Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2015 9:33:19 AM EDT
Just wondering, what's the furthest North they've been spotted/live?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#1]
We had one end up in a farm pond in Douglas county several years back. About 5' if I remember correctly. No one figured out how it got there
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We had one end up in a farm pond in Douglas county several years back. About 5' if I remember correctly. No one figured out how it got there
View Quote

Live examples in modern times have been caught as far north as Ohio. Those were likely released as their range is discontinuous that far north currently. Natural migration/habitat puts them north to Virginia. As it turns out American alligators can survive cold much better than one would think. However, most of the ones found in really dry/elevated areas like cpl0313's above mentioned examples are released from captivity.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
There was one in the 'hooch ITP a  year or so back.  They are in all the ponds on my relative's farm near Augusta.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just wondering, what's the furthest North they've been spotted/live?
View Quote

Do you have missing livestock and can't figure out where they got off to?

Or are you wondering if you should really let your kids swim in that pond when you keep seeing a small wake on the surface but there are not ducks or geese swimming in the pond?  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Normally, spring street in Macon on the ocmulgee river.  Any further than that and someone brought it up
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the DNR puts them at sustainable hunting numbers right around the 'gnat line'.

Alligator zones

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Used to be a wildlife place up near me that had ponds full of them, and they told us(field trip when I was a kid) that they used to live around here but hunting and what not pushed them south and they don't normally stay around here unless brought in.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
There were a couple in the lake at Stone Mountain Park for a few years before they were trapped and removed. Certainly they were released there but they did survive a few winters there. Another is still in residence north of the perimeter in the Chattahoochee River NRA

Chatahoochee River NRA
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen them on the flint river from 128 down, ocmulgee around Eastman. Haven't been north of that very much.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw this gator while fishing near Blanton Creek on the 'Hooch late March this year. Thats about 20 miles or so up river from Columbus. First one I have seen that far north.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
The DNR has a couple in ponds at their hatchery in Floyd county (probably the same place Doc is referring to ).
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
My farm is in a county just north of a dark red one. I have seen no gators on my pond.  And I don't think there's any in there. I also have not seen many ducks. Or geese. But I have seen a big ass snapper and a dead doe in the shallow end.  I can't find any remnants of the deer. That's been 2 years ago.  I haven't checked on reported  gator sightings in Baldwin county.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#13]
There was one in a retention pond behind a truck stop off of I-85 at the Hogansville exit a few years ago. I think it was trapped and relocated.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Saw this gator while fishing near Blanton Creek on the 'Hooch late March this year. Thats about 20 miles or so up river from Columbus. First one I have seen that far north.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/2015-03-31_17_07_23.jpg
View Quote

That's an awesome picture!

I trust that a lot of y'all have gone down to Waycross and toured thru the 'Swomp'?  Lots of gator eyes staring at you.

Those paddocks they got floating out there to camp on look like a hoot.  Of course, I'm sure they outlaw all the stuff I'd want to do while camping on them:

- fire up a propane fryer, then
- git dronk, then
- shoot up some shit and eat, then
- go swimmin nekkid

On second thought, probably ought to do boat racin', rather than nekkid swimmin, considering the situation

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#15]
We've had them show up here in Macon in peoples back yards underneath back porches It was a surprise to say the least and it happened in the hood too
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The DNR has a couple in ponds at their hatchery in Floyd county (probably the same place Doc is referring to ).
View Quote

May very well be, been so long I can remember what was said but not where we went. Haha. I was just happy to be out of the school for a bit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]
had a few here around McDonough
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My farm is in a county just north of a dark red one. I have seen no gators on my pond.  And I don't think there's any in there. I also have not seen many ducks. Or geese. But I have seen a big ass snapper and a dead doe in the shallow end.  I can't find any remnants of the deer. That's been 2 years ago.  I haven't checked on reported  gator sightings in Baldwin county.
View Quote

I used to fish a pond in Calhoun that was just a quarter acre maybe. Was up there with my sister and some friends drinking a few beers and wetting some lines, standing in between some tall grass in a little hole on the bank. My buddy had laughed and made a joke earlier it looked like a gator slide into the water. So I'm standing there working a jitterbug across the water when I look down at my feet and almost stroke out because there is a damn gator creeping up under water like on discovery channel and I knew he was about to grab my damn leg. He was about two feet out and his head about 10" wide, when I jumped he stopped and started to turn around and leave. Then as I'm trying to breath and can't even get a scream out I notice the whole area moving and kinda lean back over to look. Wasn't a gator at all, duh. It was simply a loggerhead turtle with a shell roughly the size of a glass patio table and a head that could have fit mine inside if it.

I thought it was funny I had freaked until my buddy that saw him swimming off said it probably could have taken my foot off pretty easily. Biggest Effin loggerhead I've ever seen and that's including saltwater. I still wonder if he's still in that little pond, I'd bet that shell mounted would draw some attention at get-togethers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I used to fish a pond in Calhoun that was just a quarter acre maybe. Was up there with my sister and some friends drinking a few beers and wetting some lines, standing in between some tall grass in a little hole on the bank. My buddy had laughed and made a joke earlier it looked like a gator slide into the water. So I'm standing there working a jitterbug across the water when I look down at my feet and almost stroke out because there is a damn gator creeping up under water like on discovery channel and I knew he was about to grab my damn leg. He was about two feet out and his head about 10" wide, when I jumped he stopped and started to turn around and leave. Then as I'm trying to breath and can't even get a scream out I notice the whole area moving and kinda lean back over to look. Wasn't a gator at all, duh. It was simply a loggerhead turtle with a shell roughly the size of a glass patio table and a head that could have fit mine inside if it.

I thought it was funny I had freaked until my buddy that saw him swimming off said it probably could have taken my foot off pretty easily. Biggest Effin loggerhead I've ever seen and that's including saltwater. I still wonder if he's still in that little pond, I'd bet that shell mounted would draw some attention at get-togethers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peculiar things happen at farm ponds, that's for sure.

Water Moccasin
Snappin Turtle
World record largemouth bass

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#20]
dbl
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Back in the day before the kayak and zip line in Columbus I seen regularly around those spills ways!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet, you mount that shell at get togethers and you'll draw more than just attention!

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Water Moccasin

Snappin Turtle

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Water Moccasin

Snappin Turtle

World record Largemouth was caught in Montgomery lake a oxbow of the Ocmulgee river in Telfair county.

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/george-perrys-world-record-bass
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

World record Largemouth was caught in Montgomery lake a oxbow of the Ocmulgee river in Telfair county.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Water Moccasin

Snappin Turtle

According to a report I read  in Georgia outdoor news from the 90's there was a new record bass in a large lake in the state. It was shocked up during a fish count. The lake or weight wasn't disclosed. They did say it would be more than a slight increase in the record.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#25]
there's a few as far north as the fayette/spalding/coweta area of the flint river and line creek.

as far as the chattahooche river below west point dam there are some there, and ive heard tell of one or two in west point lake but haven't personally seen them. the dam itself is a pretty big obstacle to them getting there.

haven't heard of any up flat shoals creek but im sure there are a few since it empties into the chattahoochee well below west point.

i know there was a BIG one in the ocmulgee north of juliette in the late 90's, im sure there are more there now.

GR
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

WAIT What WTF uh UH uh GATOR IN FLOYD COUNTY!!!!!

Ok I say we take off and nuke the entire county from orbit its the only way to be sure!!!!!!

Sharks dont scare me. I don't go in the water or live by the ocean. BUT gators up here do.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok I say we take off and nuke the entire county from orbit its the only way to be sure!!!!!!

Sharks dont scare me. I don't go in the water or live by the ocean. BUT gators up here do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better watch those bull sharks then buddy, they've been known to travel quite a distance inland up the river systems. And they're pretty damn nasty little bastards.  Haha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top