Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 9:20:43 AM EDT
I do a fair amount of contract work for a College/University in the Atlanta area and have staff/faculty parking privileges at that location. I haven't kept up on the latest changes to GA gun law over the last 2-3 years and a quick Google search did not specifically reference the question I have.

Say I have an appointment to take one of my rifles to a gunsmith during lunch, is it lawful for me to keep the rifle stored in my SUV for a day given the following conditions?

- I have a valid GA Weapons Carry License (on my person at all times).

- Rifle is unloaded.

- No ammo compatible with said rifle is present either in the  gun, gun case or anywhere else in the vehicle.

- Rifle placed in a soft gun case that has provisions to lock the zippers thereby prohibiting access to said firearm.

- Zippers locked using a smaller luggage type pad lock.

- Gun case placed in back seat of my SUV (SUV has very dark tint from the 2nd row extending all the way to the rear of the vehicle).

Given the conditions above, it it lawful for me to keep the rifle in my vehicle in a Georgia University/college staff/faculty parking lot for the sole purpose of taking it to my gunsmith during lunch?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I do a fair amount of contract work for a College/University in the Atlanta area and have staff/faculty parking privileges at that location. I haven't kept up on the latest changes to GA gun law over the last 2-3 years and a quick Google search did not specifically reference the question I have.

Say I have an appointment to take one of my rifles to a gunsmith during lunch, is it lawful for me to keep the rifle stored in my SUV for a day given the following conditions?

- I have a valid GA Weapons Carry License (on my person at all times).
- Rifle is unloaded.
- No ammo compatible with said rifle is present either in the  gun, gun case or anywhere else in the vehicle.
- Rifle placed in a soft gun case that has provisions to lock the zippers thereby prohibiting access to said firearm.
- Zippers locked using a smaller luggage type pad lock.
- Place gun case in back seat of my SUV (SUV has very dark tint from the 2nd row extending all the way to the rear of the vehicle).

Given the conditions above, it it lawful for me to keep the rifle in my vehicle in a Georgia University/college staff/faculty parking lot for the sole purpose of taking it to my gunsmith during lunch?

View Quote

Should be fine unless the school has a rule for faculty and staff parking. I can't imagen that being the case. For what it's worth I kept a Beretta 92 in my truck when I was living in the dorms and knew a few people who had a firearm in their car.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The law doesn't specifically address a contractor but you should be good to go.  I am not a lawyer.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1:

(b) (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person's control while within a school safety zone or at a school function, or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.
(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:
(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student within a school safety zone, at a school function, or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked within a school safety zone or is in transit through a designated school safety zone;

(8) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student within a school safety zone, at a school function, or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted within a school safety zone which has been authorized by a duly authorized official or local board of education as provided by paragraph (6) of this subsection; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending a public or private elementary or secondary school;
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a professor at a college in Atlanta. We are specifically not allowed to carry a gun in our vehicles even if it is parked in the school's garage and unloaded.

Given that. What the administration doesn't know, won't hurt them. So just keep it quiet and you'll be OK.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
May I carry at technical schools and colleges?
A: Yes.  HB60 does not allow for carry at K-12 schools.  However, a person with a Georgia Weapons License may carry a firearm while dropping off or picking up a student and also may keep a firearm in a motor vehicle while parked on campus.  GCO believes HB826 does allow carry but the GA Attorney General believes otherwise.  GCO recommends that you not carry in school safety zones unless you have received permission from the school.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a professor at a college in Atlanta. We are specifically not allowed to carry a gun in our vehicles even if it is parked in the school's garage and unloaded.

Given that. What the administration doesn't know, won't hurt them. So just keep it quiet and you'll be OK.
View Quote

Are there any provision to keep the general public out of the parking area?  I recall some case law stating that an employer can't prevent an employee from doing anything that wouldn't otherwise be illegal in a company parking lot if there's nothing to stop a non-employee from entering the area.  Meaning Walmart can't prohibit their employees from having a gun in their car since I, as a customer, could.  If theres a guard, key card access, locked gate, etc. then their rules apply.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The school rents parking space in a public garage. So, I would assume that they could not prohibit me from keeping a gun in my car.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I work at a major university and one of my co-workers asked the Chief. What he was told is that we can bring a long gun as long as it is in a locked compartment but we could be arrested for bringing a pistol. My advice is to contact the school's police force and determine what they allow.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I worked at a state university and there was a strict zero tolerance policy for any weapons on campus, regardless of what the state law said. this policy was reflected in the employee handbook as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I work at a major university and one of my co-workers asked the Chief. What he was told is that we can bring a long gun as long as it is in a locked compartment but we could be arrested for bringing a pistol. My advice is to contact the school's police force and determine what they allow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The law makes no such differentiation.  Actually, this particular code section doesn't address long guns at all (unless they're "weapons designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind.")

§ 16-11-127.1.  Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Bus or other transportation furnished by a school" means a bus or other transportation furnished by a public or private elementary or secondary school.

(2) "School function" means a school function or related activity that occurs outside of a school safety zone and is for a public or private elementary or secondary school.

(3) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property or building owned by or leased to:

(A) Any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or local board of education and used for elementary or secondary education; and

(B) Any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or other institution of postsecondary education.

(4) "Weapon" means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, any other knife having a blade of two or more inches, straight-edge razor, razor blade, spring stick, knuckles, whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, blackjack, any bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon, or any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain, or any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, or any weapon of like kind, and any stun gun or taser as defined in subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-106. This paragraph excludes any of these instruments used for classroom work authorized by the teacher.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#10]
SB308 made it legal to keep firearms in a vehicle on school grounds legal by employees back in 2011, whats changed to prevent you from having a firearm in a parking garage?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top