Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2014 2:38:00 AM EDT
Out here in the land of fruits and nuts and just had my first earth quake!

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=6123f2003b3068a2&hl=en&gl=US&source=web

Not that fun considering I am on the 25th floor!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't imagine being on the 25th floor. I would scream like a girl.

I was in DC when they had their earthquake in 2011. I was standing on a solid marble [ground] floor, and it felt like I was standing on a waterbed. Crazy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't feel anything then again I'm staying down in San Jose and was passed the F out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I've felt two in Ga. One when I was about 5, another when I was in my teens. They were little tremors, not full blown quakes, but it was still weird as hell having the earth move under your feet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't feel anything then again I'm staying down in San Jose and was passed the F out.
View Quote

I am at the moscone center for vmworld, and I felt it!

Lasted a good 30 seconds after I woke up
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Weird stuff. I was in the chow hall at Subic Bay RP in 1991 and felt one. It was a helluva earthquake at the epicenter (Baguio City), but at Subic it was just a lot of swaying.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
There was a small quake when I was at 29 Stumps, we were directing live fire during a CAX (Combined Arms eXercise) and all these rocks starting falling down on us. At first I thought one of the PFCs or LCPLs was goofing around but then the ground got all shaky. The strange part is how things get completely still right after and if the exercise wasn't going on, I bet it would have been eerily quiet right after it stopped also. Its like everything had to check to make sure its back to normal before life can continue on, spooky.

Two years ago, the dogs start going nuts right before going to bed about a half hour after midnight. Then there is a loud almost indescribably noise with a simultaneous jerk, then all the alarms and sirens start going off. Find out the next morning that the cabin is a thousand yards from the epicenter of an earthquake. Others farther away said there was some shaking, but all I felt was a quick shuddering jerk.

My father slept through the big one they had in Tennessee 20 or 30 years ago. He woke up in the morning and called down to the desk and said somebody must have broken into his room during the night and vandalized it (it was before he had his coffee and he wasn't thinking). The clerk told him there had been an earthquake and many of the guests had reported room damage. Lamps were on the floor, pedestal TV turned over, and so no, he said it looked like some Frat Boys trashed his room.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There was a small quake when I was at 29 Stumps, we were directing live fire during a CAX (Combined Arms eXercise) and all these rocks starting falling down on us. At first I thought one of the PFCs or LCPLs was goofing around but then the ground got all shaky. The strange part is how things get completely still right after and if the exercise wasn't going on, I bet it would have been eerily quiet right after it stopped also. Its like everything had to check to make sure its back to normal before life can continue on, spooky.

Two years ago, the dogs start going nuts right before going to bed about a half hour after midnight. Then there is a loud almost indescribably noise with a simultaneous jerk, then all the alarms and sirens start going off. Find out the next morning that the cabin is a thousand yards from the epicenter of an earthquake. Others farther away said there was some shaking, but all I felt was a quick shuddering jerk.

My father slept through the big one they had in Tennessee 20 or 30 years ago. He woke up in the morning and called down to the desk and said somebody must have broken into his room during the night and vandalized it (it was before he had his coffee and he wasn't thinking). The clerk told him there had been an earthquake and many of the guests had reported room damage. Lamps were on the floor, pedestal TV turned over, and so no, he said it looked like some Frat Boys trashed his room.
View Quote
The one at the stumps, was it the early 90's ?

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really? where at in the state were you, there in the Macon area?

Did you feel the one that happened recently that people felt in Grey and that area?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've felt two in Ga. One when I was about 5, another when I was in my teens. They were little tremors, not full blown quakes, but it was still weird as hell having the earth move under your feet.

Really? where at in the state were you, there in the Macon area?

Did you feel the one that happened recently that people felt in Grey and that area?

Both in North macon. Didn't feel the one in Grey. There are tremors every few years in Ga, usually only reported on local news. We have a non active fault line running right through the state. If you haven't already, google it. If it ever becomes active we are screwed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to dig up my photos and look at the dates on them as they were in the early to mid 80's. Yes photos, nobody knew what digital or a Jpeg was back then. There were decent quakes out there both times I was out there. They were 4 or 5 on the Richter Scale. Some of the guys from big cities had never seen a real mountain before much less touched down inside a dormant volcano cone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Now if you had some trip wire with you, you could have secured your belongings.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Now if you had some trip wire with you, you could have secured your belongings.
View Quote

You know I actually drive by your house the other day with some fig trees in my car. I actually thought about stopping by but was already an hour late to get home. And you were probably working....

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I've felt two since living in my current house in NE Cobb, both times it was about like a train passing by, maybe slightly more vibration.  It was enough to wake my ex and I up one time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've felt two since living in my current house in NE Cobb, both times it was about like a train passing by, maybe slightly more vibration.  It was enough to wake my ex and I up one time.
View Quote

How long ago?  My experiences were years ago, just curious how often these occur in Ga.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How long ago?  My experiences were years ago, just curious how often these occur in Ga.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The one that woke us up was probably the 4.9 in Ft. Payne, AL in 2003.  I think we felt a slight bit from the 2011 Virginia earthquake.  I know at least one was since I had a smart phone, because I was looking up information on it immediately afterwards.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you feel the aftershock last night?  I'm on the 24th floor near union square and I slept right through it.  Walking around the Moscone center all day though will wear you out!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Nope didn't feel the after shock.

Done lots of waking and yes completely worn out. Are you hear for VMworld too?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, sat in on quite a few session yesterday. A few were duds without much technical content but also saw some good ones. Monster VM was good.

Did you get into any of the hands on labs?  I registered to late for em
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I was in the monster VM too!

I have sessions starting right after the morning same pitch until 6 every day.  Started Sunday at 10 for TAM day.

I would mind winning that McClaran though!!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL, looks like we have a few common interests!  They are giving away a tesla too, sure would be nice.

Let me know if you wanna grab lunch and talk tech.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I ate my boxed lunch in the back of a session yesterday.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I feel ya.   Perhaps we will be in some of the same sessions today, look for the guy in the black knight armament polo, that'll be me!

Going to the dell party tonight also at oola.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
PM sent
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Replied
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, I haven't popped in here in awhile. I was in SF near Moscone for that as well. Wife freaked the hell out and ran around the room. She couldn't fall back asleep afterwards. Long show, I was glad to be flying home on Thurs.

Hope you guys learned something. I gave up on the sessions a few years ago. Real technical content has dropped significantly over the last few years. Mostly sales/marketing now. I just go for the PTAB and sponsor/networking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top