Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2014 8:21:39 PM EDT
I have young kids that have not been along with me to range curious when the hive first took then to the range to watch, actually shoot and hunting?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have three kids - 12, 8 and 3. I think it depends on the age and the maturity of the child. I took the 12 when she was 11 to Etowah Valley Sporting Clays, she was both physically and mental ready. The 8 year old is not even close to ready but we will see over the next couple of years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I started my daughter when she was 9. At 10 she went 3-for-3 at 800yds with a bolt action .223.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
5 with a suppressed savage mk2
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Both kids at 8. They have to be able to recite the three "always" rules, and explain what they mean. I only take one at a time, and when I think the fewest people will be on the range to reduce noise which increases fun level. Make sure you check 'em to see which eye is dominant. Spent a few frustrating sessions with my daughter until I figured out she was cross eye dominant.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Both kids at 8. They have to be able to recite the three "always" rules, and explain what they mean. I only take one at a time, and when I think the fewest people will be on the range to reduce noise which increases fun level. Make sure you check 'em to see which eye is dominant. Spent a few frustrating sessions with my daughter until I figured out she was cross eye dominant.
View Quote
Don't you mean four rules of firearm safety?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#6]
6 years old. BB gun. Loads of fun. Good start to teach the basics and safety.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Bb gun at 4. Only prone and I cocked it for him.

He's 6 now, still bb gun. But he is allowed to cock it (lever action red rider bb gun)
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#8]
first range trip with me at 18 months

fired a .22 bolt rifle at 2 yo with me helping to hold

fired an AR at 3 with me helping, .22 by himself, me loading,

22/45 at 4 holding himself.  .22 bolt and semi auto by himself.  

at 5, he was prone with a .22 bolt gun shooting cans at 100yards.  25yards with the 22/45  shot a 1911 and g19 with me helping

just turned 6 last week, he has shot 300bo suppressed, 9mm ars, 5.56 ar, and wants to pull the trigger on a .308 to drop a deer this year.  it's probably going to happen.  This kid is scary accurate with anything you put in his hand, and has no
flinch
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, didn't mean that at all. We shoot at an indoor range, so I give 'em extra credit for "know your target and what is beyond." If we had access to an outdoor range, then we'd cover it with a lot more emphasis.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Son: BB Gun at 5 years old, Rim Fire at 7, center-fire rifle at 9, 22LR wheel gun at 10, and semi-auto pistol when he was able to squeeze and hold the safety on my HK P7M13.

Daughter: BB gun at 7, Rim Fire at 10, center-fire rifle at 12, 22LR wheel gun at 13, Ruger GP100 firing 38s at 14, G17 at 16.

In my thinking, the child has to be mature enough for the responsibility as well as fully understand the responsibility. Then be big enough to safely handle said firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top