BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2015 6:16:04 PM EDT
In particular Bacon Street.
My brother is buying a home on that street. Any info is appreciated, thanks

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What's he do for a living? I always wonder how people make a living in little towns like that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Target distribution center mechanic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the two big Radical Islam camps in GA are in Jesup. The other is in Commerce.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, that is interesting,bullit
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not a bad little town close to altamaha river and a short drive to the coast to fish. I wouldn't worry about said training camp, I doubt any uprising would last long in that area.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably not. One has to wonder why they'd pick GA for training?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on the wind there's a papermill that smells interesting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's he do for a living? I always wonder how people make a living in little towns like that.
View Quote

I've worked in major cities for 15 years, and have to say that I'm thankful to be in such a little town.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Drove through Jesup just last night.  Not too much different than most south Georgia towns.

Limited restaurants and limited entertainment, but limited traffic and crime too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Jesup is a pretty decent place except for Rayonier's smelly paper plant.  Fishing is really good on the Altamaha and its not far from Savannah for salt water fishing.  Lots of surrounding counties to hunt in as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've worked in major cities for 15 years, and have to say that I'm thankful to be in such a little town.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to live in one too, that's why i was wondering what he and other folks do there to make a living. In my current job (IT), I could probably live just about anywhere there's reliable internet. If I had to change jobs, I'd most likely end up having to live in a metro area.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd like to live in one too, that's why i was wondering what he and other folks do there to make a living. In my current job (IT), I could probably live just about anywhere there's reliable internet. If I had to change jobs, I'd most likely end up having to live in a metro area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My career field offered two choices:  small town and small salary, or bigger town with a bigger salary.

I see people now and wonder how they get by, but their cost of living is much lower.

It can be a tough call for sure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Drove through Jesup just last night.  Not too much different than most south Georgia towns.

Limited restaurants and limited entertainment, but limited traffic and crime too.
View Quote

What is the name of that wing place right on 84 in the middle of town?

"................. famous wings" or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not sure.  I take 341 via the bridge instead of going through town.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depending on the wind there's a papermill that smells interesting.
View Quote

There's two within close distance:  GP Cellulose in Brunswick and Rayonier, and not too far down the road is one of the International Paper/Pulp Mills.  I've done shutdown work at all three.  

My guess about the whole "terrorist training camp" in Jesup is that whatever they would be geared up to do would involve Brunswick because of its status as a major port.

There is one thing no one has mentioned here yet; sand gnats and no-see-ums.  That alone would keep me from living down there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you get a chance, and you like wings, give it a try on one of your trips.

Excellent wings.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Excellent wings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent wings.

Haven't been to Jesup in a while, but I think the good wing place is Damon's. I remember eating at Sybil's and Jones Kitchen which were good as well.

Jesup is similar to most small towns in S Ga with nice affordable housing.

Jesup definitely smells rotten after a good rain.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Excellent wings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent wings.

Will do - thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damon's.

Also, a couple doors down from Damon's is a buffet style country cooking restaurant call Jones Kitchen.  They're really good also and locally owned.  Both restaraunts are on Cherry St.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks again folks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#23]
As others have said, Jesup is about average for small southern towns. They have a Drive In Theater, which is awesome. I go a lot.

MA Customs is good to go for sure, the paper mill stinks and there are plenty of churches.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As others have said, Jesup is about average for small southern towns. They have a Drive In Theater, which is awesome. I go a lot.

MA Customs is good to go for sure, the paper mill stinks and there are plenty of churches.
View Quote

That's pretty much all of georgia I would say. Church, bank, and dollar store on every corner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#25]
What about the demographics? Where would one look for social-economic mix of the area?

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#26]
It's Wikipedia, so take it for what it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesup,_Georgia#Demographics
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top