying on a notarized piece of paper, while I wait for my new GWL to come in. On week 2 now. The new photo IDs are much better quality than the laminated fingerprint I got 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I work for the largest employer in Chatham County. Apparently there is some federal law that states if you work for a company that has government contracts and is within 1/2 mile of an airport you are prohibited from having firearms on the premises, including parking lots. I know that if you're caught with a firearm in your vehicle you will be terminated immediately. Sucks!
View Quote

I've never heard of such a law, but I've heard plenty of businesses claim some non-existent law allows them to do what they want regarding firearms (such as the Hyatt giving Dragon*Con a difficult time about the Armory, which may not be included in the future).

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously?

I know quite a bit of smart rednecks that work at Gulfstream and they go hunting after work.  They'd have guns in their vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Seriously?

I know quite a bit of smart rednecks that work at Gulfstream and they go hunting after work.  They'd have guns in their vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-135

(d) Subsections (a) and (b) of this Code section shall not apply:

(1) To an employer providing applicable employees with a secure parking area which restricts general public access through the use of a gate, security station, security officers, or other similar means which limit public access into the parking area, provided that any employer policy allowing vehicle searches upon entry shall be applicable to all vehicles entering the property and applied on a uniform and frequent basis;

(2) To any penal institution, correctional institution, detention facility, diversion center, jail, or similar place of confinement or confinement alternative;

(3) To facilities associated with electric generation owned or operated by a public utility;

(4) To any United States Department of Defense contractor, if such contractor operates any facility on or contiguous with a United States military base or installation or within one mile of an airport;

(5) To an employee who is restricted from carrying or possessing a firearm on the employer's premises due to a completed or pending disciplinary action;

(6) Where transport of a firearm on the premises of the employer is prohibited by state or federal law or regulation;

(7) To parking lots contiguous to facilities providing natural gas transmission, liquid petroleum transmission, water storage and supply, and law enforcement services determined to be so vital to the State of Georgia, by a written determination of the Georgia Department of Homeland Security, that the incapacity or destruction of such systems and assets would have a debilitating impact on public health or safety; or

(8) To any area used for parking on a temporary basis.

Airport emphasis mine.

if Gulfstream is a DOD contractor they are correct. If Gulfstream is not a DOD Contractor then they are reading the statute wrong.

ETA: This is GA Law. I could not find anything in Federal Laws that say anything close to what was posted above.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Airport emphasis mine.

if Gulfstream is a DOD contractor they are correct. If Gulfstream is not a DOD Contractor then they are reading the statute wrong.

ETA: This is GA Law. I could not find anything in Federal Laws that say anything close to what was posted above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-135

(d) Subsections (a) and (b) of this Code section shall not apply:

(2) To any penal institution, correctional institution, detention facility, diversion center, jail, or similar place of confinement or confinement alternative;

(3) To facilities associated with electric generation owned or operated by a public utility;

(4) To any United States Department of Defense contractor, if such contractor operates any facility on or contiguous with a United States military base or installation or within one mile of an airport;

(5) To an employee who is restricted from carrying or possessing a firearm on the employer's premises due to a completed or pending disciplinary action;

(6) Where transport of a firearm on the premises of the employer is prohibited by state or federal law or regulation;

(7) To parking lots contiguous to facilities providing natural gas transmission, liquid petroleum transmission, water storage and supply, and law enforcement services determined to be so vital to the State of Georgia, by a written determination of the Georgia Department of Homeland Security, that the incapacity or destruction of such systems and assets would have a debilitating impact on public health or safety; or

(8) To any area used for parking on a temporary basis.

Airport emphasis mine.

Thanks, I thought it was federal law but you're right. Yes we are a DOD contractor, I work with Government Programs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh, wow.   I'll give them a heads up about this.  Maybe they know and they don't care.  Not my business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top