Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 10:35:59 PM EDT
I'm not really an ak guy but my dad bought this and I looked at it and noticed either the gas block or front sight was canted. I can't really tell which one it is.

Anyways, does anyone have a recommended gunsmith that can fix this? Or is it something I'd be able to do myself?

Some angles make it look like the front sight is canted. Others look like the GB is the culprit

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like they are both off, gas block to the left and front sight to the right.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a vise and several different weights of smasher whackers!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a vice and several different weights of smasher whackers!
View Quote

You would need a vise to work on that rifle. What you do behind closed doors during your spare time is up to you - we don't hafta know about your bad habits!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna blame that on autocorrect!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Lol. You've done a couple things for me like the Sig w/ feeding issues and some sights. Have you ever done any ak fixing?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:33:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I can beat the shit out of it with a hammer. That's how they fix them in Russia!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lol. You've done a couple things for me like the Sig w/ feeding issues and some sights. Have you ever done any ak fixing?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way those are done is by removing the pin, milling a new retention notch, and replacing with a custom larger pin.

It's a lot of work. Just FYI, I have aks and kits from nearly everywhere, and they all are canted a bit. Even the higher end Bulgarian/Hungarian etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can beat the shit out of it with a hammer. That's how they fix them in Russia!
View Quote

Came in here to post this.

I've used this guy:

Here's my WASR 10/63 with most halal armorer's kit.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
It looks like the gas block is canted left, which would make the fsb look off the other way. Just take out the pins, whack it straight, redrill for pins, and punch them in.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I've actually done a similar fix before on a similar rifle. Used a round file to cut the new groove in the barrel. Worked like a champ.

If you want me to look at it and see if it's doable for me, give me a holler. I'd be happy to look at it for you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info guys. I might just buy a trashcan for it. I think that usually fixes them.

I may give you a shout too Shep. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The sights look OK to me, the gas block is all kinds of wonky. I think if you flip it upside down and rest the sights on a flat surface and check that there are four points of contact. Two on the rear sight and the wings on the front.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The sights look OK to me, the gas block is all kinds of wonky. I think if you flip it upside down and rest the sights on a flat surface and check that there are four points of contact. Two on the rear sight and the wings on the front.
View Quote
I didn't think of that. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#14]

I love this bar...

OP,

I can't help you because I didn't seen no da-da-damn waste basket device...

BUTT!!! if'n that be a WILTON vise, sir...

da-da-damn, what you want for it?!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top