Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 9:26:32 PM EDT

And so did the CRO and the assistant CRO.
And the AP and 3-Gun ROs.

So it seems things can change, after all.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
still fudds...

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I knew I could count on you!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you special or will that privilege be expanded to others ?  The rules as posted today still say not allowed .They also say NO EXCEPTIONS .
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Will be a privilege available to any member who demonstrates proficiency.

Oh, pistol caliber only for now.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Pistol caliber only?  So, no machine guns, only submachine guns?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who gets to decide what constitutes proficiency?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Who do we contact for a proficiency exam.

Rich
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pistol caliber only?  So, no machine guns, only submachine guns?
View Quote

Correct, subguns only.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CRO and/or assistant CRO.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice
Now how bout those action bays wasting away up there
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice
View Quote

A committee has been formed to ponder over what to do on that hill.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for your help with all the changes, I hope they ponder to fix it
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Not a member? Good.

ETA: click!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#14]
"Was this a military demonstration? Aren't machine guns illegal?"

Civilians and especially rednecks and hillbillies can't possibly be allowed to possess them much less own them?!

Of course I am only kidding, but I am still amazed by how many law abiding gun carrying citizens believe that ALL machine guns are illegal with no way whatsoever to own one.

Hat tip to CMSHOOT for posting exactly what I was thinking - machine guns fire Rifle/heavy calibers

By the way, approximately how many people that go through all the hoops and paperwork to own a Class III weapon are NOT proficient with firearms?! I know there are probably one or two idiots that found out they could buy a machine gun so that is what they did for their first firearm, but I would be willing to bet that they are few and far between. Now granted I have seen my fair share of holes in the ceiling at indoor ranges that allow Class III, but almost all of those holes are from people the Class III owner allowed to fire their weapon while at the range, and not from the firearm owner.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Huh.

I've never been there, but River Bend seemed liked it would be a good place to get away and be around people with similar interests, without having to deal with the idiots at public ranges.  However, the blanket prohibition on MGs, even suppressed, always turned me off.

If change is afoot, maybe I should try to meet a few members....

-bob
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
They are ultra-paranoid, with reason, about shots leaving the range, and the range getting sued and having to shut down.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Your dedication, perseverance, and commitment  have paid off!  Too many on here like to criticize the club, you took on a big challenge and made it better for everyone.  Great job!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Huh.

I've never been there, but River Bend seemed liked it would be a good place to get away and be around people with similar interests, without having to deal with the idiots at public ranges.  However, the blanket prohibition on MGs, even suppressed, always turned me off.

-bob
View Quote

Suppressors have been legal at RBGC for some time now.  

We also allow folks to shoot semi-auto rifles fast now...though, just like the MGs and superguns, there is a proficiency test.
Some will balk at this, but for me I think it is more than reasonable.  I have never given anyone my trust who hasn't earned it, and would not expect anyone to trust me whose I haven't earned.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
By the way, approximately how many people that go through all the hoops and paperwork to own a Class III weapon are NOT proficient with firearms?! I know there are probably one or two idiots that found out they could buy a machine gun so that is what they did for their first firearm, but I would be willing to bet that they are few and far between. Now granted I have seen my fair share of holes in the ceiling at indoor ranges that allow Class III, but almost all of those holes are from people the Class III owner allowed to fire their weapon while at the range, and not from the firearm owner.
View Quote

I guess we are about to find out!
Based on my experience (machinegun shoots, knob creek, and southeaster regional subgun matches) more than I would have thought.  

I actually gave up shooting at one of the redhill MG shoots in order to police our end of the line.
I have been muzzled twice by jammed and still hot NFA weapons at Knob.

But you make a good point as I have been in far more dangerous moments before I gave up frequenting public ranges.
I am going to an indoor range tomorrow night to help out a lady I work with whose husband appears to be an impatient teacher...but I will not be comfortable til I am back in my car.

But back to NFA, folks seem to buy them and then treat them like plain ole semi-autos, and they're not.  Particularly the open-bolt guns need an adjustment about what constitutes safe condition.  The faster subguns will run away even on a big shooter who isn't heads up on them.

We won't have issues with owners letting guests or kids shoot their NFA weapons because that is specifically against the rules.  How will we know?  Well for the foreseeable future anyone shooting NFA at RBGC will need to have passed the proficiency course and will need to have an approved NFA RO present to operate their NFA weapons in automatic mode.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Your dedication, perseverance, and commitment  have paid off!  Too many on here like to criticize the club, you took on a big challenge and made it better for everyone.  Great job!
View Quote

I will admit to be long-involved in this issue.  But I would be completely WRONG to take credit for this.  The current RBGC board is simply getting it done.  It's a gun club.  We build ranges, and have members who shoot their guns.  If you're a member, and you like (or for that matter DON'T like) where we are going, you come to a board meeting and tell us about it!

At some point we will be out of space for more ranges, I can't wait to see what fun stuff the club does for members at that point.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We also allow folks to shoot semi-auto rifles fast now...though, just like the MGs and superguns, there is a proficiency test.
Some will balk at this, but for me I think it is more than reasonable.  I have never given anyone my trust who hasn't earned it, and would not expect anyone to trust me whose I haven't earned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh.

-bob

That's not what I meant.  I was referring to suppressed MGs in the event the noise was an issue.

As an MG owner for about 15 years now, I'm past the "jam in a mag and hold the trigger down 'till it's empty" stage.  Everything I shoot in FA is controlled bursts.  For semi-auto, the "pull the trigger as fast as you can, mall ninja style" methodology irritates me.  If I just want to make noise there are cheaper ways to do it.

-bob
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He was a member there at one point I believe
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's not what I meant.  I was referring to suppressed MGs in the event the noise was an issue.

As an MG owner for about 15 years now, I'm past the "jam in a mag and hold the trigger down 'till it's empty" stage.  Everything I shoot in FA is controlled bursts.  For semi-auto, the "pull the trigger as fast as you can, mall ninja style" methodology irritates me.  If I just want to make noise there are cheaper ways to do it.

-bob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh.

-bob

-bob

I look forward to approving your application.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice

Were rounds from the action complex escaping or were rounds from another range finding their way onto the action complex bays?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#25]
It was rounds from the action range buzzing the guys in the pits on the High power range, if I remember correctly

It takes absolutely zero firearm operational knowledge or skill to buy a NFA or any other firearm. Just money and a clean record.
Owning a 100 differrent guns does not mean you are an expert with any one of them.
Most people who own a lot of guns are not proficient.
I have instructors in class all the time tell me "I have 20 years experience with firearms"
What I see is the have 2 hours wortfh of experience 100 times.
There is a big difference
Scott
www.cemnterfiretraining.com
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh trust me, they know that Marc.

For the better part of 15 years from 92 on I was a member that was all-in, contributing as much as possible to activities there. Hell I even cut the damn grass for years on some of the ranges. It wasn't until they told me I couldn't shoot with my kids using a suppressor because "they couldn't hear me shooting too fast" and that suppressors and "those kind of guns" gave RBGC the wrong kind of image that I voted with my wallet. I found it very interesting that despite 100 signatures on a petition I put together (including life members and 1 <then> board member) the no-can rule was passed without further comment at a meeting. Ironically that same meeting saw the passage of an allowance for alcohol consumption on club property up on  shotgun hill. Of course this was phrased to include the admonition that any drinking of a gentleman's port brandy should be after shooting one's high brow skeet guns etc. Yeah, try and reconcile THAT crazy shit.

It was at that point that I and many others realized just how entrenched the Fudds were that were in control and frankly I don't see that much has changed (just yet). It's my hope to be proven wrong but the Fudd culture is so steeped and goes so far back that unless we're very discerning, we'll suffer from infighting and tyranny from our own so called gun-culture ranks.

I (and several others) then leased 100 acres of adjacent property bordering the club for belt-fed and other C3 use until we lost it to an entity that bid 10x our lease rate when it came up for renewal 5 years later. Wanna guess who did that? Yeah.

How many "Zumbo" like incidents have come to light over the last 10 years or so? How many slips of the lip have shown that we have die-hard elitist Fudds amongst our ranks hiding their feelings and working quietly to push their agendas against the black rifle crowd instead of working with us?

Really and truly if there is change in the air there then I applaud it but it'll take massive shifts in culture to prove to me that the Fudd undercurrent has been swept out once and for all.

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#27]
From looking at the posted rules the rule requiring you to show some random range nazi papers is a tax code violation and while not prosecuted . 18 USC 6103  It is a federal felony. Tax information which a form 4 is, is protected .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It takes absolutely zero firearm operational knowledge or skill to buy a NFA or any other firearm. Just money and a clean record.
Owning a 100 differrent guns does not mean you are an expert with any one of them.
Most people who own a lot of guns are not proficient.
I have instructors in class all the time tell me "I have 20 years experience with firearms"
What I see is the have 2 hours wortfh of experience 100 times.
There is a big difference
Scott
www.cemnterfiretraining.com
View Quote

Thank you Scott.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
From looking at the posted rules the rule requiring you to show some random range nazi papers is a tax code violation and while not prosecuted . 18 USC 6103  It is a federal felony. Tax information which a form 4 is, is protected .
View Quote

I suppose we could make an allowance for anyone actually concerned about that, provided that member could acquire sufficient documentation from BATFE they WOULD be OK with providing to RBGC officers to prove ownership of their legal NFA weapon. I doubt the board would have a problem with that.

Next nit please.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#30]
My feeling is that the RO's operate under the presumption that a rules violation exists in all situations, until proven otherwise. It's a private club, and members should be treated as members of a private club, not treated worse than you get treated at local indoor ranges.

I love the club, and I try to be an active member, but there's still a broad divide between the two subgroups of members. I'm glad to see rules continue to loosen up, and hope they continue to do so. Thanks for posting here Stimp.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

For the better part of 15 years from 92 on I was a member that was all-in, contributing as much as possible to activities there. Hell I even cut the damn grass for years on some of the ranges. It wasn't until they told me I couldn't shoot with my kids using a suppressor because "they couldn't hear me shooting too fast" and that suppressors and "those kind of guns" gave RBGC the wrong kind of image that I voted with my wallet. I found it very interesting that despite 100 signatures on a petition I put together (including life members and 1 <then> board member) the no-can rule was passed without further comment at a meeting. Ironically that same meeting saw the passage of an allowance for alcohol consumption on club property up on  shotgun hill. Of course this was phrased to include the admonition that any drinking of a gentleman's port brandy should be after shooting one's high brow skeet guns etc. Yeah, try and reconcile THAT crazy shit.

It was at that point that I and many others realized just how entrenched the Fudds were that were in control and frankly I don't see that much has changed (just yet). It's my hope to be proven wrong but the Fudd culture is so steeped and goes so far back that unless we're very discerning, we'll suffer from infighting and tyranny from our own so called gun-culture ranks.

I (and several others) then leased 100 acres of adjacent property bordering the club for belt-fed and other C3 use until we lost it to an entity that bid 10x our lease rate when it came up for renewal 5 years later. Wanna guess who did that? Yeah.

How many "Zumbo" like incidents have come to light over the last 10 years or so? How many slips of the lip have shown that we have die-hard elitist Fudds amongst our ranks hiding their feelings and working quietly to push their agendas against the black rifle crowd instead of working with us?

Really and truly if there is change in the air there then I applaud it but it'll take massive shifts in culture to prove to me that the Fudd undercurrent has been swept out once and for all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely understand.  The club has done strange stuff.  
6 second rule is gone.
Cans are OK.
Now subguns.

We also changed the rules to allow former members to join without having To pay the full buy in again, if you ever see enough good reasons to rejoin.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Thats what i like about pickins.
Supressors, subguns and no stupid 6 second rules to deal with !
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

6 second rule is gone.

Cans are OK.

Now subguns.

We also changed the rules to allow former members to join without having To pay the full buy in again, if you ever see enough good reasons to rejoin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

6 second rule is gone.

Cans are OK.

Now subguns.

You know Bruce, that was quite possibly the most awesome reply you could have made and it made me feel genuinely welcome.

I may very well reconsider given the circumstances.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Again...none of these are forbidden at RBGC anymore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your probably right but,
I just assume shoot at pickins its cheaper and less drama.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I suppose we could make an allowance for anyone actually concerned about that, provided that member could acquire sufficient documentation from BATFE they WOULD be OK with providing to RBGC officers to prove ownership of their legal NFA weapon. I doubt the board would have a problem with that.

Next nit please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next nit please.

You know I will give you credit for making improvements . I remember the six second rule and the suppressor rule being about as retarded as anything I have ever read .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You know I will give you credit for making improvements . I remember the six second rule and the suppressor rule being about as retarded as anything I have ever read .
View Quote

I'm not really looking for credit...but the things that folks have disliked about the club for ages are steadily being fixed, and I just want folks to know that.

The club is a non-profit entity, so we can't 'make money', but that doesn't mean we can't make more, and happier, members.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You know Bruce, that was quite possibly the most awesome reply you could have made and it made me feel genuinely welcome.

Thank you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 second rule is gone.
Cans are OK.
Now subguns.

Thank you.

If he doesn't use his buy in can he transfer it to me?  

Btw that reply defused an apparently emotional charged wound.... well done!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thank you.

View Quote

Made my week.

Peace, brother.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What is a 6 second rule?
View Quote
One shot every six seconds.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#42]
6 second rule is gone.
Cans are OK.
Now subguns.

Thank you.

Postal, these are the exact reasons why I voted with my wallet in '06. While working in the industry, I had several opportunities to voice my concerns to board members.

I would always tell them, the day RB allows suppressors, I will re-join. I'm now a member again, and took advantage of the reinstatement rule.

Since then, I have always brought at least one suppressor, and not once have I been asked to show my papers.

I hope you re-consider, and give them another shot as I have.

Rich
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So at one time that was actually an enforced rule at that range?

I can completely understand safety reasons for having shots spaced out, but wow, 6 seconds!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a 6 second rule?
One shot every six seconds.  

So at one time that was actually an enforced rule at that range?

I can completely understand safety reasons for having shots spaced out, but wow, 6 seconds!

Oh yes, the really wonky thing was it was only for rifles, as it only existed in the rifle range rules.  So you could shoot fast on the pistol bays.  It came into being as a weird allowance for practicing highpower sitting and prone rapids.  And yes, it was rigidly enforced by some.

We recently took an axe to the rule book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top