Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2014 8:24:36 PM EDT
Any skiers here?  I haven't strapped on the boards since before we moved down here 10 years ago.  Yikes!  Looking for a recommendation on a family friendly ski resort that also has ski in - ski out lodging available up in the NC mountains.

Many thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any skiers here?  I haven't strapped on the boards since before we moved down here 10 years ago.  Yikes!  Looking for a recommendation on a family friendly ski resort that also has ski in - ski out lodging available up in the NC mountains.

Many thanks!
View Quote

I haven't been but I've heard snowshoe wv is the closest real ski resort.

We are talking about trying cataloochee this year but its a day trip place with lodging nearby.

Went to Breckinridge 2 years ago and it was an amazing place to relearn how to ski. They had green runs for miles.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife and I go to Ski Beech every year, not a bad place especially considering it's a 3.5hr drive. We try to go to Utah or Colorado every year too.

When we go to Ski Beech, we stay at Alpin Inn and it's about a mile from Beech Mountain, good little In with very comfy beds and a nice bar/restaurant inside.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Boone, nc has several with in a few minutes of each other. About 3.5hrs from Atlanta

Family friendly for them to try out for the first time?  Catalooche is only 2.5hrs north of here. Cheaper too
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boone, nc has several with in a few minutes of each other. About 3.5hrs from Atlanta

Family friendly for them to try out for the first time?  Catalooche is only 2.5hrs north of here. Cheaper too
View Quote

Exactly!  We have 3 girls...10, 7, & 4.  First time for all of them.  I'm leaning towards Beech.  

When talking about heading out west to ski I gve the same answer asked if I own my own plane...I'm an airline pilot...I can't afford that!  Get lots of funny looks with that one.  

Thanks for the info y'all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Cataloochee is the closest at 3 hrs in Maggie valley, then in Boone there's Appalachian which is more for park riders, sugar which I like for all mountain riding, and beech which I like the least due to open top mountain so it's really windy and icy. Snow shoe is the best east coast riding you'll get but it's not in nc. Stop by your local Peter Glenn ski and sports in Sandy springs for all your ski needs. Duncan and Bill are amazing in regards to ski gear. Ask for Vince for any snowboarding gear.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#6]
In NC, I'm partial to Sugar Mountain, if only because they have runs that are reasonably long and enough lifts that it doesn't get ridiculously crowded.  As a previous poster mentioned, you can stay in Boone or Banner Elk and have several options.  Catalooche is too small and crowded IMHO.  Other problem is that the weather there is not as consistently cold and conditions are hard to predict.  If heading out west, personally I like Utah the best.  SLC is only 45 min to the resorts in the Wasatch Mtn's.  If you leave early enough, you can even fly and ski in the same day.  Park City is very family oriented with lots of nice restaurants and activities.  There's a hot spring about 45 min south where you can do a hot soak and even scuba dive (about 75 ft) in 95 degree water.  Where else can you ski, and SCUBA all in the same place LOL?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I've snowboarded them all.  Here's the pecking order as close to Colorado type resorts in the Southeast

1.  Snowshoe, WV  but it's a hell of a drive 8+ hour drive if you add in snow on roads to the mix it's bad, most runs in SE US, true ski in ski out, resort style amenities

2. Banner Elk/Boone, NC  Toss up between Sugar or Beech.  Beech has a more central area with restaurants etc, more ski in ski out, but the runs aren't as long as Sugar.  Edge to Sugar for quality of skiing

3. Cattalooche inexpensive, closer to certain parts of GA, cons snow quality not near what it is in Boone

4. Gatlinburg........crappy slopes, crappy snow, cheeseball tourist trap

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with everything the gooch said.  Re: WV, At 8 hrs away, I'd rather fly to UT as it would take about the same amount of time LOL.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Gooch nailed it.

I am a season pass holder for Snowshoe, and agree its a heck of a drive from NorthGA - but worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top