Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2014 4:00:55 PM EDT
Tell me where to start looking, and where to avoid!

Atleast 10 acres, no FSA, close to public lands/lakes.  Boxed area is what im looking at so i can travel to work in Raleigh occasionally make trips to family in TX and TN.

ETA...forgot the pic

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Jackson County near Commerce.I love this area personally for many reasons.Hour from ATL/mountains,less than 10 minutes from ATL Dragway,lots of shopping.Half hour to Athens or Gainesville...Not overpopulated and not the booinies either.I'm a transplant also,just figured i'd let you know about this area
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Jasper, Ellijay, or Blue Ridge (each one gets a little farther out but are up a major highway).

Lots of mountains, lots of rivers, tons of creeks, several nice lakes
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I would look for anything in the left third of that box. The further west the less densely populated it is.

My best friend has a cabin in Mentone Alabama, it's practically heaven and close to the bottom left corner of your box. It's on a private lake with very few neighbors, only 30 minutes or less to ft Payne.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
As I know it, and I could be wrong, there is no "public" land. So, unlike TX and where I am from in CA, you cannot just drive down the road and have 50 miles of nothing to shoot on freely or hike and camp. GA seems different like that. We have WMAs with small designated shooting ranges and a number of gun clubs you can join though. In your little box there you have a massive national forest. In my opinion that there is the beauty of GA so if you can get your land connected to it that could be a plus. Thew West side of that box makes TX and TN easier and is less populated. The East makes NC easier and you are a little closer to the ocean. Neither side has an easy route to the other so choose wisely.

Atlanta traffic is about the worst I have ever seen anywhere so live as close to your work as possible.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As I know it, and I could be wrong, there is no "public" land. So, unlike TX and where I am from in CA, you cannot just drive down the road and have 50 miles of nothing to shoot on freely or hike and camp. GA seems different like that. We have WMAs with small designated shooting ranges and a number of gun clubs you can join though. In your little box there you have a massive national forest. In my opinion that there is the beauty of GA so if you can get your land connected to it that could be a plus. Thew West side of that box makes TX and TN easier and is less populated. The East makes NC easier and you are a little closer to the ocean. Neither side has an easy route to the other so choose wisely.

Atlanta traffic is about the worst I have ever seen anywhere so live as close to your work as possible.
View Quote

I agree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top