Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2014 3:05:56 PM EDT
I am looking to take a 2 night camping trip in late October/early November in the N. GA mountains. I would like to do some light wheeling on some forest roads, and then find one of the approved (yet seculded) camping spots down in a holler next to a creek or river somewhere.

I will be taking a 2wd 4th gen 4runner, and don't mind going over some rougher stuff, but I also know my limits with 2wd and an electronic diff.

Do yall know of any particular spots on a particular forest road? I found the big download with all the maps of forest roads in the state, I just don't know of any perfect spots. Fire permitted is kind of a must.

Camp guns will be a German P226 and an AK, hate on
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking to take a 2 night camping trip in late October/early November in the N. GA mountains. I would like to do some light wheeling on some forest roads, and then find one of the approved (yet seculded) camping spots down in a holler next to a creek or river somewhere.

I will be taking a 2wd 4th gen 4runner, and don't mind going over some rougher stuff, but I also know my limits with 2wd and an electronic diff.

Do yall know of any particular spots on a particular forest road? I found the big download with all the maps of forest roads in the state, I just don't know of any perfect spots. Fire permitted is kind of a must.

View Quote

One of the better car camping places in GA is Pigeon Mtn. Theres a WMA range on the way near LaFayette
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Fs43.

Just watch out for locals
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It will also be hunting season. Wear orange and have a hunting license on you if your carrying a weapon on national forest or any piece of land that even remotely looks like it could be hunted.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
34.671271,-84.191725 Three Forks fs 58 Blue Ridge, GA 30513
34.602805,-84.150767  Jones Creek Rd, Dahlonega, GA 30533
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The side of 575
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I like going to the Chattahoochee Nat. Forest and exploring the service roads there. I use FS 28-1 off Nimblewill Church Rd to enter the forest. There are some car camping spots along Chester Creek near where the A.T. and Benton MacKaye Trails intersect.  If you hike up river a short way along the A.T./Benton MacKaye trails there is a waterfall too. There are a lot of service road splits and unmarked side roads to ride around on in that area. Google maps has a marker at the trail/creek intersections labeled "Three Forks UFSF 58 4.3". I can't give you gps coordinates right now so hopefully that will help you find it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. Those sound like some cool spots and good advice. Let me know if you think of anything else.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
cooper's creek was nice.lots of places up there.

clown
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

So. After action report. Had a hell of a time. I used K-two's GPS coordinates, which were aseomse. Came into the forest on 28-1, and went down to Jones Creek. Little did I know about the semi-sketch road down and the creek crossing down there too. I took some weird (bad, but with with the purpose of testing the 4runner and its electroninc diff) lines through the washed road down and up, and she was great. Jones Creek was a cool spot for sure, but all the spots were full by the time I made it down there Friday afternoon.

Saw this Jeep down Jones Creek Saturday, at what seemed to be a badass Jeepfest. Saw some CJ's, a BADASS Wagoneer, and a bunch of newer stuff. Yall seemed to have cool spot. So, who was it?

So on we wend up the holler to the 3 Forks mark on Google Maps. Great valley with a cool creek running right though it. Our campsite was right on the creek, about .75 miles downstream of the trail crossing. Chill spot, no crazy people. Traffic on the road because it is a "major" road to the trail crossing, but nothing problematic.

Overall was  great weekend, and I thank yall for the ideas. Pics are below

Uphill (and upstream) to the trail crossing

Highway of the forest roads: 28-1

Flexing (or trying to) on the 2WD 4Runner:

Other assorted pics:

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like fun to me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice pics, and great beer, Yuengling, a nectar of the gods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top