Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 5:48:44 PM EDT
As my daughter is getting older my wife and I have been making diet changes. We do our best to eat all natural and organic. We want to avoid everything the government is putting in our food. I do have to say we feel much better than we did six months ago. What I am looking for is a Georgia farm that sells meat and vegetable to the public. Anybody know of a place ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you like wasting your money go ahead, but otherwise I think destiny organics has a farmers market in Atlanta.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been buying beef from these folks for several years. Its not much more $$$ than the crap in Kroger

BEEF!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Nature's Garden Express.  It's not cheap but it's less expensive than Whole Foods and they carry meats and produce from a number of GA farms.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
What's your location and are you wanting buy a whole or half cow? And what about pork.

Both are around $4/lb up here. But you gotta but bunch
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
IM sent
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you like wasting your money go ahead, but otherwise I think destiny organics has a farmers market in Atlanta.
View Quote

I am curious why do you say "if i like wasting my money" ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because there is absolutely no difference between conventional ag and organic ag, the only difference is the price and the chemical list. All "natural" is an even bigger crock because there aren't any guidelines and it actually has no meaning in labeling. I'm all for buying local food but organic and all natural is nothing more than snake oil to increase what something sells for. I never understood the craze for grass fed either, the whole point to steak is its marbling,  why reduce it. What exactly are you trying to avoid that was put in food by our government?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because there is absolutely no difference between conventional ag and organic ag, the only difference is the price and the chemical list. All "natural" is an even bigger crock because there aren't any guidelines and it actually has no meaning in labeling. I'm all for buying local food but organic and all natural is nothing more than snake oil to increase what something sells for. I never understood the craze for grass fed either, the whole point to steak is its marbling,  why reduce it. What exactly are you trying to avoid that was put in food by our government?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Genetically Modified Organism GMO - genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. which leads to our bodies being genetically modified why young males grow breasts and very young girls start menstruating too early.
2. Pesticides linked to disease
3. Hormones linked to obesity
4. Grain Fed - meat filled with antibiotics and abnormally enlarged meat and byproducts (milk, cheese, yogurt) causes lactose intolerance - Grass Fed is as nature intended - nutrient composition is better, no lactose intolerance from byproducts, no antibiotic resistance issues

....etc
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#10]
GMOs have no ability to modify human DNA.  The technology used to modify the plants to begin with is not present in the grown plant or the harvest itself.  Sometimes a virus is used to introduce the modification to the plant seed, but it is not a virus that uses an animal host.  Even if the virus/other tech used to modify the plant were present in what we ate it would not go around altering our DNA.  To go all biology geek technical on the subject, most of the modifications are to increase crop yield which is accomplished in nature and the lab by increasing the number of copies of the chromosomes present.  Plants work on a totally different method of evolution (GMOs and plant husbandry just speed it up) to what animals do.  You can make a case for GMOs being bad due to decreasing diversity in our food supply, but modifying us, just no.

Men/boys developing breasts is mostly due to estrogen-mimicking compounds present in soy products.  Some males are more susceptible to the effects at low dosages than others, possibly due to less overall testosterone to begin with, but it boils down to a diet issue.  Vegans and hardcore vegetarians who use soy as a protein replacement are well documented as having issues with gynecomastia and reduced sex drive.  A guy I work with (in his late 50's) decided to go mostly vegetarian a few years ago and has now started growing man boobs.  Just read the labels on processed foods, at least half have some soy derivative in them.  The increased estrogen could make girls hit puberty faster, but I haven't seen that in research literature yet.  Most attribute it to hormones in meat.

Some products are good to buy organic to reduce pesticide exposure, some there is no benefit.  It is best to read up on which instead of spending double or triple for no benefit.  Keyword is organic since that is a term regulated by the FDA but isn't as organic as I would require for the label but whatever.  Any other terms are buzzwords as far as any oversight is concerned.

Lactose intolerance is due to your genetic makeup.  At a certain age most of the world's population loses the ability to produce lactase (breaks down lactose) so milk (especially 2% 1% and skim since they contain more lactose per unit volume) and fresh milk products will give them gastrointestinal distress.  Cheese and yogurt don't because there is little to no lactose left in them.  Some people will lose the ability to produce lactase if they stop drinking milk for a long period of time.  Luckily you can take lactase in a pill form if you are intolerant and love ice cream.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Exactly some of the reasons is just what is posted above. The meat we eat come from about 5 meat processing facilities and all are in bed with the government. 95 percent of our beef is corn fed corn is useless to cattle and corn is also the primary source of ecoli. Perdue and Tyson grow genetic engendered super chickens that can't walk or fly in 48 days. Chicken from egg to ready for "harvest"'inm48 days. Look at the breast meat of current chicken... They all have Double D breasts. Look at our young ladies that eat a steady diet of chicken that's why the are growing d cups at 13 ... It's all in what you eat. I am tired of being a fat ass when portion control and exercise weren't working it came down to what I as eating. And no I do not eat fast food.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:49:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Exactly some of the reasons is just what is posted above. The meat we eat come from about 5 meat processing facilities and all are in bed with the government. 95 percent of our beef is corn fed corn is useless to cattle and corn is also the primary source of ecoli. Perdue and Tyson grow genetic engendered super chickens that can't walk or fly in 48 days. Chicken from egg to ready for "harvest"'inm48 days. Look at the breast meat of current chicken... They all have Double D breasts. Look at our young ladies that eat a steady diet of chicken that's why the are growing d cups at 13 ... It's all in what you eat. I am tired of being a fat ass when portion control and exercise weren't working it came down to what I as eating. And no I do not eat fast food.
View Quote

The only way to know for sure what you are eating is to raise or grow it yourself.
As others have stated above, the organic/ all natural label means little to nothing except for a marketing tool.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to be polite here, but quit believing everything you read on the Internet because all of the arguments posted so far are complete crap. People that aren't actually educated on these issue's are the reason the food babe makes 160k selling organic crap. People belive this crap but have no problem consuming alcohol or caffeine. Get on a soapbox if you want but if someone with 3 ag degrees, 2 ipm certificates,  and is a year short of a PhD doesn't eat organic crap, why should you? And by the way,  I managed the shelling plant for the largest organic pecan operation in the Southeast who also provides a good chunk of the organic produce and berries to the Atlanta area.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#14]
White Oak Pastures (http://www.whiteoakpastures.com/) beef has been showing up in some Publix stores lately. You can also order direct from their web site..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Check this site, OP. There you will find links to search for farms in your area. I'm with you on this subject. Can't say that everything I eat is 100% organic but I do my best to avoid things I know aren't. I believe nutrition is the best preventative to a myriad of health problems that are prevalent in Western society. I run my body on high test fuel devoid of unnecessary chemicals and can tell, and see, a big difference in my quality of life versus those I know that eat crap all the time.

Eat Wild
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want to stay away from GM foods, organic is the way. The US does not have any labeling laws requiring the disclosure of GM products. The biggest issue seen with GM products for human consumption is cross reactivity resulting in allergic/hypersensitivity responses. Here is an excerpt from a discussion response I did for one of my classes last week:

"Non-GM foods are gaining popularity and many companies are finding a niche among consumers wishing to avoid GM products and label their product GM free. Currently, one way to definitively recognize a product as non-GM is to chose foods certified “organic” by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The organic designated label is a result of foods that are not products of bioengineering. This certification can be attributed to the Organic Foods Protection Act of 1990 which requires producers to certify their product as organic based upon products produced “without the use of conventional pesticides, petroleum or sewage-sludge-based fertilizers, bioengineering or ionization radiation”.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I think some are missing the point here. I am not looking to buy everything in a supermarket that is labeled organic. I know it's marketing at its worst. I grow most of our vegetables and I can and freeze for the winter. I am more or less worried about beef chicken pork milk and eggs. If you think there is noting wrong with meat in the supermarket then that's fine keep eating it. Meanwhile I'm searching for a more healthy alternative.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1. Genetically Modified Organism GMO - genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. which leads to our bodies being genetically modified why young males grow breasts and very young girls start menstruating too early.
4. Grain Fed - meat filled with antibiotics and abnormally enlarged meat and byproducts (milk, cheese, yogurt) causes lactose intolerance - Grass Fed is as nature intended - nutrient composition is better, no lactose intolerance from byproducts, no antibiotic resistance issues

....etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

....etc

I farmed for 25 years.I was one of the first farms in Georgia certified organic in the 1980's.You just posted BS that reads like a anti-vaccine crusaders crap.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I farmed for 25 years.I was one of the first farms in Georgia certified organic in the 1980's.You just posted BS that reads like a anti-vaccine crusaders crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

....etc

My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think some are missing the point here. I am not looking to buy everything in a supermarket that is labeled organic. I know it's marketing at its worst. I grow most of our vegetables and I can and freeze for the winter. I am more or less worried about beef chicken pork milk and eggs. If you think there is noting wrong with meat in the supermarket then that's fine keep eating it. Meanwhile I'm searching for a more healthy alternative.
View Quote

I propose an alternative, instead of making will harris s gun collection larger,  why don't you buy a kids 4h or ffa show animal instead. Get it slaughtered and then you have all the meat you need for quite some time and you would have saved money and you would have helped out a child in the community.  I assume from your tractor accident you live near Atlanta but you could get the animals slaughtered in Athens.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#21]
If in Coweta, these guys are good
.http://www.180degreefarm.org/home.html
Also Peachtree City does a framers market on Sat mornings by the golfcart bridge.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't bought eggs in 2 years.... I just call mom and tell her I need a couple dozen fresh from her chicken's butts.

Although honestly I can't tell any difference in them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I like cage-free eggs solely for the fact that their shells are typically thicker and harder, so they crack easier without smashing the shell into little bits that get into the eggs.

I do NOT buy them at full price. I catch them on manager's special at Kroger or Ingles, where they'll be 99 cents for a dozen. Even "expired" eggs aren't expired. They'll be good for months in the fridge.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Nope really can't.

I go through a dozen eggs a week just myself. *shrug*

But the shells are a bit thicker I've noticed. Haven't had shell in my eggs in a long time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Fresh eggs don't give me the raging shits like store bought eggs do...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top