Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2015 10:17:49 PM EDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhJKyK6VqDI

I was kind of surprised he didn't shoot the guy after watching the video, and know the guy had already murdered his girlfriend
I was not surprised that he ended up on his ass while running backwards
I was a little surprised the guy backed off when the cop went down

The cop is getting a lot of praise in public. I'm guessing that he is getting heat in private with how he handled things.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#1]
He was caught in a no-win situation.  No matter which way he went in that shoot/no shoot moment, half of all those who viewed it were going to take issue with his decision.

Welcome to police work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#2]
officer used discretion, suspect was recovered, officer went home safely.

the sad thing is that this is a story.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Based off watching the video myself, I suspect the reason the assailant backed off once the officer fell down was the two other officers arriving behind the fallen.  Had they not shown for a couple more minutes could have gotten ugly.... I'm glad nobody was hurt, especially the officer, that was extreme restraint.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Timing definitely worked in his favor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The guy only ran at him and was saying "shoot me". This was a guy who wanted to die. The officer saw that the man never made that one move to threaten his life, even though you think running at him was cause enough, it wasn't. There is a use of force continuum, and I'm guessing the officer didn't have a taser. This is a good officer. Of course the people who are judging this officer for not shooting probably aren't trained in being a cop. Good job officer. Its nice seeing someone do the right thing on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The guy only ran at him and was saying "shoot me". This was a guy who wanted to die. The officer saw that the man never made that one move to threaten his life, even though you think running at him was cause enough, it wasn't. There is a use of force continuum, and I'm guessing the officer didn't have a taser. This is a good officer. Of course the people who are judging this officer for not shooting probably aren't trained in being a cop. Good job officer. Its nice seeing someone do the right thing on the internet.
View Quote

I think that you are right on with this assessment. I kept thinking that a taser would have been ideal here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
What if the taser doesn't work and the guy with the gun changes his mind?  Wouldn't the officer's hands be occupied with the taser to react in a different way? What if he missed with the taser and the dude gets pissed and decides to shoot/shoot at the officer? Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He was caught in a no-win situation.  No matter which way he went in that shoot/no shoot moment, half of all those who viewed it were going to take issue with his decision.

Welcome to police work.
View Quote

This is the winner. If I were his Sgt., we would have a heart to heart where I would explain the whole dead cop and dead cops' gun killing others story.

That said, I was not there, I am not his Sgt. and therefore am glad it worked out - this time.

I ignored the accusation he is a murderer who deserved to be shot 87 times....if the accusation is true.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is the winner. If I were his Sgt., we would have a heart to heart where I would explain the whole dead cop and dead cops' gun killing others story.

That said, I was not there, I am not his Sgt. and therefore am glad it worked out - this time.

I ignored the accusation he is a murderer who deserved to be shot 87 times....if the accusation is true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to police work.

These are what I was looking for when I made the original post.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]

The officer placed his personal safety and those officers responding, to a person who just murdered his girlfriend and was holding a firearm at his side and relinquished control of the outcome when he told him he wasn't going to shoot him.  

He should be made to attend the funeral of the next officer that attempts to copy his actions.  

The media attention is not his fault.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top