Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2015 10:02:04 PM EDT
Just got back from me recon trip to Cumming. From what I can tell, it seems to be the place for me. Had a nice chat with a guy at Cigar Studio 57, he lie in Gwynett Co, and says if he did it all again he would live in Forsyth Co. I like that my potential employer, the hospital, is right there and that traffic is no worse than where i live now. Great schools rates the schools 9-10 for grammar, middle and high, but my friend who lives in Dacula says they are misleading and that area is full of illegals working on chicken farms. Say a lot of Mexican restaurants but 100% of the people I ran into were white or black.
So is it a good place for joe average middle class American to live?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That's northern Cumming. South Cumming is Indians.

One thing to check for the schools is the percentage of students on discounted lunch program.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]

I work in Cumming, great place to work.

I live in Dawsonville cause...it's not Cumming.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One thing to check for the schools is the percentage of students on discounted lunch program.
View Quote

dot or feathers? Good idea about looking at the lunch program
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

how long of a commute is that?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Come on, tell the truth now. You live in Dawsonville because of River Bend Gun Club!  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About 10-20 minutes depending on where in Dawsonville/Cumming. Plus you'll be traveling against the traffic flow so that's good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I am really enjoying living in South Forsyth but have to commute to Brookhaven for work...  

If I worked in Forsyth/Cumming I'd probably try to find a place outside the 'burbs; shoot pistol off back porch, that kinda place.  

Regardless, I think you are choosing a great location to live and raise a family.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am really enjoying living in South Forsyth but have to commute to Brookhaven for work...  

If I worked in Forsyth/Cumming I'd probably try to find a place outside the 'burbs; shoot pistol off back porch, that kinda place.  

Regardless, I think you are choosing a great location to live and raise a family.
View Quote

cool. Thats what I'm looking for a place i can shoot in the back yard, where would one look for such places, Cumming seems too populated for that, Gainsville?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones that make the schools all get 10s! And make great neighbor's, you never see them
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

cool. Thats what I'm looking for a place i can shoot in the back yard, where would one look for such places, Cumming seems too populated for that, Gainsville?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not Gainesville. Having lived there for near 35 years, I'd pick almost anywhere else. I work there and am glad to commutes 30 minutes.

Where are you coming from? If north of the Mason/Dixon, by law you have to live in ATL.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, not Gainesville. Having lived there for near 35 years, I'd pick almost anywhere else. I work there and am glad to commutes 30 minutes.

Where are you coming from? If north of the Mason/Dixon, by law you have to live in ATL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not saying :) No way in hell I'd live inside the loop
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're gonna have to look more in the Dawsonville /Dahlonega area for that kind of place.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome, and yea, now days, you'll have to go to extreme north Forsyth or Dawson County to be able to shoot very much on your property. Sure you can do it legally in other areas if you have the land, but generally it aint worth the hassle. I've stopped shooting on my property about 10 years ago. You aren't working in the ER by chance are you?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Welcome, and yea, now days, you'll have to go to extreme north Forsyth or Dawson County to be able to shoot very much on your property. Sure you can do it legally in other areas if you have the land, but generally it aint worth the hassle. I've stopped shooting on my property about 10 years ago. You aren't working in the ER by chance are you?
View Quote

I have in the past, but currently in the Neuro Surgical ICU, Not in the area yet, if we move it will be mid summer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yet.  :)  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just got back from me recon trip to Cumming. From what I can tell, it seems to be the place for me. Had a nice chat with a guy at Cigar Studio 57, he lie in Gwynett Co, and says if he did it all again he would live in Forsyth Co. I like that my potential employer, the hospital, is right there and that traffic is no worse than where i live now. Great schools rates the schools 9-10 for grammar, middle and high, but my friend who lives in Dacula says they are misleading and that area is full of illegals working on chicken farms. Say a lot of Mexican restaurants but 100% of the people I ran into were white or black.

View Quote

If you are coming from another city in the south, Cumming is a great place to live.   If you are from up north, it is a a horrible, horrible hellhole and you should go somewhere else.  :)

In reality, it is a good place to raise a family.  Not a whole lot of exciting things to do, really, but is not far from places that have excitement, and you can get back to the nice quiet area quickly enough afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you are coming from another city in the south, Cumming is a great place to live.   If you are from up north, it is a a horrible, horrible hellhole and you should go somewhere else.  :)

In reality, it is a good place to raise a family.  Not a whole lot of exciting things to do, really, but is not far from places that have excitement, and you can get back to the nice quiet area quickly enough afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot USPSA, 3 gun, hunt fish, drink beer an play golf occasionally. Not really an exciting type of guy, my wife is all about our son. Exciting isn't important to us.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Be sure you do not live in the city limits. the discharge of a firearm within the city limits is prohibited. If you are county and not city you have the right to shoot on your land provided you obey the state laws which I believe are 50 yards from a public road and not aiming the firearm at a person or their dwelling. Try to get a house backing up to woods or farm land and cut yourself a small berm. GTG. For the most part our SO has been outstanding.

The further North you are willing to live the better IMHO. Dawsonville would be a 30 minute or less commute for you if working 8am - 5pm.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
that part of cumming (from 20, south in the 400 area) is about 60% mexicans and indians (dots).

I life in south forsyth on the fulton county/gwinnett county corner.  my area is 70% white (followed very closely by indian)..

go northeast in forsyth and you're gonna get a mix of everything (emphasis on the redneck).

all in all.. it's a pretty safe area, decent schools (south forsyth has the best schools in the county).

pm me and I'll tell you anything you want to know about it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Sigh. It seems like yesterday, ol' Hosea was on the news saying something like "... there are more ESKIMOS than black folks living in Forsyth County ..."

I moved to the Cumming/S Forsyth area 24 years ago, have most of my career (EE) in the area, and raised two kids here. I must say, I am ready to move and have been for years. I am headed way out in the sticks as soon as I find my spot. Cumming? Yurz. I'm out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Bill over at Cigar studio 57? That's a good little cigar bar, they all the time have events.

I live in in-incorporated Cumming, off Hwy 369, and IMO it's the best on the "north side." Cumming has grown a LOT in the last 10 yrs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dot....Avoid Windamire. Go up exit 16 or further. Dawsonville in only another 10 miles up the road which is a decent town as well but doesn't have all that Cumming has, pros and cons to everything.

Again, I like off Hwy 369 where Ga 400 ends. If you want specifics, PM me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sigh. It seems like yesterday, ol' Hosea was on the news saying something like "... there are more ESKIMOS than black folks living in Forsyth County ..."

I moved to the Cumming/S Forsyth area 24 years ago, have most of my career (EE) in the area, and raised two kids here. I must say, I am ready to move and have been for years. I am headed way out in the sticks as soon as I find my spot. Cumming? Yurz. I'm out.
View Quote

Egghead.(AE, Class o' 86)

Just keep on trucking up 23 or 400, I guess.  Rabun Co. or so.  Of course, I'm an isolationist at this point (except this arfcom spender-of-time).  Others surely have employment obligations that require social contact.

I'm out, too, as in the state, but my rec for working in Cumming would be to live as far into Dawson Co. as you could stand it.  Hell, all the way to Union Co. or into Carolina, but that would be a crappy commute.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep as soon as my youngest graduates I'm going to make like a shepherd and get the flock out. That's 8 years though. Should have a nice bit of equity by then. Been on my acerage in southwest forsyth for about 17 years.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I shoot USPSA, 3 gun, hunt fish, drink beer an play golf occasionally. Not really an exciting type of guy, my wife is all about our son. Exciting isn't important to us.
View Quote

Sounds like you are from Alabama, not up north!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess New York
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear comments like that pretty regularly, but no, from the north. And before I hear it, not a libtard, hate lubtards, have no libtarded ideologies, I think liberalism us a mental disorder caused by a brain rotting virus. I also know better than to say " where I come from this ..." because where I come from its pretty ass backwards
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Welcome, and yea, now days, you'll have to go to extreme north Forsyth or Dawson County to be able to shoot very much on your property.
View Quote

I shoot all the time in N Gwinnett . . . it's only suppressed though
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of area between route 20 and route 53 that is kind of rural, and would be ok for shooting in the back yard, although lots of development going on in this area also.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dot....Avoid Windamire. Go up exit 16 or further. Dawsonville in only another 10 miles up the road which is a decent town as well but doesn't have all that Cumming has, pros and cons to everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

369 and 400 is where i am and it is a great area.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Great info, thanks. As long as the wife can get a decent job, it's a go for mid summer. Not getting excited tho, too many things can go wrong in the next 6 months.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome, and yea, now days, you'll have to go to extreme north Forsyth or Dawson County to be able to shoot very much on your property.

Well, yea, I still shoot a little suppressed duh, I thought that went without saying....
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm in NORTH Forsyth (almost Dawsonville).
Love it.
Schools are excellent. Our kids have gone to North Forsyth Middle and North Forsyth High. NFHS has an EXCELLENT Marine Corps Jr ROTC program. These kids are squared away thanks to a great Gunny and Major who run the program. We have one on active duty now that spent all four years of HS in the program.

Check them out!! http://youtu.be/CqJGctSY7wg

In all seriousness, Forsyth is THE place to be in my opinion.
I'm available as well if you would like to discuss further.

Of course, as soon as our youngest is gone, I'm ready to move on to something less suburban as well. However, if you have to be near anything, this is the place to be.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which kind of indian are you?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Please tell me more about cigar studio 57- reference my name and you'll see why  
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The soulless kind.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#38]

369 and 400 is where i am and it is a great area.
View Quote

It is way too trafficky and urban for me around there.  Traffic backs up at that light all the way to the outlet malls.

But--Ferguson's for the win.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty good place, selection is good and they have events. Recently had Rocky Patel's area rep there (very attractive 20-something) giving out stuff. Right next to Que on Hwy 20...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

As Diver said, very cozy and there are beverages for purchase also which imo is pretty cool. We went to"Cue for dinner and then for cigars. Wife is still on the fence, not really sure why. It's annoying.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

As Diver said, very cozy and there are beverages for purchase also which imo is pretty cool. We went to"Cue for dinner and then for cigars. Wife is still on the fence, not really sure why. It's annoying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cumming is great.  I grew up in Alpharetta and moved up tot Cumming after college, right before the big growth hit.  Spent some time in Ball Ground, which I also enjoyed and then moved back to Cumming last year.  

It is in a pretty decent location to most everything.  I wouldn't want to work inside the perimeter and commute though.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#42]
One last question (for now ) is Forsyth Co. gtg with NFA or should i just go the trust route?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

One last question (for now ) is Forsyth Co. gtg with NFA or should i just go the trust route?
View Quote
GTG, Sheriff lives about a mile from me.  He is a pretty decent dude.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#44]
North Forsyth checking in.

Absolutely love it
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Absolutely love it
View Quote

There goes the neighborhood.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely love it

I was thinking the same thing - did Dawson kick you out? Damn Northerners....... invading.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#47]
South Forsyth resident here. The northern part of the county is pretty legit, the south end where I'm at is overrun by Yankees, yuppies, and Indians (the kind that try to haggle at Lowes and clean out the Nissan dealerships of Leafs)

I graduated South High and had no complaints about the school system, but that was 05 so it may have gone downhill a bit since then. Our sheriffs office is really good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Sorry few more questions, looks like this is a go for mid summer AND the wife is down with moving to the out skirts with some property, if we can find an affordable place that suits her. And assuming we both get the jobs we wan't. Lot of if's but it should be a go.

Anywho, how long does it to take to close on a house?

And, anybody know of anyplace that has short term like 6 months of less rentals? Has to be cool with dogs, not leaving the bitches behind.

i searched the Internets but couldn't find the answer to either.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Cumming is big enough size wise you need to think of it as two areas. South Cumming/Forsyth is very different than north Cumming.

We moved to South Cumming because of the schools. Houses were selling so fast that we actually missed out on 7 houses that were listed and put under contract in a weekend. My agent said lots of these were pre sells.

An example is we looked at one that was listed Thursday night. Looked at it Friday morning and by noon we faxed an offer in and it was already under contract....

All depends on what school system the house was in.

Don't know anything about the north part.

Find a good aggressive agent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top