Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 6:00:25 PM EDT
Hancock County Sheriff's Department: Two .45 cal pistols missing Muscogee County Sheriff's Office: M-16 stolen during a burglary of an officer's home Sparta Police Department: .45 cal pistol stolen during a burglary of an officer's home in 2002. Another .45 caliber pistol went missing in January 2014. Department terminated from program. Tallapoosa Police Department: Unable to account for three .45 cal pistols issued to a now deceased officer. Lithonia Police Department: Missing M-14 rifle Hall County Sheriff's Office: Missing M-14 rifle. Weapon was found in ten months later. Georgia Department of Corrections: Sold a military-owned Humvee. It was later recovered and transferred to another department. Source: Georgia Department of Public Safety.....

Why in the hell was a single officer at the  Tallapoosa Police Department issued THREE 45 cal pistols..??

Some of this shit defies logic.

td

Link to complete story...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Lack of responsibility and lack of accountability, pretty much sums up my opinion on this subject.

ETA: Being in the public safety sector, they have a responsibility of holding themselves to a higher standard and doing it better than the next. Failure should lead to consequences and then to solutions realistic enough to remedy said problems.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Bet the guy that thought he bought a hummer was upset!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure he got his money back
There are some vehicles that can be sold after they've been maintained for the required time and unfortunately HMMWV's are not one of those vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Wish I coulda left Marietta with my issued M14!  No dice......
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are some vehicles that can be sold after they've been maintained for the required time and unfortunately HMMWV's are not one of those vehicles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.... He didn't want the money. He wanted the HMMWV I'm sure...

I blame AMC for the hummer problem. Seems they made a condition of supplying them that they would not be sold as surplus. The bastards.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I blame AMC for the hummer problem. Seems they made a condition of supplying them that they would not be sold as surplus. The bastards.
View Quote

Yeah whatever it was sure made hummers expensive. There's tons of them out there that can be bought and sold along with parts if you're enthusiastic enough to build your own. I know I've accumulated a lot of parts over the last couple years.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Why in the hell was a single officer at the  Tallapoosa Police Department issued THREE 45 cal pistols..??

Some of this shit defies logic.

td

Link to complete story...
View Quote

Oh, it can be worse, much worse.  The Clay Country, AL sherrifs office lost a helicopter they got under an excess property program.  A whole helicopter.  And a milling machine, but at least you could load that up in a pickup.

In all fairness the excess property program is often viewed as one step from the junkyard.  We got a nice brush truck built on a duce and a half chasis from the state and  burned up the engine (as in flames under the hood.)  We were low priority for a replacement from the state, so we got another duce and a half, and transfered the body.  AFAIK, it's still running today. Dragged the old chasis back in the woods, intending for the state to tell us what to do with it.  15 years latter there are trees growing through it, and someone wants it to be accounted for. and returned to the state for disposal.  last I heard, we torched it up and offered to haul it back,  but it seemed like the torch job was enough to ensure it couldn't be put back together.  No one has ever asked about the emergency generator we have at the fire house (mainly to use as a shelter in an ice storm or other evacuation.)

The military excess property program works very well for VFDs, but property management can suffer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]
if you have ever dealt with the Vidalia police dept. you would totally understand, when i got my property back, they tried to give me someones 870 shotgun. they argued that it was mine, the property clerk had to get some other asshat involved, the same guy that "had a letter from my wife saying she wanted to prosecute me". a letter that they could never produce and was a shock to my wife and Doug King. so yeah, i can see how the police could loose weapons
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
before the DRMO system was automated it was AMAZING the shit you could get with a portable typewriter and a stack of 1348-1's
Wonder what the statute of limitations is on that............???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top