Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 9:56:17 AM EDT
Does anyone here shoot USPSA?  I think it's about time I got into it, but even though there's a lot of info out there I've had a hard time finding answers to simple questions...

I had assumed I'd want to shoot in the Production division, but I've read about a few first time shooters being placed in Limited.  What's the real difference?  There's a lot of talk about holsters but not much about belts.  I want a new belt setup and like the idea of the two piece systems but I'm not sure if that's acceptable in either of these divisions.  I'll be shooting a factory stock full-sized 9mm with a 5.25" barrel if that makes a difference.  I've read some stuff about power factor and major/minor but I'm not sure how that plays into scoring.

Any pointers?

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
You need a holster that is sturdy, covers the trigger guard and mounts on the belt. No cross draw, no small of the back, no leg holsters. A mag pouch that hold two spare mags on the belt and minimum of 3 magazines (2 on belt, 1 in gun).  Production is better for beginners because of its minimal gear requirement as I stated above.  The magazines are loaded to 10 rounds only.

Shoot a few matches, talk to a bunch of actual shooters, listen, pay attention to the range officers.  

Don't touch or play with your gun outside of the designated safety area unless you want to be disqualified.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Re:  Divisions, it really boils down to if you want to load your mags to capacity or not.  That may give you a little relief as a new shooter to not have to reload as often.  If that's the case, play in Limited to begin with.

If you aim to shoot in production in the future, then I'd start in Production and not mess around with Limited, where you'll be at a disadvantage with a stock, unmodified gun.

I'm a big fan of the inner/outer belt system.  I use a DAA belt http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Double-Alpha-Competition-Belt-Black-P248.aspx, but CR Speed gets a lot of love too.  It's all USPSA legal.  I use a Bladetech Black Ice holster but almost any will work as long as it is safe (i.e. covers the trigger area, etc.) and sturdy.  

The other advantage of shooting Production is that all scoring is minor power factor.  i.e. a level playing field.  If you shoot 9mm in Limited, then you'll be scoring minor against guys scoring major.

Here is a handy breakdown of scoring points differences.

Good luck, USPSA has become my favorite hobby.  It's rare if I pick up a rifle anymore.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I mainly shoot Single Stack and Revolver.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot minor after trying both . I have only shot a few . I also use a Bladetech . The emphasis is skewed to speed over accuracy to the point at the indoor matches I shoot the winner one week  had misses but was blindingly fast and won overall .
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Go shoot what you have or borrowed. Have fun. Do not be intimidated by all the fancy stuff. Do not feel like you have to buy the latest greatest blaster.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I won't be buying a new pistol for a while. I already have a Serpa, so I'm thinking about just getting a belt and a couple of mag carriers.  I'll be starting with indoor matches so I'm guessing three mags will be good to start? You're limited to 10 rounds per mag for production anyway right?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot minor after trying both . I have only shot a few . I also use a Bladetech . The emphasis is skewed to speed over accuracy to the point at the indoor matches I shoot the winner one week  had misses but was blindingly fast and won overall .
View Quote

Yeah. Based on the target wtturn posted as long as you hit the A every time power factor doesn't matter anyway right?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah. Based on the target wtturn posted as long as you hit the A every time power factor doesn't matter anyway right?
View Quote

Yeah, but the time component will eat you alive.    That's the challenge.   Balancing hits versus time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I promise you that if you hit the A every time and have the lowest time, every time, you'll win!

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I won't be buying a new pistol for a while. I already have a Serpa, so I'm thinking about just getting a belt and a couple of mag carriers.  I'll be starting with indoor matches so I'm guessing three mags will be good to start? You're limited to 10 rounds per mag for production anyway right?
View Quote

Three mags on the belt and a "make ready" mag in your pocket should be fine for indoor matches.

I'd want four on the belt when you start doing bigger matches though.

Yes, 10 rounds per mag in production.  You may load 10+1 in your "make ready" mag, however, if it is a loaded start.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does anyone here shoot USPSA?  I think it's about time I got into it, but even though there's a lot of info out there I've had a hard time finding answers to simple questions...

I had assumed I'd want to shoot in the Production division, but I've read about a few first time shooters being placed in Limited.  What's the real difference?  There's a lot of talk about holsters but not much about belts.  I want a new belt setup and like the idea of the two piece systems but I'm not sure if that's acceptable in either of these divisions.  I'll be shooting a factory stock full-sized 9mm with a 5.25" barrel if that makes a difference.  I've read some stuff about power factor and major/minor but I'm not sure how that plays into scoring.

Any pointers?
View Quote

When I started shooting USPSA, I had only done IDPA before. I introduced myself and asked if I could be near the back of the pack since it was my first time, giving me the opportunity to see plenty of other shooters first. Everyone was very friendly and were eager to welcome new shooters to the sport.

I enjoy the freedom of USPSA, all the rules are pretty much safety or fairness oriented. I enjoy it more than IDPA since you have more options. Depending on the stage, you can start where you want, engage the targets in whichever order you want, and from any position you want. I've only shot production, and use a leather CCW holster. I focus more on shooting from cover and getting hits, than the time and game part of it. I felt like I was moving very slowly after watching people in the open division. But I shot a CCW match a week later with my Glock 19 and IWB holster and ended up getting 4th (of 40-50). I would say shooting USPSA definitely sped up my shooting and contributed to that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would say shooting USPSA definitely sped up my shooting and contributed to that.
View Quote

A very wise man in this HTF told me a few years ago; "If you want to be a better pistol shooter, shoot USPSA".
He was right, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot my first USPSA match Thursday night. It was three stages with a total round count of 66. I shot in the Production division. I think I did pretty well for a first timer, but nowhere near the top of the pack. All those Youtube videos make it look easy. I had my first malfunction ever with my pistol.  I had my hands too high in a port shooting steel and the slide drug the top of the opening slowing it down and causing a FTE. Overall it was a very fun night.  They posted the scores and I placed next to last in Production and 2nd in unclassified shooters.  I'm not happy with my performance but I'm not beating myself up over it being the first time.  I spent some time at the range today trying to get some stuff sorted out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I shot my first USPSA match Thursday night. It was three stages with a total round count of 66. I shot in the Production division. I think I did pretty well for a first timer, but nowhere near the top of the pack. All those Youtube videos make it look easy. I had my first malfunction ever with my pistol.  I had my hands too high in a port shooting steel and the slide drug the top of the opening slowing it down and causing a FTE. Overall it was a very fun night.  They posted the scores and I placed next to last in Production and 2nd in unclassified shooters.  I'm not happy with my performance but I'm not beating myself up over it being the first time.  I spent some time at the range today trying to get some stuff sorted out.
View Quote

It's good to find those things out during uspsa than on a two way range. You'll get used to shooting through the windows and around barriers with practice. I wouldn't worry about your place right now. I don't try to the guys running race guns. I'm satisfied if I make good hits and push myself time wise. But I always focus on hits first, even though sometimes it's better to go faster.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

If it's something you wish to pursue, then I recommend getting the Ben Stoeger books.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
USPSA Production is my favorite division to shoot. For the most part, it is in my opinion one of the purest divisions in that everyone has the same mag capacity, there's no power factor games to worry about and there isn't a big equipment race to be competitive.

Production is very easy to get into, as a pistol and a decent holster with four to five spare mags will get you going. I shoot a Glock 17 with nothing fancy other than an upgraded set of sights, a minus connector and a little grip tape.

Theres a good contingent of Production shooters around Atlanta, so you should easily find other shooters to help you along the way. The three outdoor matches I like to shoot are South River (1st Sunday), Cherokee (2nd Saturday) and River Bend (4th Saturday). There are a few others as well if you do a search. Finally, you can find several indoor matches during the week and one or two on Sunday nights. Most of the clubs have Facebook pages that provide the latest updates and links to online sign up.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you've got as I've got a decent amount of experience with Production.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

USPSA Production is my favorite division to shoot. For the most part, it is in my opinion one of the purest divisions in that everyone has the same mag capacity, there's no power factor games to worry about and there isn't a big equipment race to be competitive.

Production is very easy to get into, as a pistol and a decent holster with four to five spare mags will get you going. I shoot a Glock 17 with nothing fancy other than an upgraded set of sights, a minus connector and a little grip tape.

Theres a good contingent of Production shooters around Atlanta, so you should easily find other shooters to help you along the way. The three outdoor matches I like to shoot are South River (1st Sunday), Cherokee (2nd Saturday) and River Bend (4th Saturday). There are a few others as well if you do a search. Finally, you can find several indoor matches during the week and one or two on Sunday nights. Most of the clubs have Facebook pages that provide the latest updates and links to online sign up.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you've got as I've got a decent amount of experience with Production.
View Quote

You're being a bit too modest.  

I've seen you shoot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
/snip.
View Quote

What do you know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top