Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 1:53:28 PM EDT
I as thinking of setting a pistol up for close range hunting using a Fastfire. Is anyone using a similar set up? I'd like to hear some feedback on the coupling of the micro reflex sights on a semi auto.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, but I sure would like to mill out a Glock to try one!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a fast fire 3 on my M&P.

I have shot it but honestly considering taking it off. I didn't mill the gun instead used the mount they make that replaces the rear site. Seems to slow down my target acquisition times trying to find the damn dot.

Could be a training or lack of issue.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have shot it but honestly considering taking it off. I didn't mill the gun instead used the mount they make that replaces the rear site. Seems to slow down my target acquisition times trying to find the damn dot.

View Quote

Once you get used to the dot, its fairly easy and fast.  But ya the initial getting use to it will slow you way down.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Once you get used to the dot, its fairly easy and fast.  But ya the initial getting use to it will slow you way down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In searches, I've read that same statement numerous times, but almost every case the user said they got fast after getting some trigger time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In searches, I've read that same statement numerous times, but almost every case the user said they got fast after getting some trigger time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup like everything else, practice with it and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
How well do those Fast Fires hold up when attached to the slide? Seems like it would beat them up pretty quick. I had one mounted on a Ruger MKIII but never tried one on a slide.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
So far so good. It's a tough little optic in my limited opinion

It has survived 1k rounds of 12ga so far on my mossberg 500
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Have RMRs on a G19, G34, M&P 9P Pro CORE and FN FNX 45 Tactical.

All are excellent with higher co-witnessed sights.

Trained hard with the G19 and so far it's seen 15K rds with heavy use and held up to the ape like handling.

All in all I think 10 years from now we'll be in the same position with red dots on pistols that we're in with rifles.

Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]
If anyone would let me shoot their reflex sight at the range, I would gladly pay for your range time and ammo I shoot.  I am very interested in a fn fnx tactical with a rmr but afraid to spend that much before firing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
My preference on a Semi-auto is a C-More STS

The older version never let me down and I shot a higher X count using them over Irons or a scope. Once you get used to it, it also lowers your times if the shooting course also has a time element.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Dr. Optic mini red dot on my Ruger MkIII Hunter. Seems to work pretty well. I removed the iron sights and am using just the Dr. Optic as my primary sight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Love my RMR on the Glock. Wish I could afford to put one on every gun. I don't carry always, but when I do, its that gun.

Don't do the BUIS on the rear. Just have them mill a slot in the RMR and have the RMR flush with the back. (I had both at one point)

Something like this

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I milled out a buddies glock 20 for a doc optic and he loves it.  I didn't do the drill and tapping, he did that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I've seen at least three different mounting options: one being a picatinny rail with integral rear sight dots, next being the adapter that fits in the rear sight dovetail, and the last being machining the slide.

I've seen a few P226 slides for fair prices that I could use as a donor, and I have the extra parts to complete it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone who wants can provide factory rounds and shoot any of the 4 platforms I have RMRs mounted on here in Cumming.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Careful with the 226. From what I find while researching is that there are two slides for it. The new ones are milled and those are the only ones you can use. The older ones are formed and unable to be milled.

Also the only real way to do it is how Rob showed. Mill it into the slide.

I bought a new g19 solely for this purpose. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, mine is a stainless machined slide, and the one I looked at is too. Apparently there is concern over the differences between the 9mm slide and the 40/357 slide too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top