Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#1]
While it is probably not applicable to the situation at hand, another thing to consider about "jurisdiction" is agency policy.

When I worked for Marietta PD, the few officers that had a take-home vehicle were made to understand in no uncertain terms that, unless lives were in danger, they were not to make any traffic stops outside of the Marietta city limits. Doing so, unless in the case of a serious emergency, would result in loss of your take-home vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

While it is probably not applicable to the situation at hand, another thing to consider about "jurisdiction" is agency policy.

When I worked for Marietta PD, the few officers that had a take-home vehicle were made to understand in no uncertain terms that, unless lives were in danger, they were not to make any traffic stops outside of the Marietta city limits. Doing so, unless in the case of a serious emergency, would result in loss of your take-home vehicle.
View Quote

I imagine it's a moot point mostly, unless you've got a hard-charging rookie or something, because who wants to have to go to court in another jurisdiction if they can avoid it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

For the officers safety right?  Honest question, does that trump my rights?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...The traffic stop ended with him returning my fire arm (unloaded), and leaving me in the dark, on a motorcycle at night defenseless....

Do you mean that he kept your ammunition?

Ahhhh more details not told
My guess is NO, gun being handed back to someone condition 1 by an officer who made it "safe" for officer safety is highly unlikely.
If he did give you the gun and magazine seperaly like I would imagine then to say you are defenseless is a bit of a stretch. How about this, you got you gun back correct? You got a ticket, if you want to fight that so be it. This "cop took my gun" crap is for the birds. In this day and age with all that's going on around the country  I can see from the cops prospective why he would be jumpy. Not worth it in my opinion to fight this if all of your belongings were given back to you.

For the officers safety right?  Honest question, does that trump my rights?

again like i said in the thread earlier, we are only hearing one side of the story, if the OP was acting like a douche or giving the officer a reason to feel "jump" then yea.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top