Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 11:16:48 AM EDT
Feedback on either of these?  

I've been planning to dump my Kahr P9 one day and pick up a Shield.  I carry a G19, but would likely carry this occasionally, particularly when I'm concerned about possibly printing.  It could also double as a ccw for the wife, but not sure she'd carry it on her person or just leave it in her purse.  In that case another option would be the M&P 9c since aside from thickness and weight, it's basically the same size as the shield.  We already have a full size M&P for a house gun so mag compatibility is somewhat of an appeal if it ended up sitting in her purse anyway.  

Springfield has a promo going on right now (ends 10/31) for 3 free mags, but the gun itself is $100 more than the shield...  $399 vs $499 from what I've seen.  

(MFF, are we allowed to post image links to deals now?  Or do i need to retype this out and/or make people click on a link to show the same info?  - serious-)

3 mags & pouch freehttp://gearup.springfield-armory.com/Gearup.asp

I'll carry this size weapon, but would give it to my wife if she likes it.  If she doesn't, then we'd likely get her something different, possible a BUG...  P3AT, LCP, G42.

I am planning to take the wife shooting soon to let her decide what she's more comfortable carrying.  While I don't have some of these exact models it's be a good start to let her shoot my Kahr P9 and Keltec P3AT for size comparisons etc...  The full size M&P isn't practical for her to carry, but she enjoys shooting it.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the shield better because the grip is more comfortable in my hand. The XDs feels like a slightly rounded block of wood in my hand.
Plus, you can now get the shield w/o the safety if you want.

I have heard that there is a rust issue with some of the metal parts of the shield though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I did a lot of shopping and narrowed it down to the 2 you have listed. I ended up going xds 9 and couldn't be happier. It's fits great in the hand and is accurate. There's a gun and pawn store in cherokee that usually has the xds for 449.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#3]
No way on the XD.  They are a POS.  Shield or M&P9c.

I would probably say shield as my first choice but I do not own one and have only shot one a few times.

As you mentioned, let her choose if it is for her but I wouldn't let my wife buy an XD if my life depended on it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, I never get tired of the XD hate! Never understood it either....

I have a full size XD 9 and a 45. Never any issues with either one, great since day one.

I bought an XDS 9 this year for ccw and I love it! When I worked at Academy I sold quite a few of the shields and never really liked them that much, but I have not shot one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't offer any first hand experience with either, just a few observations.

I've held an XD, but never shot one.  It didn't appeal to me and I've never given it a second look.  The other thing with the XD line is, it seems there are always people trying to get rid of them.  That was one of the first things I noticed when I "friended" some of the firearms trader pages on Facebook, there are a TON of XD's for sale/trade.  More so than other popular makes of pistols (namely S&W followed by Glock).  That to me, is a clue.

Again, this is not based on personal experience with the XD's, just personal observations.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned both, shot both, and sold both.  my choice would be the m&p9c if I were looking. I'm not a glock guy by any means but after shooting a friends g42 I was very impressed. just my .02  coming from a Sig fan boy  

JCB
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I normally carry a full size M&P 9 but when dress or situation dictates smaller I carry a Shield 9. I have no first hand knowledge of the XDS but I am a fan of the Shield 9mm. You should be able to find a Shield for 375 to 400 at  a local gun store. Ft Benning PX had them for $350 a few weekends ago if you are military.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both and they are nice pistols
I carry the shield often
I never warmed up to the xd
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
shield is good to go. I prefer the feel of this to the MP9c in that the grip on the 9c is a bit too short for my liking and it feels like the gun would walk out of my hand after shots like it does with a baby glock.

Shield has a much better feel and is made in USA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I like the XDs better. People saying they're junk are just haters. The new post-recall models are fine and come with a ton of extras thanks to that promo. You can get them for $450 which makes the price difference smaller.

I prefer the grip safety on the XD to the manual safety on the SHIELD and even though they are "available," I've never seen a SHIELD with no manual safety in the wild.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top