Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2015 8:20:47 PM EDT
So I check my bank account and surprise!  I'm way up.  I look at the details and I have a fed (IRS) and state (GA) direct deposit into my account for someone I have never heard of.  

Bank is no help... they say "call the IRS"  (aka... invite the man into your life)

Accountant who did my taxes says.... Oh shit.... that's not supposed to happen... (I think the person is a client there as well).

My taxes were done way early and I got a small state return direct deposited to the same account.  I also used that account to pay my fed tax due.

Anyhow.... What am I supposed to do?  This isn't in any of the FAQ's!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been dealing with the irs since this time last year when someone filed a return with my wife's ss#. They are a minimum 45 minute wait when you call and then little help. I get a letter every 90 days saying they need another 90 days. There is really nothing I can do and it's not enough money to involve a lawyer

Good luck. I'd close the account and set the money aside as they will want it at some point.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Free money!!!!!

Yeah no.... I'd open a new account and withdraw everything EXCEPT the over payment from the IRS. Leave that in the current account because they will come calling for it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like your accountant screwed up.... Can you say free returns for life!

I am sure they well want their money back. Your accountant will probably be calling soon
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Free money!!!!!

Yeah no.... I'd open a new account and withdraw everything EXCEPT the over payment from the IRS. Leave that in the current account because they will come calling for it.
View Quote

Sounds like GREAT advice to me!!!

SOMEONE has your account info, and NOW would be a good time to limit their access to YOUR $$$.

ESPECIALLY if it's the IRS!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

SOMEONE has your account info, and NOW would be a good time to limit their access to YOUR $$$.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Free money!!!!!

'

I hate it when someone else fucks up and I have to use my time to fix it.    And there is no way to get that time back.  

I just may have to do this the next 'free' time I get.  ugh.

I bet that person is pissed off.... "where's my $5k?!"
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
'

I hate it when someone else fucks up and I have to use my time to fix it.    And there is no way to get that time back.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Free money!!!!!

'

Yeah homes, your accountant filed for the both of you but must have used your account # for both by accident.

The accountant should be libel here, you did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Look on the bright side, at least your account wasn't debited $5K.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look on the bright side, at least your account wasn't debited $5K.
View Quote

very true!  I'd be out ammo $ for a whole month!!  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah homes, your accountant filed for the both of you but must have used your account # for both by accident.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Free money!!!!!

'

Supposedly.... this is impossible as the .irs has a system in place that no account can be used twice.  This is to prevent, or limit, fraud.  I see how well this doesn't work!  lol  I think it is the accountants fault.  For me, what is the accountant liable for?  I'm not out anything except some aggravation at this point.  

eta... I think the person may have gotten the account # wrong.  PSA.... don't get your account # wrong!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Happened to me once but they took it back a couple days later. It was weird watching money go in and back out without my permission. I think it was just a regular bank deposit though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Whatever you do, don't take it out or move it around at all. Open up a new account and move everything over that is yours (direct deposit, bills, etc)
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#12]
It was probably mine.  Just write me a check for the overpayment and we'll be square with minimal hassle.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#13]
What is your routing and account number?  I need to tell IRS to send me my money back.  I paid way too much this year!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top