Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 5:48:17 PM EDT
I'm not even IN the damn HOA just yet and already have a hatred for them and what they stand for and do.

That is all.

Carry on as you were...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
 Tell us more.  I love HOA stories.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've lived in an HOA neighborhood for the past 6yrs. Hate it.

No one in our HOA actually lives in our neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not even IN the damn HOA just yet and already have a hatred for them and what they stand for and do.

That is all.

Carry on as you were...

View Quote

Then don't buy the house.... If you do you have only yourself to blame.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've lived in an HOA neighborhood for the past 6yrs. Hate it.

No one in our HOA actually lives in our neighborhood.
View Quote

Never understood this.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is all.

Carry on as you were...

As a single dad I have a duty and priority that necessitates me making this jump for the next 4.5 years. I can withstand that given some rural property elsewhere on which to sow my oats.

I know I'll survive but I'm praying I don't storm the HOA office in a fit of rage and take them all out.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Everyone in our HOA stopped paying dues. That fixed the problem most ricky tick.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As a single dad I have a duty and priority that necessitates me making this jump for the next 4.5 years. I can withstand that given some rural property elsewhere on which to sow my oats.

I know I'll survive but I'm praying I don't storm the HOA office in a fit of rage and take them all out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is all.

Carry on as you were...

So what I am hearing is......

Your trying not to go postal on them. Hehehe
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Chainsaw knows my story. - I installed a brown solid mahogany door in my home, the HOA says its not the right shade of brown and threatened to have a sheriff dept and handyman come take my door by force. I verbally scared the shit out of my HOA president and short sold my home 4 weeks later (2012) very easy to do then. Best decision I ever made. F those bastards in the A.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Our association charges $50.00 a year to keep the front entrance mowed and trimmed other than that they could care less what you do or build.
This is the 1st association i have had the pleasure not to deal with on anything lol.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not get elected to the board with a few buddies and vote to disband it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Chainsaw knows my story. - I installed a brown solid mahogany door in my home, the HOA says its not the right shade of brown and threatened to have a sheriff dept and handyman come take my door by force. I verbally scared the shit out of my HOA president and short sold my home 4 weeks later (2012) very easy to do then. Best decision I ever made. F those bastards in the A.
View Quote

HOA agreements and covenants are civil contracts, and the remedy is for the aggrieved party to file suit.  Only if the court issues an order specifically directing the Sheriff to do so does the SO enforce covenants and HOA agreements.  The HOA can't simply "have" the SO come out and take enforcement action.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a buddy whose dad was a doctor $$$$. He never minded his HOA until some heavy handed ahole got elected president. Well he won in the long run but it was pricey. I imagine to this day he would tell you it was worth it.  

He purchased vacant lots through out the neighborhood and loopholes EVERYTHING. drove that poor bastard president nuts. Last I knew the lots went undeveloped and everyone learned to coexist.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Why would anyone voluntarily put themself under another layer of government?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an HOA in the subdivision behind the farm that put a letter in my mailbox saying they don't care for the shooting on my farm.  I burnt it and placed the ashes in a envelope in the mailbox of the person who sent it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe some cities require neighborhoods of a certain size to have one. You need some sort of group method for maintaining entrances, keeping people from piling trash in their front yard, etc.  Many of the rules are redundant with the local codes. If it's run by pricks then you end up with a problem. Many of them don't bother anybody. I live in a neighborhood where it's $100 a year and no bother except a few rules around keeping boats/trailers etc in the front yard that I don't care for.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I believe some cities require neighborhoods of a certain size to have one. You need some sort of group method for maintaining entrances, keeping people from piling trash in their front yard, etc.  Many of the rules are redundant with the local codes. If it's run by pricks then you end up with a problem. Many of them don't bother anybody. I live in a neighborhood where it's $100 a year and no bother except a few rules around keeping boats/trailers etc in the front yard that I don't care for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? It's my property, if you don't like what I do on it, don't look.  

On edit, another reason I'll never own property that someone else can tell me what to do with it.

If it neither picks my pocket or breaks my leg.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an HOA in the subdivision behind the farm that put a letter in my mailbox saying they don't care for the shooting on my farm.  I burnt it and placed the ashes in a envelope in the mailbox of the person who sent it.
View Quote

Good job. I wonder if my neighbor will send me a letter?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ill volunteer to deliver the horses head... I'm mean letter.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I lived in a subdivision with no HOA. Never again. The place ended up looking like a trailer park without wheels. Knee high grass, cars on blocks, etc.

I live in an HOA neighborhood now. People HAVE to take care of their properties. I also have a nice pool and tennis court that I don't have to take care of. We aren't a country club, but we do have rules. When I decide to sell my house, I don't have to worry much about how shitty the house next door looks and drags down my value.

If you don't like HOAs, don't move into a hood that has one. Simple. It is a contract that you choose to enter. To each their own, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

In all fairness, you lived in a Townhome/Condo community. Your house was literally connected to your neighbors. I can see how some rules would be good.

Your door was awesome. That lady was a bit of a power whore. Her little tirade would not have held up to the rest of the HOA board.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I lived in a subdivision with no HOA. Never again. The place ended up looking like a trailer park without wheels. Knee high grass, cars on blocks, etc.

I live in an HOA neighborhood now. People HAVE to take care of their properties. I also have a nice pool and tennis court that I don't have to take care of. We aren't a country club, but we do have rules. When I decide to sell my house, I don't have to worry much about how shitty the house next door looks and drags down my value.

If you don't like HOAs, don't move into a hood that has one. Simple. It is a contract that you choose to enter. To each their own, I guess.
View Quote

Yep...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

On edit, another reason I'll never own property that someone else can tell me what to do with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. You have to abide by the codes of the city, laws of the state, etc.

When you buy a lot you have a permanent ability to dwell there per the rules. You can't tear down your house and build a restaurant or a tire shop.

There's no shortage of places in georgia without hoa or community standards. The hoa come with the land so you are consenting to it when you close.

Short of conquering an island in the middle of the ocean you are always consenting to somebody's oversight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or you do the smart thing and buy where there are no neighbors.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or do like I did and buy where the neighbors are indifferent to what you do on your property. . . like have 6 hours of full auto fire and light off many pounds of tannerite.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm fortunate to be one of two home owners in my subdivision not in the subdivision's HOA.  My house was built by a property owner who owned undeveloped plots of land in the subdivision that went undeveloped for decades (the plots of land, not the sub).  When he finally did develop them, he actually included the homes on paper in a subdivision he was building a couple miles away.  There were 5 homes total built on the plots of land, 4 of which actually physically reside on the street in the subdivision (one of which lays on the backside of my house).  The owners of the homes voluntarily opted into the HOA some years back.  Luckily the previous (1st) owner of my home did not!

So I can keep my garbage cans out by the side of my garage without issues, and I was able to build my shed without clearance from the HOA and put it where I wanted on my lot.  One day, I want to build a detached garage behind my house, and the HOA wont be able to say anything about it!  On the downside, my wife and I would very much like to be a part of the community that we live in, but we aren't allowed to attend HOA parties at the pool.  They do however have events down there occasionally for everybody and make sure we're invited to those.  My wife and I would also like to use the pool facilities, and we asked if we could pay a fee to use the pool (we even suggested we'd be willing to pay the same fee as the HOA members have to pay just to have access to the pool) but they aren't too keen on that (we got the idea from another sub that allows non-member to join their pool).

Oh well.  For most of the year, we're glad to not be involved with the neighborhood politics, back-biting, and rules that come with the HOA.  Sometimes though, it would be nice to have more involvement with the community and the events.  But after having to deal with HOA presidents trying to get me to enforce their rules in their neighborhoods as a law enforcement officer.  Ugh.  The look on people's faces when I tell them I am charged with enforcing state law and not HOA rules!  It's priceless!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#26]
HOA's are not for me. That's why I live in the outback, no rules, just right!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I got lucky with my HOA this time around.  All the current members of the board have shooting ranges in their backyard, own ATVs and drive them all around the neighborhood, and think the covenants are too restrictive and enforce them very loosely.  That could always change if the leadership changes, but I don't see it changing for a while and since I have been here he board just rotates around and everyone involved has the same mindset.  They are all even prepper-minded which isn't a bad thing if/when the SHTF.  That being said, I hope this is the last HOA I am ever part of.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Ours sucks balls! People who don't live there ride around and take photos of your shit in your driveway that violate HOA rules (my trailer with yard debris) and send you a letter saying move it. By the time the letter gets there, the trailer is gone and I am nothing but pissed off. My neighbors know me and know I am a decent guy. The HOA enforcers are douchbags who collect our money and squander it is so seemingly appears. I can't wait until the developer has no interest in the neighborhood and we can fire the HOA management. It seems like the developer and HOA management are in cahoots with each other...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#29]
My ex-gf lived in a HOA neighborhood . Most of the bitching was by a few fucks with nothing else to do but mind other peoples business .
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Paint your lawn a different color each month and see what they do.  I would troll the shit out of them if it were me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#31]
My HoA dues are $30/yr and keep the 1/2 mile of frontage mowed, weeded, and keep the lights for the signs turned on. I served as the VP for about 18 mos as part of a bloodless coup. People who were on the board previously were cuckoo. I helped take it back, but it is a thankless job. We don't send nasty letters or harass our neighbors. We do send a monthly report to Gwinnett County code enforcement office. We let GC do the heavy lifting. They've been a good partner with us, and keep things looking decent.

GCPD has been great at helping us get rid of the occasional bad eggs. The cop who used to be assigned as our COPS liaison would park his cruiser in front of suspected drug dealer's house, and do his paperwork. He even knocked on their door and told them he knew they were dealing, and he was just going to make things unpleasant for them. They didn't stick around long.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Going to lead a movement to either kick out Team Management property management or completely alter how things are being done leading up to our yearly HOA meeting in February.  I'll let you know how it goes . . .

The mail lady literally doesn't even deliver the HOA letters, she just leaves the pink "you need to pick this up slip".  She said there are at least 10 letters every month mailed out in our neighborhood of about 80 homes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Going to lead a movement to either kick out Team Management property management or completely alter how things are being done leading up to our yearly HOA meeting in February.  I'll let you know how it goes . . .

The mail lady literally doesn't even deliver the HOA letters, she just leaves the pink "you need to pick this up slip".  She said there are at least 10 letters every month mailed out in our neighborhood of about 80 homes.
View Quote

I have a friend whose neighborhood had some managed service. The service got paid by the number of citations or letters they sent out. They sent him weekly letters about his neighbor's parking near the front of his house as well as for having his trash barrel out on trash day. The neighborhood cancelled the contract.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:57:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Returning the letter after using it as a target would have made a better statement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top