Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2014 3:32:34 AM EDT
Getting ready to set up a NFA Trust and was looking for some feedback on the various options in GA. Currently I am looking at www.georgianfa.com- for $200 a law firm backed trust that can be updated online seems like a deal.

Let's hear it!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I am using him for something else, but Dean Phillips in Marietta does trusts. Met with him in person, real good guy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am using him for something else, but Dean Phillips in Marietta does trusts. Met with him in person, real good guy.
View Quote

do you happen to know what he charges?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
He charges $125
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quicken will maker did mine
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.

There are even sample of trusts on the Internet that have all that you need.

"lawyer backed" in this case doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Here is a link to a free one. Just change it up to meet your needs.

NY Revocable Trust

Here is one that you can copy/paste into a word processor and edit to your needs.

Cut/Paste Revocable Trust

<<Edited to add a sample free trust>>
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Same here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Also this.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I set mine up with Quicken Willmaker in 2009 and have used it to acquire a number of NFA items. Before I did that, though, I throughly researched the Georgia Code regarding trusts, found out the law was straightforward and when I did my trust, I kept it very simple. I am the grantor and only trustee and my wife is named as the sucessor trustee. Also, my family situation is uncomplicated as I have no children so my wife is the sole beneficiary of the trust property. I am very comfortable with the trust I established. However, if the do-it-yourself approach isn't in your comfort zone, by all means go to an attorney.

I set up my trust out a concern for privacy as much as anything else. Before I had it, I never experienced difficulty getting the county sheriff to sign the law enforcment cetification on my forms. The thing was, I didn't care for the fact that half the deputies and other staff in the (small) department ended up knowing I had NFA stuff. Besides, it just went against my grain that I had to seek "permission" from the po-po to get something that was 100% legal for me to possess.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#8]
This guy was setup at a gun shop that I recently visited in Gainesville.
Ryan M Reid
Www.ryanreidlaw.com
678 971 4664

My trust was built in Sc and he reviewed it to make sure everything was good to go.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Gearhog.com just had a trust special for $69.00.  Friend of mine scored one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I took the template posted by Maryland_Shooter in our very own NFA subforum and tweaked it to suit my needs.

Works like a charm.

Cost:  $0
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I took the template posted by Maryland_Shooter in our very own NFA subforum and tweaked it to suit my needs.

Works like a charm.

View Quote

I would not be surprised if some of the lawyers are using similar forms and just popping in people's info.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Works like a charm.

View Quote

Have you or anyone you know of had that trust reviewed by an attorney after updating info?
I am still on the fence as to which way to go.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Have you or anyone you know of had that trust reviewed by an attorney after updating info?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Works like a charm.

Nope, I see no need.  A trust is a very simple legal document, all things considered.

With that said, I will only ever use this trust for NFA.

If I intended to use it for other property or estate planning, I would seek the services of an attorney.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nope, I see no need.  A trust is a very simple legal document, all things considered.

If I intended to use it for other property or estate planning, I would seek the services of an attorney.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works like a charm.

I have compared mine to the lawyer written ones above. They are pretty close to identical
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would not be surprised if some of the lawyers are using similar forms and just popping in people's info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works like a charm.

Hell yes, change names/counties, etc. $200 for 10 minutes of time and have a nice day. Can't blame them, everyone's got to eat and some people will always want a "lawyer written" trust.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works like a charm.

That's why I'm thinking lawyer first go around, that way I can go ahead and put other things on as well and make sure my son is covered in case the grass suddenly hits the other side.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That's why I'm thinking lawyer first go around, that way I can go ahead and put other things on as well and make sure my son is covered in case the grass suddenly hits the other side.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works like a charm.

I'd recommend an attorney who specializes in estate planning, then.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I got my NC trust in a package deal from my suppressor dealer, I think it was $79 at the time. It was actually set up by David Goldman out of Jacksonville, FL. http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/
I agree it wasn't necessary, but neither is wearing a helmet or putting on a seatbelt. It all comes down to personal comfort zones.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got my NC trust in a package deal from my suppressor dealer, I think it was $79 at the time. It was actually set up by David Goldman out of Jacksonville, FL. http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/
I agree it wasn't necessary, but neither is wearing a helmet or putting on a seatbelt. It all comes down to personal comfort zones.
View Quote

Actually, most states have laws about helmet or seatbelt use. :)
There is no law that requires that your trust be prepared by a lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there any law (State or Fed.) that specifically states what must be included in an NFA trust? Is there anything commonly left out that may cause issues in the future?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Is there any law (State or Fed.) that specifically states what must be included in an NFA trust? Is there anything commonly left out that may cause issues in the future?

View Quote

There is nothing magic that makes a regular trust an NFA trust.

A trust is a trust is a trust.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Got ya, thanks! Please excuse my ignorance, this is all new to me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only thing that you have to have is a schedule A.
I forget if there is anything else that is needed.
The examiner is not going to go over your trust like a lawyer would for litigation or anything like that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#24]
10-4

Im thinking of getting the suppressor from Silencer Shop and just adding their trust and stamp to the cart. I can swing $130 for a trust and not worry about if I missed something.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#25]
So all of the talk about you or a shop setting up a trust being practicing law without a license is a bunch of baloney?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't know much about NFA trusts, but this is of interest to me as I own the Sig 556xi and the shorter barrels will (hopefully) start being offered.   If you set up a trust can you put any number of SBRs (or class 3) in it without having to go through a long process?  Do you have to pay the Tax Stamp on each weapon?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't know much about NFA trusts, but this is of interest to me as I own the Sig 556xi and the shorter barrels will (hopefully) start being offered.   If you set up a trust can you put any number of SBRs (or class 3) in it without having to go through a long process?  Do you have to pay the Tax Stamp on each weapon?
View Quote

You still have to pay the tax.  The trust just simplifies the ATF portion.  No CLEO signoff, etc.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#28]
So what's the verdict on the practicing law without a license deal?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The one person that I know that had the shop help them, the shop didn't do it, they just let you use the computer and told you what it was asking for. So technically they weren't doing it, you were.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The one person that I know that had the shop help them, the shop didn't do it, they just let you use the computer and told you what it was asking for. So technically they weren't doing it, you were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you would be the one operating illegally instead of the shop.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if you are serious.

But if you are how is writing a trust any different from forming an LLC? Or writing a will?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I used Willmaker 2007 and I've got three stamps now.

It does the job and I'm sure I'm on the up and up but I'm not 100% confident I would trust it to will items to my wife if I died.  If I buy a machine gun or a high dollar suppressor I'm going to have it looked at by a lawyer and pay the $$'s just for peace of mind.  

Right now the instructions to my wife if I die are sell the uppers, send a letter to the ATF to remove the lowers from the registry and then sell the lowers for whatever.  The .22 can should be bandsawed into 4 pieces, photographed and sent certified mail to the atf in a cardboard box for all I care.  This is from my dead husband, deal with it assholes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

Nothing illegal about it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I have referred Doug King at my shop on numerous occasions.

He's once again practicing law on a limited basis,

td
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

td
View Quote

That's who I used.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's who I used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

td

That's who I used.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top