Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2014 6:14:18 PM EDT
Just like the title says;

We need some slave labor volunteers to help get the range ready for the Oct 3-5 HTF shoot/swap meet/meet and greet.  If we get 7-10 people I think it will be a pretty easy exercise.

Mostly what we need are chainsaws, machetes, bush axes, and people willing to run them for 3 or 4 hours. We are going to widen the range from top to bottom while cleaning and clearing the underbrush from what is there.  Its nothing too heavy, most trees being 6-8" diameter or less.   Anyone that can bring equipment like a tractor or skid steer would be welcomed and showered with praises. I will try and have a mini X there to rebuild the dirt berms and dig a hole for us to burn the paper trash on the range in.  If we get finished early we may do a little shooting or drink a few beers, who knows.

Anyone who wants to help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Schedule permitting (Saturdays are usually open) I will be there with a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fellas. Hopefully there will be more interest in the next couple weeks.

Always need help with beer cleanup.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I will try to make it.  If I do I will bring my chainsaw.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a little Weber charcoal grill I can bring along if I make it for the whole day. If someone brings stuff to make some burgers we can have us a quick cheap and good lunch.

View Quote

Sounds good. My gas grill will be there already but bring the weber if you want.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry we will be on our way back from Destin Fl.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry we will be on our way back from Destin Fl.
View Quote

No problem. I figure its mostly going to be locals from close by that come. It's not that much work really.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Dammit, I'll be in Birmingham that weekend

Want to go put some trees on the ground Saturday this week?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Sure. I'll have the kids but can probably get the SO to watch them while we do. Shouldn't take too long.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sure. I'll have the kids but can probably get the SO to watch them while we do. Shouldn't take too long.
View Quote

My saw is itching to run.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I can be there after I get out of the woods. That's opening weekend of bow season, so I'll be hunting Saturday and Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I can bring a chainsaw
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can bring a chainsaw
View Quote

Please do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can be there after I get out of the woods. That's opening weekend of bow season, so I'll be hunting Saturday and Sunday morning.
View Quote

That's fine. We're not gonna get started until about noon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Today went well. JP and myself dropped about 20 good sized trees.  It was hotter than 900 hells out there so we only worked until lunch.  When we have a crowd most of our time will be spent limbing out and cutting up the trees we cut and moving trash to the burn pit.  I should have a mini X by then to rebuild the dirt berms.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That definitely opened it up some.
View Quote

We were just about halfway in when he took that pic

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

40' wide at the firing line. Will be about 50' at the 25 and 50yd berms, and roughly 20 down to the 100yd. I don't think firewood will be an issue.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the pic you took. We made a lot more progress than I thought we would.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought I may have taken one when we quit, but looks like I didn't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Alright guys, sign up for pain and suffering; we need some strong backs. JP and myself have already done 1/3 of the work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's next on the to-do list?

I think I'm off this Saturday. Have to check later in the week to make sure.

I'm working Sunday. Well more accurately, I'll be AT work Sunday.

So if I'm free Saturday I'll come and help if ya'll will be working.

View Quote

Don't think I'll be out there Saturday, but if you want to go one afternoon, say wed, I'd be willing to go start some cleanup
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Alright guys, sign up for pain and suffering; we need some strong backs. JP and myself have already done 1/3 of the work.
View Quote

Anything that can be done during the week? I have a chainsaw good for limbing and bucking as well as taking down trees. I also know what I am doing and can usually drop a tree plus or minus 12 inches of where I want it. I use the 70 degree angle cut and have the tree fall on a hinge instead of 35 to 45 degree notches where one loses control and the weight of the tree can take over instead of the action of the cut.. Trees to drop could be marked for falling as well as any already down could be bucked. Let me know if that works.

I will see if I can work being available on a Saturday or Sunday also.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Anything that can be done during the week? I have a chainsaw good for limbing and bucking as well as taking down trees. I also know what I am doing and can usually drop a tree plus or minus 12 inches of where I want it. I use the 70 degree angle cut and have the tree fall on a hinge instead of 35 to 45 degree notches where one loses control and the weight of the tree can take over instead of the action of the cut.. Trees to drop could be marked for falling as well as any already down could be bucked. Let me know if that works.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to worry about where a tree drops out there. All woods, can't hurt much. JP and myself have felled a tree or two as well.
I'll be at the beach this weekend but next week and weekend will be out there. You're welcome to come anytime you want. PM me for more info.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an idea, if it's ok with southern, since I'm so close, and we have already dropped the big trees, how about if anyone is available before the set date one afternoon during the week, I can see about getting together and we could do some bucking and stacking.   I figure at this point, any progress is going to be good and help make things easier n the long run
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have an idea, if it's ok with southern, since I'm so close, and we have already dropped the big trees, how about if anyone is available before the set date one afternoon during the week, I can see about getting together and we could do some bucking and stacking.   I figure at this point, any progress is going to be good and help make things easier n the long run
View Quote

I'll help pretty much any weekend as long as I don't have something going on, but weekdays are tough.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know you don't even have to ask.

Any work pre HTF is a good idea. I'll be out there all next week in the afternoons. Just did some reading and I'll be upgrading my saw for maximum carnage.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'll help pretty much any weekend as long as I don't have something going on, but weekdays are tough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show up for the 14th if you can. I will be out there any chance I can chopping and splitting wood, stacking, cutting grass, and grading the range.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish I lived closer and could come out and help you guys out before the event. If I come up with an excuse to get that way one weekend I'd be glad to come by and get my hands dirty.

<accidentally hit edit again instead of quote - makeitflyfast>

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Show up for the 14th if you can. I will be out there any chance I can chopping and splitting wood, stacking, cutting grass, and grading the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be there after lunch on the 14th regardless.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wish I lived closer and could come out and help you guys out before the event. If I come up with an excuse to get that way one weekend I'd be glad to come by and get my hands dirty.
View Quote

Don't feel bad if you can't. We knew it was mostly going to be locals for the pre HTF work days. Of course you're welcome if you do want to come.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Depending on pointiness of elbows, I have a spare room
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well come on!

Just give us a few days heads up if you do so us locals can try a little harder to get out there as well. Since you're coming from such a ways, a little extra effort will be made so we can take advantage of the extra help that normally isn't there.

Bring yourself a sleeping bag and tent What am I saying, I'm sure you could crash with one of us if you accidentally were to partake in excess of adult beverages.

Where exactly is your area of the state that you're from?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well come on!

Just give us a few days heads up if you do so us locals can try a little harder to get out there as well. Since you're coming from such a ways, a little extra effort will be made so we can take advantage of the extra help that normally isn't there.

Bring yourself a sleeping bag and tent What am I saying, I'm sure you could crash with one of us if you accidentally were to partake in excess of adult beverages.

Where exactly is your area of the state that you're from?

We have a spare bedroom with two beds.  Feel free to crash.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I will be OOT that weekend.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I will be OOT that weekend.
View Quote

No biggie. Just make sure you make it for the HTF meet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I have saved up some 25lb drums that would make decent reactive targets. .22 LR bounces off pretty decent at 15+ yds  not sure what 50 or 100 would be like
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have saved up some 25lb drums that would make decent reactive targets. .22 LR bounces off pretty decent at 15+ yds  not sure what 50 or 100 would be like
View Quote

Feel free to bring any and all target materials for the HTF.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#42]
I spent two and a half hours out at the range yesterday and have gotten 90% of the trees on the ground that need to be.  Looks like our work day will only involve trash pickup, cutting the trees into smaller pieces to take to the fire pit, and doing some minor brush clearing.  I will probably go back out there in the next week a couple times and get more of it done as time allows.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Middle GA ? Where is this at guys ???
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Middle GA ? Where is this at guys ???
View Quote

15mins or so from Macon.  Little past Lizella.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I never even knew we had a group here !!!!! I'm a Maconite
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, there are at least 10  that I can think of within 45 minutes of Macon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm suspicious of anyone who actually claims Macon.   I grew up in Bloomfield
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keep up with the HTF, we do stuff pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did you not get shot ???? unless it was 200 years ago
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been shot at twice, and who knows how many times I've had firearms pointed at me, I quit counting when I was 18
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top