Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 5:14:47 PM EDT
Pvt0313 has started cub scouts. He had his first camp out over the weekend and the class on starting fires is all he can talk about. They used flint and steel to start fires. When I was in I had a kit with several different types; flint/steel, magnesium, battery/steelwool, etc. I want to make a compression type fire started with him, anywhere locally that carries short pieces of acrylic rod/tube?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#1]
There is an instructables out there on how to make one with a door hinge pin. That being said I never had good luck with it.  A fire piston is definitely a must have for coolness factor alone. I tried making 3-4 of them. Never got one that worked well so I finally broke down and bought one (actually 3) from going gear in Smyrna.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is an instructables out there on how to make one with a door hinge pin. That being said I never had good luck with it.  A fire piston is definitely a must have for coolness factor alone. I tried making 3-4 of them. Never got one that worked well so I finally broke down and bought one (actually 3) from going gear in Smyrna.
View Quote
I figured it'd be tough. The guy on YouTube with the clear one makes it look easy.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You will probably have more patients and skill at it than I and it was a fun project. Just not a successful one....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You will probably have more patients and skill at it than I and it was a fun project. Just not a successful one....
View Quote

I didn't know either of you were doctors.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You want a BlastMatch and if you search around you can find them for as low as $14. I have one in every bag I have from EDC to full BOB I am never coming back. They always work, are completely self contained IE nothing to lose or having to have a knife to use. They can even be used one handed. Take along a small zip lock baggie or Altoids box full of Vaseline soaked cotton balls so rain and wet wood are never a problem either! Once you have used one you will never go back to flint or other strikers. It also rotates the rod automatically each time you use it so it wears evenly.

Plus he will be the coolest Cubby at the next meeting!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You want a BlastMatch and if you search around you can find them for as low as $14. I have one in every bag I have from EDC to full BOB I am never coming back. They always work, are completely self contained IE nothing to lose or having to have a knife to use. They can even be used one handed. Take along a small zip lock baggie or Altoids box full of Vaseline soaked cotton balls so rain and wet wood are never a problem either! Once you have used one you will never go back to flint or other strikers. It also rotates the rod automatically each time you use it so it wears evenly.

Plus he will be the coolest Cubby at the next meeting!
View Quote
Yep, blastmatches are the shit, he'll have multiple different methods to start a fire. Plus, I can't build a blast match

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I buy 100 packs of butane lighters from sams club for $12. All of those items are gadgets and every bit as modern as a lighter.

I think learning truly primitive fire starting from tools you find would be beneficial but probably not the best use of time / effort.

Many of the modem firestarters are bulkier, slower, heavier, and more likely to fail than a quartet of mini lighters.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I buy 100 packs of butane lighters from sams club for $12. All of those items are gadgets and every bit as modern as a lighter.

I think learning truly primitive fire starting from tools you find would be beneficial but probably not the best use of time / effort.

Many of them modem firestarters are bulkier, slower, heavier, and more likely to fail than a quartet of mini lighters.
View Quote

This guy....doesn't get it.

I start the camp fires first. Then we play with fire startes.

I made fire with a chunk of ice and a pipe, while ice fishing in northern Sweden.  You can't do that with a bic.... (well you can....But it isn't as much fun! )
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I made fire with a chunk of ice and a pipe, while ice fishing in northern Sweden.  You can't do that with a bic.... (well you can....But it isn't as much fun! )
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Many of them modem firestarters are bulkier, slower, heavier, and more likely to fail than a quartet of mini lighters.

He will have bic, wind proof and every kind of fire starter I can think of. I'm doing this as a father son project.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Many of the modem firestarters are bulkier, slower, heavier, and more likely to fail than a quartet of mini lighters.
View Quote

Just you didn't look at the link, a BlastMatch is not bulky, its just slightly larger then a Bic Lighter. It doesn't need or have any fuel or butane. So it also never runs out of butane. BlastMatch also doesn't leak butane if the trigger gets accidentally depressed against something and goes empty. Its doesn't have a flint striker that can be DOA the first time you try to use it or stop working the third time you use it. BlastMatch can be run over by your vehicle and still work, I have seen to many busted Bic lighters to trust my life or family members to a Bic Lighter.

Lastly there is no Sam's Club at the 200 mile marker on the AT when you can no longer flick your Bic! When it dies and you don't have anything else convenient, there better be a BlastMatch in ones pack.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at True Prep , That have a few fire starters
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

and/or GoingGear.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

and/or GoingGear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and/or GoingGear.

I think I have every single fire starter the two of these stores sell.

Both are great resources to have locally
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pvt0313 has started cub scouts. He had his first camp out over the weekend and the class on starting fires is all he can talk about. They used flint and steel to start fires. When I was in I had a kit with several different types; flint/steel, magnesium, battery/steelwool, etc. I want to make a compression type fire started with him, anywhere locally that carries short pieces of acrylic rod/tube?
View Quote

To answer the original question, McMaster Carr has everything you would need to build your fire starter. Doubt you could do it for under a buck like the you tube guy claims.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
To answer the original question, McMaster Carr has everything you would need to build your fire starter. Doubt you could do it for under a buck like the you tube guy claims.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to derail my own thread, do you happen to have the equipment to bend stainless steel grate?

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not to derail my own thread, do you happen to have the equipment to bend stainless steel grate?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have anything to bend grate with but I know several people that do.  PM me what you have or need, I know I can make it happen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Ever tried using the lint from your dryer as a starter?
I have several zip locs full stashed in trucks, car, hiking/hunting packs
Its free, lightweight and works pretty well
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sure have. I mix it with wax and fill fiber egg cartons with it. I've also dipped pine combs in it. Both work well.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sure have. I mix it with wax and fill fiber egg cartons with it. I've also dipped pine combs in it. Both work well.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use candle wax in the mix to make long lasting water proof.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned something similar in scouts, take a small tin, like for tuna or cat food. Have cardboard torn up andforming rings on the inside with lint and wax, top it off with a wick and its a good firestarter in shitty weather. Phillmont scout ranch sells a similar design, but instead of a tin it used a cupcake paper wrapper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top