Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 10:24:55 AM EDT
Cross posted in the Sig Forum, but not much luck there so far. Figured I'd come to the GA HTF Font of Knowledge

I've got 5 factory mags for my P238. 3 will cause the slide to lock back, and 2 won't. I've swapped mag springs around, and that doesn't help. I've also replace the slide stop spring. I noticed that the slide stop barely engages with the working mags. I'm just wondering if others with a P238 see the slide lock fully engage, or does it look like this? Wondering if I've got 2 bad mags, or they are just a symptom of something else wrong with the gun. I've got an RMA to send it back to Sig, just hate to see the gun gone for 4-5 weeks.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a few off the cuff WAG questions.....

Is it well broken in?
Have you tried different ammo types?
Have you lubricated the slide?
Checked for metal "flashing" that ought to be smoothed/removed?
Is this a new problem, or has it always done this?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is it well broken in?
View Quote

Is it well broken in? Fewer than 200 rounds
Have you tried different ammo types? yes, but it fails when I operate the slide manually
Have you lubricated the slide? just normal
Checked for metal "flashing" that ought to be smoothed/removed? I'll do this
Is this a new problem, or has it always done this? New gun... so guess it has always done this.

Do you have one in your shop you can test? Curious if the slide lock should fully engage when operated manually, or if it looks like it does in my picture. Guess I could run by a fun store today and see.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Have you tried different ammo types? yes, but it fails when I operate the slide manually
Is this a new problem, or has it always done this? New gun... so guess it has always done this.

Do you have one in your shop you can test? Curious if the slide lock should fully engage when operated manually, or if it looks like it does in my picture. Guess I could run by a fun store today and see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it well broken in?

I don't have one, but I have a buddy that might. He's a pawnbroker in NC, a Sig fanboy, and a pretty durn good gunsmith. I'll be sure to check with him for ya.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't have one, but I have a buddy that might. He's a pawnbroker in NC, a Sig fanboy, and a pretty durn good gunsmith. I'll be sure to check with him for ya.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it well broken in?

OK, thanks a lot.

I bought the gun for my wife, and it is a sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a 238 but the mags in my 938 push the catch up higher than that. Not fully but closer to it.

I noticed metalform is selling p238 mags. Did Sig change mag manufacturers? Might try one of theirs and see how it works.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/742824/metalform-magazine-sig-sauer-p238-380-acp-stainless-steel

Sending it back may be the best choice. I bought a new stainless elite 226 couple years ago and the locking block was machined incorrectly.Gun functioned but the block was not held in place as it should be and it would spring up and down with finger pressure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it well broken in?

no high jack here, super glad to see you post ol buddy
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I just checked mine and it engages all the way to the top.  Checked with 2 factory mags and both go all the way to the top.

If you're around Cumming, you're more than welcome to try my mags to see if it's a gun problem or a mag problem.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just checked mine and it engages all the way to the top.  Checked with 2 factory mags and both go all the way to the top.

If you're around Cumming, you're more than welcome to try my mags to see if it's a gun problem or a mag problem.
View Quote

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have 5 factory mags, and 3 of them only partially engage. The other two never engage. I can't imagine I have 5 bad mags. Looks like my wife will be back to her j-frame for the next month or so.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds like the catch may be machined improperly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a pic of mine.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks for posting the pic. That's what I would expect to see. Definitely going to send it back.

Guess it is OK to hijack my own thread. Have you found a decent holster for yours? My wife's has the sig laser, so that makes it a little tougher to find.

ETA: Can you check one more thing? When you pull the slide off, and insert the slide stop. Does the spring on the side of the frame look like it touches the slide stop?

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is the response my buddy gave me:

I would polish the part of the slide that hits the stop and the part of the stop that hits the slide.  Also polish the slide stop rod that goes through the frame and make sure the barrel link moves freely on both pivot points.  Last I would as I do on all mine install a +10% mag spring.
View Quote

Hope that helps. Best of luck in getting it squared away!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would polish the part of the slide that hits the stop and the part of the stop that hits the slide.  Also polish the slide stop rod that goes through the frame and make sure the barrel link moves freely on both pivot points.  Last I would as I do on all mine install a +10% mag spring.

Cool, thanks for the info. I didn't know there was such thing as a +10% spring. No where did I put my dremel?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting the pic. That's what I would expect to see. Definitely going to send it back.

Guess it is OK to hijack my own thread. Have you found a decent holster for yours? My wife's has the sig laser, so that makes it a little tougher to find.

ETA: Can you check one more thing? When you pull the slide off, and insert the slide stop. Does the spring on the side of the frame look like it touches the slide stop?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lengthwise the spring stops ends just before the slide stop lever.  For the lower part of the spring, it sits on top of the small shelf on the inside bottom of the slide stop lever.

Here's the pocket holster that I use.

Link
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lengthwise the spring stops ends just before the slide stop lever.  For the lower part of the spring, it sits on top of the small shelf on the inside bottom of the slide stop lever.

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

My spring looks the same as you described. Thanks again and for the holster info.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My spring looks the same as you described. Thanks again and for the holster info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Glad it made sense.  I was trying to think of the best way to describe it without it being confusing.

I love that holster.  I'm about to order one for my G42 as well.  He gives LE discounts too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Wife shooting it? Could be limp wristing it a bit. That and most compacts have stiff recoil springs and not much to grab.
Have a few people shoot it before you go removing any material.
JMO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top