Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2015 10:07:22 AM EDT
I have an older (1995) CR125 project that i am needing to finish up. It needs a new cylinder so i am toying with a 144cc kit form Eric Gorr. Since i am only about 130lb it should be a fun ride. I am also considering adding a headlight/lighitng coil and flywheel weights for woods and trail riding. What i really want is something small and light to explore trails and dirt roads. I think it will be just about impossible to get a tag on the CR even with the head light (unless i just hang my RZ350 tag on the CR). So i am not even sure i can ride the CR where i want. So my real question is can "off highway" vehicles like my CR125 be ridden on forestry roads in North GA? If i can take it up north and spend the day exploring forestry roads up there that might work. If i need to be street legal then i probably need to look for a duel sport.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Below is a list of parks and OHV trails for you to use as reference.

The amount of areas accessible is shrinking rapidly, so do what you can to align yourself with a reputable group and fight to keep our roads open.

I off road in a Jeep and have done so responsibly for decades and it ticks me off to no end, driving past dozens of forest service roads, gated and locked shut. Merely because they don't want us there and because the environmentalists have a hold on the powers that be.

Its our land and our money that supports it in the first place.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/georgia_list.htm

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The amount of areas accessible is shrinking rapidly, so do what you can to align yourself with a reputable group and fight to keep our roads open.

I off road in a Jeep and have done so responsibly for decades and it ticks me off to no end, driving past dozens of forest service roads, gated and locked shut. Merely because they don't want us there and because the environmentalists have a hold on the powers that be.

View Quote

What are the stated reasons for closing FS roads?

My only experience with FS roads is crossing them while backpacking, or maybe using one to get to a trailhead.  I do know, even from my limited exposure, that some of the people in the 4-wheeling community have done responsible users like you a serious disservice with their abuse of the areas around FS roads.  Think that has something to do with the closures?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My only experience with FS roads is crossing them while backpacking, or maybe using one to get to a trailhead.  I do know, even from my limited exposure, that some of the people in the 4-wheeling community have done responsible users like you a serious disservice with their abuse of the areas around FS roads. Think that has something to do with the closures?
View Quote

That's what people are saying on the dual sport forums like ADVrider.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a neat project!  Got a link to any pics or other info on it?  I've got a '93 CR 125 that's been sitting for 8 yrs or so.  Planning to start working on it next year some time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like a neat project!  Got a link to any pics or other info on it?  I've got a '93 CR 125 that's been sitting for 8 yrs or so.  Planning to start working on it next year some time.
View Quote

I am heading back out to Wyoming for work. I wont be back until October so the project will mostly just be planning for the next few months.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My only experience with FS roads is crossing them while backpacking, or maybe using one to get to a trailhead.  I do know, even from my limited exposure, that some of the people in the 4-wheeling community have done responsible users like you a serious disservice with their abuse of the areas around FS roads.  Think that has something to do with the closures?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The off road community MX, ATV and 4wd vehicles have shat on themselves for years and years, by tolerating irresponsible use and not self policing themselves.

The environmental groups and the enviro enablers at the state and federal level, have joined to shut down many roads that have for decades, been accessible by vehicle for recreation and travel from secondary roadways to points of interest.

This is not new to Georgia and not new to the rest of the country, Tellico was closed several years back and there was substantial evidence of a cooked up study by a well known conservation group and the park service. Their method is to get a study, rush the response period, close to evaluate and before you know it, the area is deemed closed for any motorized vehicle access.

They are doing the same to scenic areas in other states as well as remote off road routes that have been traveled by vehicle for the last 100 years.

Many of these areas are actually well taken care of by reputable off road clubs, stewards for the trails, that have been in good standing with park service and local businesses for many decades. they provide free trail maintenance and an advocacy group for the trails well being. All to ensure minimized impact by vehicles for the enjoyment by future generations.

Famed and legendary trails such as The Rubicon, Moab Utah area trails and similar, are constantly being threatened by these environmental groups.

The fight to keep these areas open is very similar to the fight against 2nd amendment opponents and the anti gun establishment. they use the same dirty tactics in spinning their web of deceit.

Another fine example of the tail wagging the dog.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top