Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2014 12:53:34 AM EDT
Had my Glock 19 stolen while my car was at the dealership this week. Without throwing them under the bus since they're investigating, I just wanted to get out some details about the gun itself.

Glock 19 olive drab with hogue slip on grip, Glock night sights, extended mag release, LHY280 serial.

For those wishing their best by saying "I'd never leave a gun in my car when it's being serviced at a dealership", thanks, I'd considered that. I've also considered that maybe ppl should keep their hands off what's not theirs locked away in a glove box while at a reputable dealer.

Updated with serial & pictures now that report has been filed. And since since they've shown no interest in investigating any further, this happened at Jim Ellis Porsche off Peachtree Industrial.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
ATF would love to go talk to that dealer....
Goodluck. Sorry to hear it.. really shitty!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ATF would love to go talk to that dealer....
Goodluck. Sorry to hear it.. really shitty!
View Quote

Maybe local LEO but ATF couldn't give two shits.

OP- without throwing the dealer under the bus what AO? North, south ATL? savannah?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
You need to go to dealership management....they need to know so they can prosecute the thief....at least that is what we would do....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Reputable dealer in the metro Atlanta area. I am absolutely going to speak with GM today, and will file the police report then as well. I know a friend that works there as a mechanic, which was one of the reasons I take my car there to begin with. He said they'll "make it right" so we'll see about that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Man, I'd never leave a gun in my car when it's being serviced at a dealership

I'm going to the kennesaw scooby dealership tomorrow for my first service, maybe i'll test how honest they are

But seriously that sucks. Hopefully you'll get $$$ from them and then maybe your weapon back in the near future?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Hope it turns up for you. I also hope the thief gets to visit jail and make lots of men happy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#7]
The mindset to steal a gun.... a thing worth maybe a few hundred bucks..... and risk incarceration. To have to hide it. To always be aware of where it is and what would happen if caught. I just dont get it. Some dude at the shop has a job and some sort of life, maybe a family, and he is going to lift a gun and risk everything for nothing. What am I missing? Where is the potential payoff in stealing the gun? Does this just boil down to being retarded? He could not have set out that morning to steal a gun or he would have not been at work - it was a chance opportunity with huge risk but for what?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had my truck serviced with guns in it before.
However, upon being handed the keys back I IMMEDIATELY check it's still there.
Would be pretty easy to narrow it down from there if it was missing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Why would you not file a police report immediately ?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't have left before the police had arrived.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Police report has been filed. I am not happy with the call I received from the Service Mgr this morning who essentially said sorry, but we're not responsible. I'm giving them til Monday to at least have the GM contact me, but it did not seem like they were interested in even investigating.

It takes someone special to make a habit out of checking out what's in a customer's locked glove box. At the end of the day it's just been a bad series of events. I should have had my car back late Monday, or Tuesday before I had to head out of town, and it would've been worked on by my friend who works there. Instead, well, now we have this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry guys, I'm not perfect. It'd been a busy day, I had just gotten back in town and had other stuff on my mind and didn't check until I got home.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 to this. But last year I learned the hard way about keeping a pistol in my truck, when it was lifted from my truck parked in my driveway. I always park in my garage, so I didn't think much of it...but under the extremely rare instance I parked outside, I got my G26 taken.

Here's the shit though, my neighbor caught this neighborhood-kid in the act going down the line of houses getting into cars. My neighbor took off chasing him, and the kid ran back into HIS OWN GARAGE AT HIS HOUSE, all while tossing wrapping paper along the way from the packages he just snatched and was opening.

Gwinnett PD come out, take a statement, and do NOTHING, even though there's a witness that saw that POS in the act. Fantastic. Now I get to get a phone call every year confirming my firearm is still stolen.

Quoted:
Had my Glock 19 stolen while my car was at the dealership this week. Without throwing them under the bus since they're investigating, I just wanted to get out some details about the gun itself.

Glock 19 olive drab with hogue slip on grip, Glock night sights, extended mag release, LHYxxx serial.

For those wishing their best by saying "I'd never leave a gun in my car when it's being serviced at a dealership", thanks, I'd considered that. I've also considered that maybe ppl should keep their hands off what's not theirs locked away in a glovebox while at a reputable dealer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Unfortunately, this is why I have a ConsoleVault with the key on a quick-detach lanyard, so I can hand a mechanic, valet, etc a key but not give them access to my locking compartment.  There's enough room inside the console for me to have a pistol resting on top of the vault while I'm driving around (at least in my Expedition) and still not be exposed, but if I'm parking anywhere other than the gated parking lot at work or in my garage, I can move the pistol to the vault.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Call channel 46 news.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Call channel 46 news.
View Quote

Thanks, just submitted "my story" to their investigative team. Also submitted to Channel 5's consumer action earlier as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you ask to review their Camera system?
Your gun is lost. The only way you will get it back is if he takes it to a FFL and the run a check on it; or the police run a check.
I found one for a officer that was stiolen 3 years earlier when I ran a check on it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks, just submitted "my story" to their investigative team. Also submitted to Channel 5's consumer action earlier as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Call channel 46 news.

Good call.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd appreciate you telling us the dealership name - especially seeing as how they're telling you to kiss ass on this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I just posted this on every Facebook post over the past 4 months.  I would encourage others to comment via Facebook also.

"So a customers gun is stolen out of his car while being serviced at your dealership and you do nothing?

Sounds like a terrible business plan to me."

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry to hear about your weapon.

Take solace in knowing one thing for certain.

THE LORD SAW IT ALL.

And truly, that's the only witness to the crime you need.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

THE LORD SAW IT ALL.

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Now I'm curious as to which model you have?

Car that is
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
i work on MANY vehicles that have weapons in them, if the customer is waiting i go talk to them personal to let them know i saw their weapon, most people seem to be OK with that. i have worked on a vehicle that was loaded and the hammer pulled back under the drivers seat, the service manager had the customer come and remove it.

OP sorry you had your pistol stolen, i know the Ford dealership i work at would have called the sheriff if you didn't, they don't play around about theft. they would make it right, talking to the GM is the next step
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE LORD SAW IT ALL.

lol

Again,LOL
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#26]
This is more common that people admit at dealerships . I had them go through my locked console and glove box at Bleakly Ford ,. Friend of mine had his watch stolen there .
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Again,LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE LORD SAW IT ALL.

lol

Again,LOL

I thought the 13'rs were bad.......
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

THE LORD SAW IT ALL.

View Quote

Next time you talk to him, see if you can get him to call the popo and let them know who took the OP's gun and where it is now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#29]
You said you were pretty busy that day, but how certain are you that it was taken at the dealership?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I shared it with some friends. Their FB page is getting pounded ;)
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Their rating has dropped from a 4.8 to a 3.9 haha

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/gentleman4561/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4693_zps35e4b9f3.png.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/gentleman4561/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4693_zps35e4b9f3.png</a>
View Quote

Did you reply to every photo they have posted with the same comment?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You said you were pretty busy that day, but how certain are you that it was taken at the dealership?
View Quote

Yessir. By busy, I meant I got back into town, drove the loaner back to the dealer, went immediately home (garaged) and about an hour later remembered to check for it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:40:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/gentleman4561/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4693_zps35e4b9f3.png.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/gentleman4561/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4693_zps35e4b9f3.png</a>

Yup, along with two other guys.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:43:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Well looks like someone took to Craigstlist for help...

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/zip/4772835175.html

View Quote

lol!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

lol!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/zip/4772835175.html

lol!

And it's gone!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#38]
You should post a fire mission in GD.

Release the hounds!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, this is why I have a ConsoleVault with the key on a quick-detach lanyard, so I can hand a mechanic, valet, etc a key but not give them access to my locking compartment.  There's enough room inside the console for me to have a pistol resting on top of the vault while I'm driving around (at least in my Expedition) and still not be exposed, but if I'm parking anywhere other than the gated parking lot at work or in my garage, I can move the pistol to the vault.
View Quote

Sorry to hear about the theft. As stated above, the Console Vault is a great option - I have the combo type, so no key needed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Man I hate hearing stuff like this OP. I hope you get your firearm back and the DipShit who took it gets his ass prosecuted.  

It's habit for me that when I take any of my vehicles in for any service or inspection
Or just loaning my truck to a buddy to use, I take EVERYTHING of value out.  No
use giving anybody the temptation to take something.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Sorry to hear that...

Sadly, I've learned to basically empty any vehicle whenever it is getting serviced, regardless of where it is going or how long it will be there, unless it's for emission testing and I'm able to stand right next to the guy (2 ft. away) watching the whole time.

Last thing I had stolen was my favorite Gerber multi-tool that had resided in the glove box of my truck for over 12 years without incident.  I used it the day so knew it was still in the glove box, then went to have my tires changed at the Firestone on North Druid Hills Road (near Briarcliff) and like you was tired and didn't think about it.  Went to use my multi-tool the next day and surprise it was no longer there.  I was able to find a new old stock multi-tool to replace it, but have since learned my lesson.  I blame our justice system and all those who say a life is more important than property.

I hope you are lucky and are able to get your pistol back.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You should post a fire mission in GD.

Release the hounds!
View Quote

I think I would wait for them to make it right.

Then release the hounds either way.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

You said you just got back in town.  Are you 100% certain it was there right when you took the car in to the shop?

I had a family member claim the same thing a few years ago.  Six months later he found the pistol in his safe.  He forgot he took it out a couple weeks before taking the car into the shop.  He went back and apologized to the shop and employees.

I would be careful about pointing fingers unless you can say without 1% doubt that they took the pistol.  How do you know it didn't happen before you took it in?

Either way it is a lessoned learned.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

+1

You said you just got back in town.  Are you 100% certain it was there right when you took the car in to the shop?

I had a family member claim the same thing a few years ago.  Six months later he found the pistol in his safe.  He forgot he took it out a couple weeks before taking the car into the shop.  He went back and apologized to the shop and employees.

I would be careful about pointing fingers unless you can say without 1% doubt that they took the pistol.  How do you know it didn't happen before you took it in?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Yes sir, I had played it back 100 times in my head just to be sure. But I purposefully moved it from it's usual spot into the glove box, meanwhile having to take something out of the glove box to leave on the floor so it would fit. and then locked it up (whereas it's not normally locked). When I went back to check, the item on the floorboard was still there, the glove box still locked (which once again, it would not have been had I not put the pistol inside), but no pistol inside. I don't keep guns in many places around my home and went through them all any how before I called it in.

FYI Saturday morning update. GM called me and talked and said they were looking into things. Not sure if he was just getting around to it anyway or bc ppl had started hammering their FB page with negative reviews. I certainly didn't ask for that to be done but it remains clearly evident that social media makes things happen in this day and age. Releasing the GD hounds is a last resort as he did seem like they were working on it so we'll see.

Appreciate the kind words, even as I realize I made a mistake in trusting ppl to do the right thing. Regardless of the outcome this certainly is a lesson learned, and hopefully serves as another cautionary reminder to others out there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Yes sir, I had played it back 100 times in my head just to be sure. But I purposefully moved it from it's usual spot into the glove box, meanwhile having to take something out of the glove box to leave on the floor so it would fit. and then locked it up (whereas it's not normally locked). When I went back to check, the item on the floorboard was still there, the glove box still locked (which once again, it would not have been had I not put the pistol inside), but no pistol inside. I don't keep guns in many places around my home and went through them all any how before I called it in.

FYI Saturday morning update. GM called me and talked and said they were looking into things. Not sure if he was just getting around to it anyway or bc ppl had started hammering their FB page with negative reviews. I certainly didn't ask for that to be done but it remains clearly evident that social media makes things happen in this day and age. Releasing the GD hounds is a last resort as he did seem like they were working on it so we'll see.

Appreciate the kind words, even as I realize I made a mistake in trusting ppl to do the right thing. Regardless of the outcome this certainly is a lesson learned, and hopefully serves as another cautionary reminder to others out there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Glad to hear the ball is rolling. The posts you saw were just the results of sharing it on one FB page with 2k or so members. Send it to GD and all hell will break loose! Haha

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm sorry this had to happen to you. I would have flipped out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

THE LORD SAW IT ALL.

View Quote

But the thief still has to answer to the laws of man.

gd
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

gd
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

THE LORD SAW IT ALL.

gd
Unfortunately you're incorrect. For a true believer God is the only hope in wrongs being righted.

Mans law is only for those who get caught.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#49]
"We regret this unfortunate incident happened. We have contacted the customer and will meet with him Monday to resolve this. We will conduct a full investigation to prevent any future issues. Thank you.We regret this unfortunate incident happened. We have contacted the customer and will meet with him Monday to resolve this. We will conduct a full investigation to prevent any future issues. Thank you."

Copied from Facebook.  Let us know the outcome!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Gentlemen, and to those who behave less than that.  

To be clear;

I advised the OP to take solace not based on my words as much as I would like to take the credit.

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account"
Hebrews 4:14. Thus the "Don't worry the Lord saw it comment". In all fairness, if I was unlearned in it, I might think it was funny too.  

The "solace" that I speak of was dependent in large part on the fact that he apparently wasn't getting any justice/cooperation from the dealership and/or the authorities. And he was obviously dismayed.

Yes, I believe in taking refuge in the Lord despite difficult circumstances as a source of comfort. Guilty as charged. Quite frankly, whether they caught the guy or not, that "refuge" that I speak of still applies.

I was offering a simple glimpse of consolation in the midst of something (though far from a "catastrophe"), was an apparent source of angst to the gentleman OP. There was, nor is, any need for anyone here to act silly just because you choose not to believe my words of encouragement. It's not like you are going to prove me wrong on the internet. And yes, visa versa.  

The police won't always be there to see and catch the wicked who do horrible things against you.... the attorney's, judges and Doctors may speak death over your situations, your "best friends" who you've done THE WORLD FOR will stab you in the back with two knives and be doing pull ups when you need them the most but again.... LIKE I SAID "Take Solace" and still try to be encouraged because yes...The Lord sees it all".

He is omniscient (all knowing).

Blessings to ALL of the posters.

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 1:18

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top