Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 8:34:38 PM EDT
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to AR rifles.  Learning a lot from this site.  I would like to find a local Atl gunsmith that can install a free-float quad rail, since I don't have the tools.  Can anybody recommend someone?  The cheaper the better.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow you really are new. First post. Join date. For tradition I should rag you unmercifully, but not today, I'm feeling saucy. Where you located? Are you a psycho? A neckbeard? A moby? Should I invite you over and knock that rail install out for you? These are questions I must ponder.

Welcome to arfcom. Maybe.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I respect traditions, so rag on! I'm in Decatur, and I go to Georgia Tech, RamblinWreck!  I don't mind driving an hour away, especially if I can learn from someone willing to show me how to do it myself, without looking at a Youtube video.  

And no, I'm not a psycho, no neckbeard lol.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the rifle and what is the rail? There must be 3-4 places closer to Decatur that could do this for you, I imagine...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a bushmaster orc.  The rail is just a generic quad rail off ebay, no name.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have a decent workbench and vise I would go to amazon or your local gun store and get an AR wrench, upper vise block, and a few puches and other common tools from your local hardware store. You should be able to get everything for under $100. Go to the Build it yourself forum and have fun.

I installed my first barrel today, If you can follow simple directions its not that hard.

I can understand if you dont have a bench and vise and just want to get it done. sometimes its just faster.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
So, you got this? If so no need to remove gas block and it makes it easier...

No name rail? Post the ebay listing, or one like it. Not airsoft is it? Did it come with a wrench for the barrel nut? Or does it re-use the one on there?

Damn, you must be a broke-ass student. Damn poor, rat.  <- ragging

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions, becks83.  You're right, learning and doing it myself would be best.  I don't have a bench or vise, and I'm just renting a room in a house while I attend grad school, so I don't have the space for one.  And the cost of the bench, vice, tools...  I would rather not purchase all those things for something that I would rarely do right now.

Yes RamblinWreck!  That's the one.  I'm not sure how to remove it without removing the gas block, and I think the sling needs to be chopped off.  Here's the rail: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Extra-length-Free-Float-Quad-Rail-Handguard-Black-w-Barrel-nut-/311271070913?
It didn't say airsoft, so I'm assuming it's real, and it did come with a hex key.

And yes, I am broke as a joke lol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The steps would be (somewhat simplified for brevity):
1. unload and clear rifle
2. unload and clear rifle
3. unload and clear rifle
4. separate upper from lower and remove bolt group and charging handle from upper. Take off any optics or whatnot.
5. remove plastic handguards by pulling down on delta ring.
6. drive out gas tube roll pin and remove gas tube (sometimes they are stuck, best to have a new gas tube and roll pin handy)
7. place upper in vise with vise block and remove barrel nut. Barrel nut should slide over gas block - assuming here. Cut off bayo lug and remove sling swivel (remove rivet) if needed to clear nut or new tube. This I can only do with a Dremel cut-off wheel as I do not have a mill. Cold blue any cuts on gas block.
8. clean and lube barrel nut receiver threads with moly grease, install new barrel nut, again assuming it will slide over gas block. Tighten & loosen nut 3 times, then torque so that gas tube clearance is correct and nut has at least 30 ft*lbs torque. Install gas tube.
9. Your rail appears to be a "glue on" rail with lock ring. In this case I put a little red locktite on the barrel nut threads (degrease first) but not on the lock ring. Thread on tube, align rail to receiver rail with clamp or carry handle, tighten lock ring. Let locktite set up overnight.
10. reassemble upper and lower and go test.

Some steps may vary depending on if Murphy is helping. I may have forgot a few small details. I would expect you to do steps 1-5 and only bring me the upper. I do not know you, so tell me more about you. I am busy this weekend but may be able to do it for you Sunday AM. Price will be a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Cold.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Bring it to Bullseye in Lawrenceville tonight after 6 and I'll do it for you and show you how. $35 is the shop's fee.

-signed a certified armorer and Tech Alum.
Eta, re-looked at your pic. Gas block mod work extra time and $. In addition to cutting off the bayo lug and swivel, you'll probably have to reprofile the sides too. We have Troy Low Pros in stock to replace it with.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome. Even a broke-ass grad student can afford that deal, and the drive is much closer. I knew HTF would come thru.

Plus, I'm off the hook. I really only like working on my guns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks ASH556 and RamblinWreck!  I will bring it to Bullseye tonight.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:49:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Double Tap...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:53:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Ga Tech??? Sling it over your shoulder and walk to stoddards off 17th...
Btw... Welcome to the boards if you own a Black Rain Ar you might as well leave before the butt hurt begins.
If you are new stay away from eBay and amazon. Say no to nc star and utg as us before you buy and save yourself a lot of headache.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks foreman2000!  Appreciate all the advice.  I saw first hand today why the quad rail from ebay was so cheap...  You get what you pay for.

And big thanks to ASH556 and the guys over at Bullseye in Lawrenceville.  ASH556 was extremely helpful, not only installing my free-floating handguard but also gave me tips on everything, from dissassembly, lubricating, and what to look for when it's time to buy my own tools.  Dispelled a lot of wrong information I was seeing on Youtube.  And their prices on guns are really good too!  I will be back to buy the new LC9S when I save a few more pennies.  And I now know where to direct people when they need to go for their firearm needs.

Thanks again everybody!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I think this if the first new guy that didn't want relocation advice from Yankeedom or wanting someone to host an 80% books party!

Maybe the tide had turned!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#16]
For future reference I'm in your exact same situation, except I have tools. Bring some beer over next time and I'll do it for free.

Also are you a member of the shooting club on campus?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the offer Deimo5!  I will take you up on it, just let me know which brew to bring over.

And I didn't even know there was a club.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top