Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 6:52:55 AM EDT
3 Gun Nation Pro Shooting Tip from some dbag....

3 Gun Nation Pro Tip
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
First in line for autographs
Nice set up
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Anybody know what Sight he is using?

I like my Burris 332 but am thinking I might be better off without the close eye relief and doing away with magnification so I can go back to shooting with both eyes open. So the choices are no magnification or quickly changed variable. Suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like my Burris 332 but am thinking I might be better off without the close eye relief and doing away with magnification so I can go back to shooting with both eyes open. So the choices are no magnification or quickly changed variable. Suggestions.
View Quote
You could always ask him. He's visits here occasionally.

I sure do like the muddle break he's using also. I wonder who makes that?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That Brake looks very similar to the VG6 Precision Gamma 762 that I have on my 300BLK.

BTW, you could always ask him because somebody told me he visits here occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the OP is the guy in the video...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Brake looks like an SJC Titan...the one OP/Erik had a part in creating.

Scope appears to be a Leupold Mark 6.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, SJC Titan brake and Leupold Mk. 6 1-6 with TMR-D reticle.

Low powered variable with a true 1x is the only way to go for competition.....and it has some real good application for a serious social rifle also.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Q: If you raise it to compensate for scope offset in close in shots, won't your shots be high for far away shots?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep, SJC Titan brake and Leupold Mk. 6 1-6 with TMR-D reticle.

Low powered variable with a true 1x is the only way to go for competition.....and it has some real good application for a serious social rifle also.

View Quote

Thanks for the info. Super nice rig and setup.

Nothing personal, but I haven't kept up with shooting sports since I stopped shooting PPC and IPSC in the late 80s so I no longer know anybody.

Speaking of those days, has anybody used a C-More Sight on an AR. I used one on my .38 Super but when I sold the pistol, the sight was included.

On a side note, until I get a sponsor, I am only going to be able to afford two if those $1885.00 Leupold Mk. 6 1-6 with TMR-D reticle scopes, ...... not!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Q: If you raise it to compensate for scope offset in close in shots, won't your shots be high for far away shots?
View Quote

A: He only does that when is "Knows" he is shooting all close targets, then switches back before the next stage. His type of competition shooting has multiple stages at multiple distances so when all or most targets are going to be close, why use a hold over when a couple of quick clicks put you dead on bull-eye? When done shooting that course, 6.2 clicks and he is back to his true zero.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Arless,

Exactly...A: He only does that when is "Knows" he is shooting all close targets, then switches back before the next stage. His type of competition shooting has multiple stages at multiple distances so when all or most targets are going to be close, why use a hold over when a couple of quick clicks put you dead on bull-eye? When done shooting that course, 6.2 clicks and he is back to his true zero.

I would only dial for run n gun stages where all the targets were in that 10-20 yard range.  If I had a wider array of distances, then I would just use the holdovers, it would take too much time to dial up and down.

You still see Cmore's on pistols, but you won't find many on rifles.  They are too hard to zero as the don't have positive click adjustments and the polymer housing is too frail for serious rifle use.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Seeing as I am not running right out to get a Leupold Mk. 6 1-6 due to price point, any suggestions on a variable 1 to 3 or 1 to 4 for tactical shooting? Or a suggestion on a non-multiplier Dot Sight?

ETA:  Forgot, there is also the top rail on the 332 is it time to mount a dot sight on top?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seeing as I am not running right out to get a Leupold Mk. 6 1-6 due to price point, any suggestions on a variable 1 to 3 or 1 to 4 for tactical shooting? Or a suggestion on a non-multiplier Dot Sight?
View Quote

I've had good luck with my Burris TAC30 1-4x. You can find them new for $300 or less. Plenty of nicer scopes out there but it does the trick for me.

ETA: It's actually pictured in my avatar
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've had good luck with my Burris TAC30 1-4x. You can find them new for $300 or less. Plenty of nicer scopes out there but it does the trick for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a good choice.

Also the Burris MTAC, I just got rid of mine as I am upgrading to a Nightforce but I was happy with it.

Many will reccomend Vortex, but I have broken a Vortex and I have a ton of friends who have done the same...so I steer clear.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#15]
needs more beard...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Some beard is better than no beard!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A: He only does that when is "Knows" he is shooting all close targets, then switches back before the next stage. His type of competition shooting has multiple stages at multiple distances so when all or most targets are going to be close, why use a hold over when a couple of quick clicks put you dead on bull-eye? When done shooting that course, 6.2 clicks and he is back to his true zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eric said 6.2 mils when he dialed the scope not clicks. I don't know of a scope that will move 0.2 clicks. There is a huge difference between mils and clicks. It is also important to have a good scope to do this. Cheap scopes that use a coin or screwdriver to adjust elevation won't work. if you plan on dialing elevation calibrated and repeatable turret adjustments are a must.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#18]

What Scott said is correct.  I've got a Leupold Mk 6 1-6 scope calibrated with 2/10 mil adjustments, so changing elevation to 6.2 mils is actually 31 "clicks" on my scope.

You definitely need a high quality scope that will maintain zero when dialing in you data and returning to zero.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Eric said 6.2 mils when he dialed the scope not clicks. I don't know of a scope that will move 0.2 clicks. There is a huge difference between mils and clicks. It is also important to have a good scope to do this. Cheap scopes that use a coin or screwdriver to adjust elevation won't work. if you plan on dialing elevation calibrated and repeatable turret adjustments are a must.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant Mils but typed clicks IE taking off what he added which I think anybody reading my post understood it was Mils as you can't change by 6.2 Mils then go back to original zero using clicks. Knew what I was thinking but not watching what I was typing. Its similar to people talking about Magazines but typing Clips instead, we know they really meant Magazines because AR15s can't be loaded by Clips but AR15 Magazines can. ARs have removable magazines not fixed magazines like M1 Garand and some SKSs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey Eric, any suggestion on what I might mount on top of a Burris 332 so I can shoot with both eyes open under 50 yards. Of course I don't want to put a $600 Aimpoint on top of a $250 scope.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Your best option would be to sell or move the 332 to another rifle and get a low powered variable.

If that's just not a realistic option for you at this point, then I would probably look at getting a set of the Dueck Defense RTS sights and using them for anything close.  They cost less than a quality scope and inside 20 yards they are gonna be pretty fast to use.

Check out some youtube video's.  See what you think.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Your best option would be to sell or move the 332 to another rifle and get a low powered variable.

If that's just not a realistic option for you at this point, then I would probably look at getting a set of the Dueck Defense RTS sights and using them for anything close.  They cost less than a quality scope and inside 20 yards they are gonna be pretty fast to use.

Check out some youtube video's.  See what you think.

View Quote

That makes sense. I do have another rifle to more the 332 onto. So assuming I do that, knowing my eyes are not what they used to be, and under 50 yards I prefer to shoot with both eyes open, what 1 to X variable would you suggest (under $700). I have trained on 5.56 out to 600 Meters so I don't really want to box myself in with a under 200 yards dot sight. But don't know if that is realist. At the same time, I know in just about any conflict that might need me to action would probably be under 100 yards.

I will check out the RTS sights.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Obviously, not just a 'scope' problem, though they do tend to make the problem worse.

Every year someone shows up with a tall scope at the RBGC zombie 3-gun, since you can't see the holes on those targets well, they generally flunk the close stages badly.

I prefer remembering holdover, cause the jerks who set up the matches I shoot in like to add sideways slots and crap like that to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh Stimpy, we're gonna remember that in October.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Yeah cause me mouthing off in this thread is the cause of your evil...right.

And you ain't the only one I was talking about!
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice tip USSA-1.

My Accupoint 1-4x has pretty much forced me to this technique in certain situations.  The triangle reticle covers targets at 250-300+ yards if you try to hold over, which forces dialing a zero.  While I didn't purposefully get a zero at the close distances, I dialed a 300 yard zero and tested my poa/poi at close ranges to see the effect.  That gets close to zero and closes the gap pretty good so the offset becomes less of an issue.  Helps when the stage has 300 yard targets and 10-30 yard targets, but got tricky with the 100/150/200 yard ranges on the same stage.  Again, had to know poa/poi since it changes with dialed zero at all distances.  Using a ballistic chart was key.  It was odd using a 6 o'clock hold at the 100/150/200 yard targets.

The situation I described above makes it more complicated/ confusing, but dialing it for the CQB only type stages is a great idea and eliminates the guesswork of holding over for offset.

Quoted:............

Many will reccomend Vortex, but I have broken a Vortex and I have a ton of friends who have done the same...so I steer clear.
View Quote

Which model Vortex?  PST, Razor or ... ?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top