Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2015 2:07:21 PM EDT
Got a notice in the mail that I'm summoned to appear as a Grand Juror. Boy, I feel speshul.

Anything I need to know about it? Never been called before in my life.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Bring a good book.  You'll be sitting a while with nothing to do.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny, I recently got summoned for jury duty as well.  I actually moved to a different county when I received it.  I wonder if I need to let them know?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking to get dismissed, wear your best redneck outfit with a necktie made out of rope with the tie knot a 13 turn hangman's knot!

If you are looking to serve, bring something with you that makes the time fly by for you because if you were never in The Corps, after Grand Jury Duty you will have experienced the Marine Corps unofficial motto for sure, "Hurry up and wait!"

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Funny, I recently got summoned for jury duty as well.  I actually moved to a different county when I received it.  I wonder if I need to let them know?
View Quote
Yes you do. The judge doesn't know you moved and will issue a bench warrant for your arrest.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
It's real laid back.  You will for the most part be hearing evidence presented by the DA's office so you can vote on criminal indictments.  You don't vote on guilt or lack thereof.  You just vote on whether there is sufficient evidence for the case to go to trial - which will be most if not all of the indictments.

Sometimes, you review a community issue and give non-binding recommendations.

But at least you won't sit around as much as a trial jury.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bring a good book.  You'll be sitting a while with nothing to do.
View Quote

Not on the grand jury.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes you do. The judge doesn't know you moved and will issue a bench warrant for your arrest.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't plan on skipping it, but I did want to see if there was an eligibility issue with me now being in another county.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Why try to get out of Jury Duty? If you had to face a jury one day would you want it to be full of people who were too dumb to wiggle their way out, or full of smart, hard working, personal responsibility guys? Know your rights as a juror, exercise them.

Jurors' Handbook

If you are called for Jury Duty.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't plan on skipping it, but I did want to see if there was an eligibility issue with me now being in another county.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ask don't tell.

BUT

if you bring them proof of having moved you will be dismissed as you are no longer eligible to serve in that county.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The grand jury does all sorts of things.  One of them is to decide on whether or not criminal cases move forward to trial.

The grand jury also gets to inspect all operations of the county government including the constitutional officers, the district attorney, etc.  

The system needs involvement from people who understand what America is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I got picked for the same, Gwinnett?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I could get picked more . I have been picked once ever ,.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Three time up and three times down. They don't want Engineers/IT.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Called once and got selected.
Aggravated assault. Guy seemed guilty as hell but no evidence was ever shown. Found Not guilty on that but guilty on the lesser charges. Stayed around for sentencing and found out guy was actually in jail because while out on parole for other charges he did the same thing to anther person.  

Very educational week taken out of my life. I wish I would be called more.

BTW: IT here
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Aggravated assault. Guy seemed guilty as hell but no evidence was ever shown. Found Not guilty on that but guilty on the lesser charges. Stayed around for sentencing and found out guy was actually in jail because while out on parole for other charges he did the same thing to anther person.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny things happen at trials sometimes.  I saw a guy get acquitted of burglary but convicted of having tools for the commission of a crime. Yup, the tools he used to commit the burglary for which he was acquitted.  The same jury also acquitted him of stalking.

He represented himself at his second trial at which he was convicted of aggravated stalking.  The basis for the aggravating stalking charge is that while out on bond for the previous offense, the one for which he was acquitted, he did it again to the same victim.  He is still in prison for that one.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I would make a poor juror....

Few things can be proven "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt" at least to my satisfaction.

I would rather be responsible for freeing a 100 guilty rather men than imprisoning a single innocent man.

td
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Funny things happen at trials sometimes.  I saw a guy get acquitted of burglary but convicted of having tools for the commission of a crime. Yup, the tools he used to commit the burglary for which he was acquitted.  The same jury also acquitted him of stalking.

He represented himself at his second trial at which he was convicted of aggravated stalking.  The basis for the aggravating stalking charge is that while out on bond for the previous offense, the one for which he was acquitted, he did it again to the same victim.  He is still in prison for that one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't shocked to hear his mile long rap sheet at sentencing, I was shocked that none of it was brought up while he was in court. The prosecutor explained why she wasn't allowed to bring any of it up. Seemed like would have been a slam dunk, but she wasn't allowed because he didn't take the stand.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.

I got called for jury duty for US District Court a couple years ago, and was really surprised that I made it thru the selection process. White, blue collar, openly right of center, and possessing a degree in Criminal Justice. Dude was suing a large corporation for an injury he sustained by being somewhere he shouldn't have been.

I'd love to do it again. I found the whole process fascinating.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wasn't shocked to hear his mile long rap sheet at sentencing, I was shocked that none of it was brought up while he was in court. The prosecutor explained why she wasn't allowed to bring any of it up. Seemed like would have been a slam dunk, but she wasn't allowed because he didn't take the stand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can't bring up stuff like that because it "prejudices" the jury in that they might vote to convict based on the defendant's criminal history rather than the facts of the specific case at trial.  The exception is if the defense does something that would allow their past to be brought in to challenge credibility.  There is also a thing called "similar transactions" that will allow some of it to be raised.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Grand jury is different. You will serve a term of 3 or 4 months. You report once a week and hear 10 to 20 cases a day and decid to indict or not indict (true bill or no bill). It is easy and I found it enjoyable it payed 35 a week in my county.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I was shocked to learn what goes on that you seldom hear about in your county. My take was the police need more and better of everything they've got.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I get selected often for some reason. Got dismissed last time for Superior Court in my county since I had just served on a federal case a few weeks prior. Called up every year for 4 years in a row locally. I don't mind doing my civic duty but would gladly let someone else fill in for me occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gwinnett told me that I would need to send them a copy of my DL to be excused. I told the nice lady that if the judge felt the need to arrest me, I would be in Walton County where I live, vote, and work.

Never heard anything again.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd call the number on your card. Chances are you will be ineligible to server if you have moved.

I got called one time when I was deployed. I got my Mom's jury summons a couple months after she passed.
They won't know unless you tell them.

I've been called several times, only made the 1st cut one time, but got nixed during the questioning.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why try to get out of Jury Duty? If you had to face a jury one day would you want it to be full of people who were too dumb to wiggle their way out, or full of smart, hard working, personal responsibility guys? Know your rights as a juror, exercise them.

http://fija.org/wp-content/uploads/primaryfunction-rev4.jpg

Jurors' Handbook

View Quote

Where'd I say I was gonna try to get out of it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got picked for the same, Gwinnett?
View Quote

Negative. Forsyth.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Odds of anyone here (in the GAHTF) being selected to serve on a jury is almost nil. They seem to prefer clueless, and dumb as a box of rocks types of folks, for their jurors. I would guess that, in general, the prosecuting and defense attorneys prefer jurors who can be manipulated into believing the BS that these folks tend to spout in court.

I was a juror on a first degree murder trial in Fulton Co., the very first time I was ever called for jury duty. They (the prosecution and defense) were both running out of refusals, and, since I was a 22 year old "kid" at that time, I reckon each figured I'd be gullible enough to "trust" on "their" jury. As it turned out, no one else on that jury wanted it, so I volunteered, and was elected by my fellow "peers" to the  to be the foreman of this jury. After all the evidence had been presented, and we jurors were closeted, the first show of hands as to the guilt of the "murderer" was 11-1 for a guilty verdict. I was the single not guilty vote. The other jurors had decided that, "since the guy had a gun, he was out lookin' to murder someone!"  I explained to them that I had to check my weapon before entering the courthouse, showed them my permit, told them  that I had no desire to murder anyone, and that I carried it solely for self defense purposes. Then I pointed out that the testimony showed that the "dead guy" had attacked the "murderer" in the bar, had then been thrown out, then waited nearly 2 hours for the "murderer" and his girlfriend to leave the building, before accosting them on the sidewalk, less than 50 yards away from the front door of the bar. AND, that testimony clearly showed that the "dead guy", while unarmed, had ignored a warning shot by the "murderer." The "dead guy" had continued to advance another 15+ feet toward the couple, in a threatening manner, after that warning shot had been fired into the ground, before being shot dead by said "murderer" at "point blank" range. It took me nearly two days to convince ALL of the other 11 jurors that if someone violent, even if unarmed, continues to advance in a threatening manner, especially after a warning shot is fired, that an individual has the right to use deadly force, if they are in fear for their life. It was the warning shot that made all the difference to me. If I were to fire a warning shot, and someone continued to advance, I'm certainly going to figure they are intent upon killing, or maiming me. AND, in addition, as far as I'm concerned, folks intent on "murder" don't fire warning shots!!! After much wrangling, I was able to return a not guilty verdict in the end.

Now for the rest of the story: The prosecuting weasel had a major verbal outburst in court when I announced the not guilty verdict. In his disbelieving, astonished, shouting, at me, and the bench, he revealed that the "murderer" was a convicted felon in possession of a handgun, and was also, obviously, in violation of the law of posessing a firearm in a bar (which I was aware of, but assumed that he, like me, would prefered to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6). As it turned out, the defense lawyer had made the excellent decision to have those other charges tried seperately, and as such, they were inadmissable in this trial. The fact that he was a felon was also inadmissible, as it might "taint" the verdict, which it definately would have in my case!!! It took me many months to shake the feeling that I had done a real disservice to the community by NOT putting a convicted felon, back behind bars....

I have long since realized, that based on the testimony that was presented at the trial, we had made the right decision. He may have been a felon, but that still didn't change the fact that he had the right to protect himself, and his girlfriend, from an obviously violent individual, who had chosen to ignore a warning shot.

That was the first, and only time, I have been chosen to serve on a jury, in the 8 times I have been called to duty, in over 30 years. I always serve willingly, because I truly believe that that "murderer" would have been wrongly convicted, and possibly even put to death, if there had not been just one person there who had not stood up for him. If I'm ever in that position, I'd sure hope one of ya'll would be on my jury!!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Odds of anyone here (in the GAHTF) being selected to serve on a jury is almost nil. They seem to prefer clueless, and dumb as a box of rocks types of folks, for their jurors. I would guess that, in general, the prosecuting and defense attorneys prefer jurors who can be manipulated into believing the BS that these folks tend to spout in court.

I was a juror on a first degree murder trial in Fulton Co., the very first time I was ever called for jury duty. They (the prosecution and defense) were both running out of refusals, and, since I was a 22 year old "kid" at that time, I reckon each figured I'd be gullible enough to "trust" on "their" jury. As it turned out, no one else on that jury wanted it, so I volunteered, and was elected by my fellow "peers" to the  to be the foreman of this jury. After all the evidence had been presented, and we jurors were closeted, the first show of hands as to the guilt of the "murderer" was 11-1 for a guilty verdict. I was the single not guilty vote. The other jurors had decided that, "since the guy had a gun, he was out lookin' to murder someone!"  I explained to them that I had to check my weapon before entering the courthouse, showed them my permit, told them  that I had no desire to murder anyone, and that I carried it solely for self defense purposes. Then I pointed out that the testimony showed that the "dead guy" had attacked the "murderer" in the bar, had then been thrown out, then waited nearly 2 hours for the "murderer" and his girlfriend to leave the building, before accosting them on the sidewalk, less than 50 yards away from the front door of the bar. AND, that testimony clearly showed that the "dead guy", while unarmed, had ignored a warning shot by the "murderer." The "dead guy" had continued to advance another 15+ feet toward the couple, in a threatening manner, after that warning shot had been fired into the ground, before being shot dead by said "murderer" at "point blank" range. It took me nearly two days to convince ALL of the other 11 jurors that if someone violent, even if unarmed, continues to advance in a threatening manner, especially after a warning shot is fired, that an individual has the right to use deadly force, if they are in fear for their life. It was the warning shot that made all the difference to me. If I were to fire a warning shot, and someone continued to advance, I'm certainly going to figure they are intent upon killing, or maiming me. AND, in addition, as far as I'm concerned, folks intent on "murder" don't fire warning shots!!! After much wrangling, I was able to return a not guilty verdict in the end.

Now for the rest of the story: The prosecuting weasel had a major verbal outburst in court when I announced the not guilty verdict. In his disbelieving, astonished, shouting, at me, and the bench, he revealed that the "murderer" was a convicted felon in possession of a handgun, and was also, obviously, in violation of the law of posessing a firearm in a bar (which I was aware of, but assumed that he, like me, would prefered to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6). As it turned out, the defense lawyer had made the excellent decision to have those other charges tried seperately, and as such, they were inadmissable in this trial. The fact that he was a felon was also inadmissible, as it might "taint" the verdict, which it definately would have in my case!!! It took me many months to shake the feeling that I had done a real disservice to the community by NOT putting a convicted felon, back behind bars....

I have long since realized, that based on the testimony that was presented at the trial, we had made the right decision. He may have been a felon, but that still didn't change the fact that he had the right to protect himself, and his girlfriend, from an obviously violent individual, who had chosen to ignore a warning shot.

That was the first, and only time, I have been chosen to serve on a jury, in the 8 times I have been called to duty, in over 30 years. I always serve willingly, because I truly believe that that "murderer" would have been wrongly convicted, and possibly even put to death, if there had not been just one person there who had not stood up for him. If I'm ever in that position, I'd sure hope one of ya'll would be on my jury!!!!
View Quote

I owe you a beer if I ever meet you ftf.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Emu,

You couldn't have been on the jury of a first degree murder case as Georgia does not have first degree murder and never has going all the way back to 1833.  Georgia has murder, voluntary manslaughter, and involuntary manslaughter.

In the 2014 legislative session, the General Assembly did create  a charge of second degree murder under the murder statute, but that offense specifically relates to a death being as the result of cruelty to children, but there still is no first degree murder.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#30]
One other thing, as of 2014 thrown in for no particular reason at all:

§ 16-11-138.  Defense of self or others as absolute defense

Defense of self or others, as contemplated by and provided for under Article 2 of Chapter 3 of Title 16, shall be an absolute defense to any violation under this part.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I would guess that, in general, the prosecuting and defense attorneys prefer jurors who can be manipulated into believing the BS that these folks tend to spout in court.

View Quote

Well yeah, that's the point.  Either manipulated into seeing or predisposed to see things in the most favorable way for their respective theory of the case.

I disagree with your assertion that either side wants stupid or clueless people on the jury.

Each case has what I consider a "model juror" for the specific facts and circumstances of that case.  

When picking a jury, one wants as many of, or as close to, the model juror as possible.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#32]
If serving on a Grand Jury,you don't want to hear  " The next case is,uh,I'm sorry,Mr. Dryvalleyboy,we need you to step out for this one".
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Gwinnett told me that I would need to send them a copy of my DL to be excused. I told the nice lady that if the judge felt the need to arrest me, I would be in Walton County where I live, vote, and work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got it dismissed today.  I spoke to a lady and she just told me to fax her the official address change from the post office.  It was a painless process.  The lady I spoke to was helpful and found out through casual conversation that we shared the exact same birthdate.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Emu,

You couldn't have been on the jury of a first degree murder case as Georgia does not have first degree murder and never has going all the way back to 1833.  Georgia has murder, voluntary manslaughter, and involuntary manslaughter.

In the 2014 legislative session, the General Assembly did create  a charge of second degree murder under the murder statute, but that offense specifically relates to a death being as the result of cruelty to children, but there still is no first degree murder.
View Quote

Thank you for correcting me. In light of your extensive knowledge of Georgia's judicial system, it obviously must have simply been a murder charge. The weasel in the snappy little bow ties that was prosecuting the case went to GREAT pains to express to the jury that if the shooter had premeditated, for as little as one second, by having had the thought go thru his brain, "I want to kill this guy," then that would constitute murder, for which we jurors must return a guilty verdict.

I most humbly apologize, Mr. JLW, for misremembering the exact charge from an episode that took place in my life over 30 years ago. Not being a LEO puts me at a distinct disadvantage, as I don't live, breathe, and die, law enforcement/judicial issues. I shall henceforth refrain from referring to the murder charge as "first degree," and shall simply use the term murder, so as not to misinform anyone else in the future. Again, I offer my most sincere apologies to you, and to anyone else who found my faulty memory objectionable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I think I sense some sarcasm...
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well yeah, that's the point.  Either manipulated into seeing or predisposed to see things in the most favorable way for their respective theory of the case.

I disagree with your assertion that either side wants stupid or clueless people on the jury.

Each case has what I consider a "model juror" for the specific facts and circumstances of that case.  

When picking a jury, one wants as many of, or as close to, the model juror as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would guess that, in general, the prosecuting and defense attorneys prefer jurors who can be manipulated into believing the BS that these folks tend to spout in court.

About 8 years ago I was questioned as one of a pool of potential jurors to be chosen from, for a case involving an accidental discharge of a Bryco pistol. I felt that my knowledge and experience would have made me an ideal candidate for that particular jury. However, any individual who had any experience with firearms was immediately excused. When they found out that I held an FFL, they couldn't shut me up, or get rid of me fast enough. Every juror chosen for that case had ZERO firearms experience.

If I truly wanted to arrive at the truth of the matter involving an accidental discharge of a cheap junk handgun, the absolute last group of individuals I would want deciding the matter would be a group of little old ladies with a few hippies sprinkled in for good measure.

Each one was specifically chosen for their ignorance, NOT their knowledge!!! I lost a lot of respect for our judicial system that day. It was at that point that I realized our judicial system is more about high drama, play-acting, and gamesmanship, than it is about arriving at the truth of an event.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I lost a lot of respect for our judicial system that day. It was at that point that I realized our judicial system is more about high drama, play-acting, and gamesmanship, than it is about arriving at the truth of an event.
View Quote

IMO, it's always been that way and it will always be like that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't feel bad, I am 0 for 14.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yikes
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been called for petit (trial) jury twice.  

First was > 30 years ago.  I was a law student working in the DA's office.  I was excused for the term.

Second time was about 15 years ago when there was a group of SC teens passing through and decided to kill a very nice couple and take their truck to CO.  After an in-depth individual Voir Dire, I was excused from that trial.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Jurors' Handbook

View Quote

I was on a State court jury a couple years ago for a drug trafficking case.

the judge told the jury that our role was to decide whether the defendant had violated the law, and that his role as judge was to judge the law.

It was a three day trail, and the fellow jurors were relatively competent. One guy tried to drag it out, but was out-argued into giving in based on the evidence. I was hoping to get on the case of the girl blowing up toilets, since it was right around that time, but no dice.

Basics of the case was an illegal (the fact of which we couldn't consider) was involved in the sale of a bunch of meth to a undercover officer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

the judge told the jury that our role was to decide whether the defendant had violated the law, and that his role as judge was to judge the law.

It was a three day trail, and the fellow jurors were relatively competent. One guy tried to drag it out, but was out-argued into giving in based on the evidence. I was hoping to get on the case of the girl blowing up toilets, since it was right around that time, but no dice.

Basics of the case was an illegal (the fact of which we couldn't consider) was involved in the sale of a bunch of meth to a undercover officer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jurors' Handbook

This is incorrect.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Well ended up not making it as I figured.  Case was related to the NFA.  Man charged with "illegal" possession of a FA AK.

I wish I could have made that one, never would have voted guilty on an unconstitutional law.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well ended up not making it as I figured.  Case was related to the NFA.  Man charged with "illegal" possession of a FA AK.
I wish I could have made that one, never would have voted guilty on an unconstitutional law.
View Quote

Was the first question, "do you know what NFA is? "
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct answer..." hurr durr national freedom act? "
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jurors' Handbook

This is incorrect.

That's why I made the post. I knew it wasn't factual, but couldn't find my JPFO booklet on jurors rights, and didn't want to make any mistakes in presenting the facts to the fellow jurors.

One guy asked the judge if he could be excused as it was his week for visitation with his son. The judge said he'd try but couldn't make any promises. One of the questions to the jury pool was along the lines of " do you feel that you could not make a fair and impartial judgment against a known illegal alien" . The guy with the kid said he couldn't be impartial. The judge asked why and he said because the guy ain't supposed to be here anyway. The judge excused him- with a smirk. Everyone knew what just happened.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting BUT there is no First Degree murder in georgia .....

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Day late and a dollar short, already been pointed out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PREVIOUS POSTINGS IN THIS THREAD:

Quoted:
Emu,

You couldn't have been on the jury of a first degree murder case as Georgia does not have first degree murder and never has going all the way back to 1833. Georgia has murder, voluntary manslaughter, and involuntary manslaughter.

In the 2014 legislative session, the General Assembly did create a charge of second degree murder under the murder statute, but that offense specifically relates to a death being as the result of cruelty to children, but there still is no first degree murder.

Quoted:

Thank you for correcting me. In light of your extensive knowledge of Georgia's judicial system, it obviously must have simply been a murder charge. The weasel in the snappy little bow ties that was prosecuting the case went to GREAT pains to express to the jury that if the shooter had premeditated, for as little as one second, by having had the thought go thru his brain, "I want to kill this guy," then that would constitute murder, for which we jurors must return a guilty verdict.

I most humbly apologize, Mr. JLW, for misremembering the exact charge from an episode that took place in my life over 30 years ago. Not being a LEO puts me at a distinct disadvantage, as I don't live, breathe, and die, law enforcement/judicial issues. I shall henceforth refrain from referring to the murder charge as "first degree," and shall simply use the term murder, so as not to misinform anyone else in the future. Again, I offer my most sincere apologies to you, and to anyone else who found my faulty memory objectionable.

You're late to the party 12a10. Reading is fundamental.

However, once again, I find myself thanking a fellow Arfcommer for correcting my layman's gaffe, that was based upon a 30+ year old recollection.

As previously stated, I shall henceforth refer to it simply as a "murder" charge. I once again apologize to you, and any other future reader who finds my less than perfect memory objectionable.

Are there any other law enforcement/judicial system wonks that care to make sure that I am aware that there is no "First Degree Murder" charge in the state of Georgia? Although, I must say, at this point I think I am beginning to retain the fact that "First Degree Murder" does NOT exist as a charge here in the state of Georgia, NOR did it, at the time that I served as foreman of a jury that tried a convicted felon for killing a man in self defense, over thirty years ago.....

I double checked my spelling, but all speeling Nazis are invited to join in as well!!!
Grammar Nazis might can have some fun to!!!

Question of the day: is "have some fun to!!!" a spelling, or grammar error?

ETA: Beat to the post by georgia357 whilst creating my "wall-o-text and waiting on a customer.....  
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

ETA: Beat to the post by georgia357 whilst creating my "wall-o-text and waiting on a customer.....  
View Quote

Liar! Pawn shops don't have customers! They only have window shoppers and low ballering ass's!

on a separate note... would it be considered low balling to offer 50 bucks for a rifle that is listed at 65?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top