Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 2:18:31 AM EDT
This question has probably been beaten to death in the main Forums: What Weapons Light To Use

but I would like to narrow it down to lights that take only the CR123 battery. Would like to find a good light that is ready to mount IE comes with a built in Picatinny mount or would not be overly costly to mount. Would like to also find a good hand held flashlight that also takes CR123 batteries as all my pistol lasers or combos take that battery as does my one rifle laser/light combo. This would allow me to only stock one battery. Idea is also not to break the bank but still looking for a reliable light.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Get an Insight Tech/Streamlight M3 light and mount at the 12 o'clock position. Brand new you can pick them up for $89 and less. I've bought used ones for $60. Takes 2 CR123 batteries.

The Insight Tech TLR-1 can also be found for under $100. One just sold in the EE for $65. Same basic layout as the M3, but it's aluminum vs the M3's polymer construction.

For handhelds I'm partial to the Surefire 6P LED lights. For me, just the right balance between size and brightness. Also takes 2 CR123, but gonna cost ya more than the M3 light I mentioned. Good news is Surefire lights are like Craftsman tools.....warrantied for life.  If you cruise around, you can pick up some great deals used on these. Another option is the Surfire Nitrolon light......polymer instead of aluminum, just as bright, same features and a helluva lot less.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm happy with my TLR-1s and my X300.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Surefire X300 on my DDM4  Great light.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
X300 for me. But those new Inforce lights got me hot under the collar.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

X300 for me. But those new Inforce lights got me hot under the collar.
View Quote
The Wml?

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Inforce on my SIG 556R. It's a nice light.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Any reason you don't run what you recommend? Or am I reading the numbers/names wrong?

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

On the AR would you recommend the WMLx over the WML if Dollars didn't matter? It just adds an ounce and more then doubles the light output.

Another question would be since no light I can afford is going to create daylight at 200 Meters and the light is going to be for CQC  5 to 30 Meters, is there any such thing as too much illumination?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On the AR would you recommend the WMLx over the WML if Dollars didn't matter? It just adds an ounce and more then doubles the light output.

Another question would be since no light I can afford is going to create daylight at 200 Meters and the light is going to be for CQC  5 to 30 Meters, is there any such thing as too much illumination?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have the CQB expierience of Shep and several others here but I haven take  several low/no light classes. In side I would stick with a low out put white light. Too many lumens inside is just as bad as none (in my opinion).  The older LEDs use to bounce of smoke and fog. I use a incandescent bulb in my weapon lights and a led in my handheld.

I have a 900 lumen nitecore that could be mounted on a night medium range platform. It lights up the world at 100+ yards.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:07:26 AM EDT
[#10]
From reading the opening post, the OP wasn't wanting to get very expensive, so I was recommending units that I have used and trust but weren't near as expensive as what I'm running now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been very happy w/ my x300. The lens started wiggling after much abuse from being at the 12 on my SBR and many pistol rounds prior, surefire fixed it no questions asked.

I'm debating trying out the inforce wml though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:11:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I run the Surefire M600C on my light wieght AR.  That rifle with optic and light comes in at 6 pounds 2 ounces.  The light is very bright and throws a tremendous distance.

I had a TLR-1 aying in the safe when I built my 300 BO upper.  I like the TLR's but they dont throw light down range as good as the scout.  There is a big difference in cost though.  I'll continue to run the TLR on the BO.  

Streamlight has a rilfe version of the TLR which I cant remember the name of right now.  Its about 150.00 and I here it throws light just as good if not better than the Scout which if bought new will cost you about 250.00.

As far as mounting options, the TLR's come reading to mount on a picatiny rail.  Same goes for the Scout.  The Scout also has numerous custom mounting options from Larue Tactical, Gear Sector and Arms just to name a few.

Buy once, Cry once...Thats my motto.  The Surefire is an awesome light.  Expensive, yes but worth it.  Surefire hasd awesome customer service and you cant beat the warranty.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

From reading the opening post, the OP wasn't wanting to get very expensive, so I was recommending units that I have used and trust but weren't near as expensive as what I'm running now.
View Quote
Sounds good. Nice to have options for less expensive gear, thanks!

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#14]
OK, here is where I am at.

Picked up a Streamlight ProTac 2L for my pocket/carry light (runs off two CR123s) so that part is solved.

Now for the weapon light, have it down to these three:

Streamlight TLR-1 HL $149.99  630Lu
Inforce WML at $132.00  200Lu
Inforce WMLx at $186.99  500Lu

Prices are at the same Internet Store just to keep one part of the equation constant. All take the CR123 so that fits. Is the $50 difference between the two Inforce units worth it for more then doubling the Lumens? The WMLx only weights one ounce more then the base WML. Just based off Lumens, the TRL looks like the most bang for the buck and all my pistol lights are TRL-somethings so I know them well. Both the TRL-1 HL and WMLx basically weight the same.

Comments?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:02:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my ProTac 2L and I really liked my TLR-1s.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#16]
For primarily indoors work the 200 lumens is all you need. For outdoor work, the 500 lumens is nice.

For indoors, there is such a thing as too much light, although 500 lumens is workable. Too much light and you get splash back.....your own light reflecting off of pictures, mirrors, appliances, even white painted walls.

I prefer the rocker switch of the TLR over the push-button on the Inforce, but that's cuz I've been using rocker-type lights for 15 years or so......it's what I'm used to. Play with them both and see what works for you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#17]
All of my pistols that have a rail have a TLR on them so I do like the Momentary or Stay On function of their switch.

It would be nice if the two higher Lumen rated lights had a Lo/Hi setting feature but I don't see that anywhere in the literature.

And unlike an Officer's Duty Weapon Light, I would have home field advantage if the light was being used indoors versus an Officer having to clear an unknown location in a dark building so Light Bloom would be less of an issue for me allowing me to use the high rating in case its needed outdoors. Does that kind of make sense?

Or should I split the difference and run a standard TLR-1 at 300 Lumens? Its plenty of light indoors and has not let me down when outside at night (but those were pistol engagement ranges if I would have had to shoot), turned out to be two raccoons instead of trespassers. Think I will compare my TLR-2 (300 Lu) with my TLR-4 (125 Lu) tonight both inside and outdoors. As the saying goes, sometimes more is not necessarily better its just more. NOTE: exception to the rule, never applies to Horsepower, Money, or Magazine capacity!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All of my pistols that have a rail have a TLR on them so I do like the Momentary or Stay On function of their switch.

It would be nice if the two higher Lumen rated lights had a Lo/Hi setting feature but I don't see that anywhere in the literature.

And unlike an Officer's Duty Weapon Light, I would have home field advantage if the light was being used indoors versus an Officer having to clear an unknown location in a dark building so Light Bloom would be less of an issue for me allowing me to use the high rating in case its needed outdoors. Does that kind of make sense?

Or should I split the difference and run a standard TLR-1 at 300 Lumens? Its plenty of light indoors and has not let me down when outside at night (but those were pistol engagement ranges if I would have had to shoot), turned out to be two raccoons instead of trespassers. Think I will compare my TLR-2 (300 Lu) with my TLR-4 (125 Lu) tonight both inside and outdoors. As the saying goes, sometimes more is not necessarily better its just more. NOTE: exception to the rule, never applies to Horsepower, Money, or Magazine capacity!
View Quote

The standard TLR-1 is about 120~ lumens.  I have an HL and a regular one.  The HL is too much for indoor handgun use but is perfect for outdoor use on a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, this looks interesting. Streamlight TLR-2G

It takes the battery I have in all my other flashlight and weapons lights/lasers. It also gives me a laser. and its fairly light and compact.

Anybody have any experience with this specific model. I have a couple TLRs on several of my pistols.

So after what has been talked about in the thread would this be a good choice?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Surefire LED flashlight and mounted it up to my rail using cheap scope rings from Walmart. It looks tacti-cool, it's brighter than hell, and it was affordable.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#21]
The Streamlight TLR is a rugged, reliable unit.  I recognize lasers as a valid tool when used in certain tasks, but I don't have any.  If it's something that you feel you have a use for, then get it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top