Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2014 1:45:24 PM EDT
http://www.paonews.net/  - weird URL but whatever works I guess

So, is anyone here in the GSDF (other than Clark Howard - LOL)?

My daughter's entrance into the Marine Corps has rekindled my desire to serve again in some capacity (as much as a slighty middle aged and somewhat pudgy guy can).

Curious. Would like to know more.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know much about it, but apparently I'm too fat to present a minimum acceptable appearance while in uniform.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have thought about doing it, but don't have the time to commit to a purely volunteer organization.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking at that website, kinda funny to see people wearing the Army uniform with dolphins. I spoke with some folks about it years ago when I was at a parade. Guy I met had dolphins and the boomer deterrent patrol pin.

I don't think you can be armed while on duty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The Georgia Department of Defense has three organizations - the Georgia Army National Guard, the Georgia Air National Guard, and the Georgia State Defense Force. The SDF is a voluntary organization and is a purely state organization (ARNG and ANG move between Federal and State status based on mission).

The SDF has a variety of missions - they participate in searches for missing people, some SDF members are professionals (medical for example) and help units as they prepare for mobilization. It is a viable alternative to serving your state and community.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
count my short ass out...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Members of the GSDF are subject to the UCMJ while on duty.

Funny thing is that it is against regulations for them to be armed, BUT they would qualify for the exceptions to the carry laws as those "in the military service of this state".
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Funny thing is that it is against regulations for them to be armed, BUT they would qualify for the exceptions to the carry laws as those "in the military service of this state".
View Quote

Only the gov't could come up with something like that. There's your reason Doug.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Only the gov't could come up with something like that. There's your reason Doug.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my reason for not doing it. I considered it for a while, but there's no way I'm rolling up into a disaster zone unarmed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in it for a little over a year and got out when I went back to school for my graduate degree. Overall, it was a good organization and filled with people who genially want to help give back to their community. They DONATE their time and energy and expect nothing in return.

Some might dislike them because they don't carry guns, but that isn't the mission of the GASDF. Let the military and law enforcement types carry the guns, it's their job. There would be a lot of training, permits and expense required for them to carry. Instead, they receive training in first aid, search and rescue, logistics and other similar missions that the National Guard units can't or aren't able to handle due to prior commitments or emergencies (i.e. deployments or natural disasters).

My question to you is, how do you give back to your community or do you just ridicule those who give a shit?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was in it for a little over a year and got out when I went back to school for my graduate degree. Overall, it was a good organization and filled with people who genially want to help give back to their community. They DONATE their time and energy and expect nothing in return.

Some might dislike them because they don't carry guns, but that isn't the mission of the GASDF. Let the military and law enforcement types carry the guns, it's their job. There would be a lot of training, permits and expense required for them to carry. Instead, they receive training in first aid, search and rescue, logistics and other similar missions that the National Guard units can't or aren't able to handle due to prior commitments or emergencies (i.e. deployments or natural disasters).

My question to you is, how do you give back to your community or do you just ridicule those who give a shit?
View Quote

Chill out man, I think you're misunderstanding. I can carry in one of those situations as a civilian if I'm involved, but not if I'm part of the SDF. That's what they're fussing about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Found that interesting........(their website)......but guess I'm too fat for 'em...............too bad.....as a former officer with backgrounds in Communications electronics, engineer operations , training , and maintenence and a list of individual skills to wierd to list.....I think I could have been an asset guess we need to start a hometown forum militia......
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I was in for  about a year back in 2006 and things may have change.  I was impressed with the people that volunteer and run the organization.
Lots of really intelligent and good folks.

On the down side I think it exists more for tradition than purpose.  it's a place for all the retired GA National Guard officers to go.  It really has no state budget and
I don't think the state officials respect and utilize it.  You train and train but will probably never use it.

If you just want to be involved in something and have a place to spend a weekend a month go for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Found that interesting........(their website)......but guess I'm too fat for 'em...............too bad.....as a former officer with backgrounds in Communications electronics, engineer operations , training , and maintenence and a list of individual skills to wierd to list.....I think I could have been an asset guess we need to start a hometown forum militia......
View Quote

Back in 2006 when I was in they took anybody that could breath on their own between 18 and 60.  I'm too fat now too, back then pretty trim though.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I worked around the SC State Defense Force when I was in the SC Army National Guard.  They helped with traffic control during a parade and one search and rescue.  Pretty nice guys, nothing to complain about.  At least one I talked to was prior service who saw combat and didn't want a commitment but still wanted to serve in some capacity.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Back in 2006 when I was in they took anybody that could breath on their own between 18 and 60.  I'm too fat now too, back then pretty trim though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was 260lbs or so and couldn't run worth a damn after 3 ankle surgeries when I talked to them and they seemed like it wouldn't be a problem. If they would just let you carry a pistol, I'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Where do I sign up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do I sign up?

Ah hell Rudy, you're gonna get us all put on another list. . .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do I sign up?

At this point we are on the list with the little boxes they check for each new thing we do.... Simpler than separate lists you understand.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

At this point we are on the list with the little boxes they check for each new thing we do.... Simpler than separate lists you understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do I sign up?

Maybe we can get the resident agents to let us know our standings on the lists. What do you say guys?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Where do I sign up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do I sign up?

I'd be in on that too!!

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Even by the most left wing liberal definition of 2A, you should be able to have a firearm in a militia.

My rights to be armed in a well organized militia are being infringed while in the GSDF?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#22]
my best friend is in the sdf and he tries constantly to get me on board.  some of it seems cool to me, but the vast majority of what he talks about *sounds* like they are basically playing dress -up.  I could be way off base there.  it also eats up a tremendous amount of his time but I think he chooses that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't know much about it, but apparently I'm too fat to present a minimum acceptable appearance while in uniform.

View Quote

You and me both. Apparently weight/strength training on a regular basis will prevent you from being a viable candidate. I can meet the requirements for LE, but fall short of meeting the standards of a volunteer organization performing traffic control.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's my reason for not doing it. I considered it for a while, but there's no way I'm rolling up into a disaster zone unarmed.
View Quote

This......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top