Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2014 5:52:18 PM EDT
I need some new shoes on my truck, who has the best price around. I'm looking for an street/all terrain type tire. P265-70-R17
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need some new shoes on my truck, who has the best price around. I'm looking for an street/all terrain type tire. P265-70-R17
View Quote

The last set I bought was from PepBoys.  They're Falken Wildpeaks.  They usually have pretty good promotions, like buy three get one free.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I put Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 on the wifes tahoe.  They have been great for the last 30k miles, still have plenty of life left.  Before those, we had Nitto Terra Grapplers, they didnt last long at all.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
James Tires in Austell had the best price by far on a set of Toyo tires for my truck last fall, have about 30K on them now and they are wearing well. So far I am very pleased with these tires, pretty aggressive tread but not too noisy for that type tire plus they are 10 ply with a better load rating than the OEM tires were. I've tried Michelins, Pirellis, Goodyear, pretty much all the big names and they all trap stones in the tread, since I live on a long gravel road that is a concern for me. These Toyos have features that prevent that, works really well too and the wet weather traction is superb.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

James Tires in Austell had the best price by far on a set of Toyo tires for my truck last fall, have about 30K on them now and they are wearing well. So far I am very pleased with these tires, pretty aggressive tread but not too noisy for that type tire plus they are 10 ply with a better load rating than the OEM tires were. I've tried Michelins, Pirellis, Goodyear, pretty much all the big names and they all trap stones in the tread, since I live on a long gravel road that is a concern for me. These Toyos have features that prevent that, works really well too and the wet weather traction is superb.
View Quote
I have a set of Goodyear wrangler hp's on it now. They suck. In the rain it's like I'm on glass. I'm looking for a more AT type tire.

I have my eye on a set of cooper discoverer at-3's I can get them for $544.00 delivered to my door. If I can get close to that from a brick and mortar store I'll do it. Any other recommendations?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
This is such a broad question with contradicting terms that it is impossible to answer.

Do you want street tires or A/T? What load rating, speed rating, lifespan, etc.? There are too many brands, models, and dealers to possibly give you the answer you want without more info. It'd be like coming here and asking where you could find a decent gun for a decent price.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a set of Goodyear wrangler hp's on it now. They suck. In the rain it's like I'm on glass. I'm looking for a more AT type tire.    I have my eye on a set of cooper discoverer at-3's I can get them for $544.00 delivered to my door. If I can get close to that from a brick and mortar store I'll do it. Any other recommendations?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a set of Goodyear wrangler hp's on it now. They suck. In the rain it's like I'm on glass. I'm looking for a more AT type tire.    I have my eye on a set of cooper discoverer at-3's I can get them for $544.00 delivered to my door. If I can get close to that from a brick and mortar store I'll do it. Any other recommendations?

Two words: price match. Ask your brick and mortar stores that carry that particular tire if they'll price match. Has worked for me multiple times at Kaufman.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Two words: price match. Ask your brick and mortar stores that carry that particular tire if they'll price match. Has worked for me multiple times at Kaufman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have. The two B&M stores that would deal were still $250 higher.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, so I just saw A/T tires. Check the price on the Yokohama Geolandar AT/S in your size from various sources. Some will price match/beat. I used Discount Tire for my last set of Geolandars, and found the service to be excellent. Because they don't mess with all the oil changes and upcharged services other "tire" places do, they're much faster at it.

The Geolandar all terrains rate about as well as BFG AT tires, but with better wear, price, and noise ratings. I found performance on a hard-driven 2WD S10 to be great. I came from Goodyear Eagle GTII's.

Now I'm in a Land Cruiser on 35" Mickey Thompsons.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This is such a broad question with contradicting terms that it is impossible to answer.

Do you want street tires or A/T? What load rating, speed rating, lifespan, etc.? There are too many brands, models, and dealers to possibly give you the answer you want without more info. It'd be like coming here and asking where you could find a decent gun for a decent price.
View Quote
I want AT's. I live on a few acres and need tires that won't leave me stuck in wet grass, it's a half ton truck that carries most stuff on a trailer. Speed rating should be 115 or so for a 4wd truck, it's has only been past 90 a couple of times. And as far as tread life goes around 50,000, any more and in my experience the tread is too hard to provide good wet weather traction and provide a smooth ride.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Frankly, those coopers will be hard to beat at that price. The geolanders are good tires, Im currently running general grabber at2 on my hd and I have 40000 miles on them and they still have a ton of tread left. Bridgestone duelers are horrible tires
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at the BFG rugged terrain.  I just put a set on last week.  
Not as aggressive as the AT/KO's, but still highway and off road friendly.
I've had 5 sets of BFG AT/KO's, so I know the difference.  The rugged terrains are not as aggressive and are not costing me 3+mpg
I think I'm gonna like them.  That said, I was gonna go with the coopers, but I needed them right now & the BFG's were in stock, otherwise I really would have gone with the cooper's.  That's based on research and input from the guys at a few tire stores.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Frankly, those coopers will be hard to beat at that price. The geolanders are good tires, Im currently running general grabber at2 on my hd and I have 40000 miles on them and they still have a ton of tread left. Bridgestone duelers are horrible tires
View Quote

I had bad luck with Bstone Duelers H/L's. Other people I know had good luck with the Revo's and other Bstone models. Just stay away from the HL's.

I have bought cheap tires several times and I have bought really good tires only a few times. If you can afford it, buy as good a tire as you can.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I just went from 265's to 305's on my Ram 2500, got them at Discount Tire. I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler over the similar BFG's. They were rated better than the BFG at wet weather traction.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Cooper tires were my second choice behind the Toyo, I couldn't get the tread I wanted in my size, this truck has 20" wheels which limited my choices considerably for an A/T type tire. The Coopers are considerably less expensive than the Toyo, I paid around $800 out the door for the Open Country EXT in LT285/55/20 but I have no regrets. The Pirelli's that came on my truck were worthless in the rain and worth even less off road, even in just wet grass. These Toyo tires have excellent traction, I drive out in the pasture often with no issues, wet or dry, and in the winter weather last February I had zero traction issues. Surprisingly they are rated as a 60K tire, I believe I will get that based on the wear from the 30K I have already put on them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Cooper A/T-3

Fantastic tires.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Have you looked on Amazon?  I found a set of Kenda Klever ATs for $378 shipped in 265/75-16. A few of the 4wd club guys I used to hang with swear by them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Have you looked on Amazon?  I found a set of Kenda Klever ATs for $378 shipped in 265/75-16. A few of the 4wd club guys I used to hang with swear by them.
View Quote
Yep,for my tire size the closet price is 20 bucks higher for a tire brand I've never heard of.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been using Discount Tires for some time now, only had one issue, but it was with a jackass personality.

Just had a road hazard replacement, 20 bucks, brand new Michelin. The tire would be 2 years old this Thanksgiving.

Rotate and balance, repair, etc all included.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep,for my tire size the closet price is 20 bucks higher for a tire brand I've never heard of.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a lot of Chinese super cheap tires on there.  If I had a commuter car that wasn't towing anything I might would give em a shot, but not on a truck.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#20]
check out www.tirerack.com.

cough\cough sometimes, wallyworld.

clown

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Sams Club has good sales.  I got BFG Rugged Terrains for what it was going to cost me to buy Kendas and have them installed.

I bought with the premium install for free sale.  Lifetime rotate, balance and road hazard(for some period of time).
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I get the best price I can find on the tires that I want and then I go to Discount Tires and they beat the price. I have even taken in prices from shady looking internet sites selling tires and they still beat the price. The site looked so shady that I felt guilty asking them to beat the price but they did. I just bought Michelin high performance tires for my Mustang and they beat the best price I could find by 200.00 dollars. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I get the best price I can find on the tires that I want and then I go to Discount Tires and they beat the price. I have even taken in prices from shady looking internet sites selling tires and they still beat the price. The site looked so shady that I felt guilty asking them to beat the price but they did. I just bought Michelin high performance tires for my Mustang and they beat the best price I could find by 200.00 dollars. Good luck.
View Quote
The price I have is from discount tire direct. I'll have to find a discount tire and see what they'll do. They don't show the exact tire on the store website, I'll stop by anyway.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The price I have is from discount tire direct. I'll have to find a discount tire and see what they'll do. They don't show the exact tire on the store website, I'll stop by anyway.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should be able to order the tires. The people at my Discount Tires are pretty nice and easy to work with. I like how they mount the tires, using the air wrench to get started and then hand torqueing them to specs. That removes some of the chance of loose lug nuts. I live in Middle Georgia and I have bought at least four sets of tires from them. They will easily beat Tire Rack prices. I have putting Yokohama tires on my truck and I really like them. They are quality tires and fairly priced. I had been using Bridgestone Dueler Revo's and they are great tires but Bridgestone has priced them crazy high. Good luck, I hope you get a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They should be able to order the tires. The people at my Discount Tires are pretty nice and easy to work with. I like how they mount the tires, using the air wrench to get started and then hand torqueing them to specs. That removes some of the chance of loose lug nuts. I live in Middle Georgia and I have bought at least four sets of tires from them. They will easily beat Tire Rack prices. I have putting Yokohama tires on my truck and I really like them. They are quality tires and fairly priced. I had been using Bridgestone Dueler Revo's and they are great tires but Bridgestone has priced them crazy high. Good luck, I hope you get a good deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sends shivers down my spine. I see piles of stripped/cross threaded lugs if this is actually the case.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Truck tires should be truck tires. Look for something with a LT (light truck) rating, not a P (passenger).

For an all terrain, BFG is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll have to check out discount tire it sounds like.  Need tires for my '05 f150, but first for the wives minivan.  3 of mine are about bald.  Would love to get a leveling kit/ small spacer in rear with wheels and 34 nittos.  Think that is going to have to wait until I have a lessor commute though or can pick up a commuter car.

Do you guys pay for rotation or take 'em back to discount tire?  Last set I bought was Firestone at's from America's service station and had them do oil changes and free rotations since I bought there.  Think they matched price at time too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I guess I will start the arguments in this thread...
First off GTFO of wal mart and same they should not be even allowed to sell the junk tires they sell
Discount Tire is great if you like to have your lugs broken off but they do sell at a ok price but may also sneak a set of blemish tires in on you.
Honestly I stay far far away from any brick and mortar tire retailer they hire mostly street monkeys at low pay who don't give a damn about you or your car and you really don't know if you are getting a quality tire or not... Also the customer service is usually horrid to say the least.
Tires is a get what you pay for in every aspect kind of thing.
Best thing to do is find a local guy with a exelent track record and deal with them.

Btw: cooper is one of the best fair priced high quality tires on the market at the moment. IMO BFG quality and longevity have dropped since the michiline buyout.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kenda has been making tires for many many years. Something else I have learned is the named manufacture is not always true it could be made by Kenda or greenball ie: maxxis tires
Have you thought about upping your size to a little taller or wider it may broaden you selection.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#30]
All my experiences with Discount Tire in Warner Robins have been outstanding.  They have the best customer service I've seen in years and best tire prices on the tires I've wanted.  When I've watched them work through thewindow in the lobby they have hand started the nuts, run them down with air wrenches using torque sticks then hand tightened to spec.  With a torque stick in there I don't see how they would be breaking many lugs off.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
First off GTFO of wal mart and same they should not be even allowed to sell the junk tires they sell
Discount Tire is great if you like to have your lugs broken off but they do sell at a ok price but may also sneak a set of blemish tires in on you.
Honestly I stay far far away from any brick and mortar tire retailer they hire mostly street monkeys at low pay who don't give a damn about you or your car and you really don't know if you are getting a quality tire or not... Also the customer service is usually horrid to say the least.
Best thing to do is find a local guy with a exelent track record and deal with them.

Btw: cooper is one of the best fair priced high quality tires on the market at the moment. IMO BFG quality and longevity have dropped since the michiline buyout.
View Quote

Walmart is pretty hard to beat warranty wise and they have quite a few brands that can be ordered for free. My two sets of liberators lasted 60k a piece and my general grabbers should last that long at least.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
All my experiences with Discount Tire in Warner Robins have been outstanding.  They have the best customer service I've seen in years and best tire prices on the tires I've wanted.  When I've watched them work through the window in the lobby they have hand started the nuts, run them down with air wrenches using torque sticks then hand tightened to spec.  With a torque stick in there I don't see how they would be breaking many lugs off.
View Quote

In the McDonough Stockbridge area they do not do that. They send cars to local shops that they have deals with to replace studs weekly. I worked at one of those local shops and we stole some of that tire business. Sounds like that Discount has a manager with some sense...
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Walmart is pretty hard to beat warranty wise and they have quite a few brands that can be ordered for free. My two sets of liberators lasted 60k a piece and my general grabbers should last that long at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tire that wal mart sells are not the some style and quality tire that is purchased form other tire dealers. They are made for wal mart to meet their price point. Many of my customers had several major issues with wal mart tires mostly bulges and tread separation.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Discount tire in douglasville gave me a price of $604.00 with lifetime balance and rotation, plus a warranty. Sounds like a go!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The tire that wal mart sells are not the some style and quality tire that is purchased form other tire dealers. They are made for wal mart to meet their price point. Many of my customers had several major issues with wal mart tires mostly bulges and tread separation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A BFG from Walmart is the exact same at tire as you get from anywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

people who dont understand this will argue this fact
I am telling you from experience it is not the same tire just like a car stereo from walmart is not the same stereo you get from a local car audio shop. they are made different to different specs for walmart...
Walmart, Sams, Costco sometimes sell tires that only they can get from the tire manufacturers. These are usually produced at lower level factories (BFG Branded produced at UNIROYAL factories, Goodyear made at KELLY etc.) And are usually older models and technologies that are "recycled" to meet a certain price point.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Walmart has tires specifically for them but if you order tires through them, they are the exact same. A BFG all terrain is the exact same whether it came from Walmart or your local tire store. I was a tle tech at one time, this is the same argument people make about guns bought through walmart, they are the same.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Update, discount tire beat the online price. They had to order the tires, three days later they called and we set up an appointment. I arrived at the agreed upon time and was immediately helped even though the store was packed. Started the paperwork and they took my keys. Truck was driven into the bay and immediately lifted in the air, tires were off and new tires were on in a matter of ten minutes. Lug nuts were started by hand, tightened by impact with a torque stick and finished by torque wrench. Took just under 20 minutes from start to finish.

The Cooper Discoverer AT-3's are a visually more aggressive pattern than most all terrain tires. They are very quiet on the highway and so far my gas mileage hasn't changed. They gripped very well in Sundays rain and did better than expected in the pasture late Sunday afternoon. I kept it in two wheel drive to test the traction and was pleasantly surprised. All in all I would recommend these tires. So far.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cooper A/T-3

Fantastic tires.
View Quote

I just bought 4 of these.265/75/16 10 ply E load range.Cosmetic blems $550-OTD.They get GREAT reviews all over...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top