Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2015 6:50:41 PM EDT
2nd Annual HTF Skills and Gear Shakedown Campout. Sipsey Wilderness, AL. April 10-12, 2015

Building on the success of last years HTF Campout it's time for round two! Here's your chance to get out and test yourself and your setup in the wild. See what works, or not, for your current skill level and load out. If you plan to attend and have special training or skills you would like to share, or have included in the event, by all means let us know! We want everyone to be safe, have fun, and enjoy themselves.

The event will be limited to 15 attendees. Priority will be given to last years participants.

Location/Details:
Sipsey Wilderness area, AL. April 10-12, 2015. We will be hiking in Friday and leaving on Sunday. If you cant make it Friday, you are welcome to come join us Saturday. We have a meet-up location to safely park our vehicles and carpool to the trailhead if interested. Parking is available at the Campout's trail entrance also.

A short hike is required to make it to the camp area. There will be fresh water on site, but will need to be treated to be potable. Small fires are good to go. Firearms are allowed in the Sipsey, however, this WILL NOT be a firearms or tactics type event. Use good judgement, be safe, and obey all State and Federal laws regarding firearms in the Sipsey.
Exact location and (free) permit info will be emailed to you upon your reply that you are 100% IN to attend. If you reserve a spot but can't make it, let us know ASAP so others that do want to attend get the opportunity!

Agenda:
We plan on having a loosely organized event that will be a chance for all attendees to share and put their skills and gear to use in a friendly atmosphere. We also plan to hold a couple of contests with small prizes for the winners. Our goal is for everyone to have fun and learn as much as possible about themselves, others, and their gear in action.
Unsafe Tom Foolery will not be tolerated! Regular ol' Tom Foolery is good to go A good attitude will be key to everyone getting the most from the event.

Gear Requirements:
None! Bring what you think you will need to the event. Please keep in mind that if you plan on participating in the Nav course and other skills practice you will need to come equipped accordingly. Some event materials may, or may not, be provided.

Skills:
We plan to practice and execute some basic outdoor survival skills on this outing such as;

Navigation with map and compass. Great link for Nav study:  Nav Study Guide
Water procurement and treatment
Shelter Building and Perimeter Security
Fire Making, cooking over fire
Wild Edibles
Snares and Fishing Techniques
Knots
Your Ideas Here!

We hope you can make it out and enjoy the great outdoors with us!

PLEASE REPLY THAT YOU ARE 100% IN IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND.

Attendees Thus Far: Updated 4/3

BearJace  (willing to carpool from Atlanta GA area, IM for details)
bcauz3y +1
Saxplayer
bamaflinger +1 (late arrival)
redneckarmy34 +1
axl
Alex the neighbor

Some pictures from last years Campout

Nav practice before running the course

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
sorry, you lost me at the no tomfoolery thing
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#2]
That waterfall is incredible.

Tomfoolery synonyms...... silliness, fooling around, clowning, shenanigans, capers, antics, pranks, tricks, buffoonery, skylarking, nonsense, horseplay, monkey business, mischief, foolishness, foolery, fandango. I'm not welcome.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tomfoolery synonyms...... silliness, fooling around, clowning, shenanigans, capers, antics, pranks, tricks, buffoonery, skylarking, nonsense, horseplay, monkey business, mischief, foolishness, foolery, fandango.
View Quote

Hmm, when you put it that way..... I think I overreached on that statement bigtime haha.

From this point forward let it be known that Tom Foolery in fact WILL be tolerated! So far as it is SAFE
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#4]
NOT, I REPEAT NOT going camping with a guy who's avatar is from Deliverance. Thats a great big bucket of NOPE right there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
NOT, I REPEAT NOT going camping with a guy who's avatar is from Deliverance. Thats a great big bucket of NOPE right there.
View Quote

Hahaha, that's hilarious! That actually never even crossed my mind, well played

Thanks for the new sig line
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even if he has purty mouth?

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You're welcome on the sig line!

Mark my words, somebody's gonna wind up squeelin like a pig in those woods!
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Alabama woods with a guy who likes Deliverance , what could possibly go wrong
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Just under 2 weeks until the Campout. We have some cool giveaways and prizes lined up for the events that are planned. Hope to see some of the Georgia HTF peeps make it out there with us and test your skills!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to try and make one of these eventually.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, we could always set one up at a location here in GA.... just sayin.

I'd gladly help set it all up

If anyone is interested, or has a good idea for a location feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be interested in one in GA in the fall when it cools off a bit.

We tent camp using the roof top tent currently, but are working up to hike in / camp / hike out camping.  Right now, we're just wanting to get started with hiking.  Baby steps.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

We tent camp using the roof top tent currently, but are working up to hike in / camp / hike out camping.  Right now, we're just wanting to get started with hiking.  Baby steps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would also, I would have been down for this one but the wife has a list for me a mile long that will take me into summer.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Now that tomfoolery is allowed I might be in on the next one as well. This one lands on the NRA weekend I think. Would consider bringing my cub scout.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]

5 slots left

I lost my +1 for the trip so if anyone is interested in attenting you can roll out with me no prob. I have a safe place for you to park your vehicle if we deceide to take my jeep. I'll cover the trip cost regardless who drives, no worries

Should be a fun event. We have two Nav course runs planned, one during the day, one at night on Saturday. Some decent giveaways and prizes too. We hope to see you there!LMK if you have any questions.

I will start a GA based HTF Campout thread for this fall after this event is completed.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

5 slots left

I lost my +1 for the trip so if anyone is interested in attenting you can roll out with me no prob. I have a safe place for you to park your vehicle if we deceide to take my jeep. I'll cover the trip cost regardless who drives, no worries

Should be a fun event. We have two Nav course runs planned, one during the day, one at night on Saturday. Some decent giveaways and prizes too. We hope to see you there!LMK if you have any questions.

I will start a GA based HTF Campout thread for this fall after this event is completed.

View Quote

Sounds good.  Since we've turned the GAHTF shoots into weekend long excuses to camp, I'd say you'll have some good numbers attend.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#17]
agreed
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

5 slots left

View Quote

It'll be awesome to get a Georgia one together. I was really looking forward to making it last week but instead I had to do field work and look at rocks. How was the trip?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't worry, I haven't forgot about the GA edition of the HTF Skills Campout. I'm starting to research out a good location. I will start a new thread soon with the goal of a campout this fall. I've only lived in Ga for almost 2 years so I'm still not as familiar with it as I could be. The places I've hiked thus far would not lend themselves to a venue for us.

If anyone has a location they think may be a good fit, IM me. All we need is a spot with a hike in that has enough room for everyone to camp, fires allowed, and enough space to setup a good Nav course that can cover an area of a couple miles. A water source such as a creek or river would be a huge plus!

Regarding last weeks trip, it was good. We had quite a few participants cancel the week/days before and I was a bit disappointed about that. Everyone that attended was from last years campout with the exception of one person and he learned a lot. With that being said, the group of us that did make it did a lot of skill practice, had a good time, and ate like kings. Each of us got a lot of cool swag giveaways from TS Arms too.

Skills we covered were:

Fire starting
Field dressing small game
Cooking over fire
Water purification methods and techniques
Knots
Navigation with map and compass
Snake identification
Snares (simple)
Gear selection/choices and layout (lighten your load!)

A couple pics, should've taken more but got sidetracked. There are a few more in the Alabama HTF thread.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Wow, bring your own copperhead...serious business!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#21]
This looks like it was fun!  I wonder if Jack's River Falls/the Cohutta Wilderness would be a good location for a GA one.  It's pretty far north, so it might not be the best for everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top