Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2014 2:52:17 AM EDT
Hi,

Wife and I are looking to move away from Miami to GA.  We are both.professionals (IT/College Professor & Psychologist/College Professor) and are looking for an area <45mins from a city we can find work.  We are very outdoorsy and I fish at least 2x a week.  Having land I can setup a range at would be great.  Looking for a house under $300k.  Ive driven through GA a couple times and dahlonega really stood out.  Ideas?  Thx in advance!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:09:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Warner Robins has many new homes in your price range and is 30 to 45 minutes south of Macon depending on traffic.

There are 6 campuses off the top of my head within the 45 minutes range from Warner Robins.

Macon State
Mercer university
Wesleyan
Georgia military college
Fort valley state
Central Georgia Tech

And I think UGA has a satellite campus as well.

Eta for fishing

Lake Sinclair is a 90 minute drive
Lake tobosofkee is a 45-60 drive
Lake Blackshear is a 90 minute drive
Houston lake is 15 minutes
Private ponds are to many to count less than 30 minutes.
Several streams and rivers

View Quote

Ty!  I'm going to have to get used to driving to fish.  Miami is full of lakes and canals and every one has bass & peacock bass ...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:23:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on what time you leave the house 45 minutes opens a whole lot around atlanta. If you leave at 7 you better be within 15-20 moles from work. 6am or earlier and you could be 50+ miles from there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, GA reached it's quota of yankee transplants with Runcible.   I hear Alabama is nice
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Went to school in Dahlonega, its a nice town. Not really a big city near there though. You may want to look near 400 that way you'd have a straight shot to Atlanta.  I recently bought a house in Flowery Branch and the only thing I didn't get on my list was land for a range. I got 3/4 acre for around 200k. The further you get away from the city the more land you can get for a lower cost.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Went to school in Dahlonega, its a nice town. Not really a big city near there though. You may want to look near 400 that way you'd have a straight shot to Atlanta.  I recently bought a house in Flowery Branch and the only thing I didn't get on my list was land for a range. I got 3/4 acre for around 200k. The further you get away from the city the more land you can get for a lower cost.
View Quote

Second Dahlonega.  The University of North Georgia (University System of Georgia leadership institution and The Military College of Georgia.).  Is a great university especially if you are ex-military.  You and the wife could possibly get jobs there.  You can live/hunt/fish in the mountains and come down to the big city (Gainesville) or the “hood” (Atlanta)   occasionally.

Don't fall into the trap of trying to live in Dahlonega and work in Atlanta.  If you try, you will end up living in you car.  Traffic is a .........
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry, GA reached it's quota of yankee transplants with Runcible.   I hear Alabama is nice
View Quote

No kidding
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No kidding
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding

Isn't this the third or fourth thread like this in the last week?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding

Yes.  We need taller fences.  Luckily, most of em seem to be staying in the northern part of the state
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hi,

Wife and I are looking to move away from Miami to GA.  We are both.professionals (IT/College Professor & Psychologist/College Professor) and are looking for an area <45mins from a city we can find work.  We are very outdoorsy and I fish at least 2x a week.  Having land I can setup a range at would be great.  Looking for a house under $300k.  Ive driven through GA a couple times and dahlonega really stood out.  Ideas?  Thx in advance!
View Quote

Dahlonega is nice and your wife might find a position teaching there if she tries. It's a great college town with tons of rural property around it where you can shoot all day long without fear provided you have a few acres.

It's the county seat of Lumpkin County and is approx 45 mins from Atlanta on a main highway. Fishing is great in all directions as lakes and rivers abound. Bass and others in the lakes, trout in the streams and rivers. Nice mountain climate that's not too hot and winters with a little dusting now and then to give you a mountain feel.

Good luck and don't let the other HTF Yankee haters get you down. Transplants damn near run this state and they know it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like Dahlonega/Murrayville/Gainesville is what you seek.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dahlonega is nice and your wife might find a position teaching there if she tries. It's a great college town with tons of rural property around it where you can shoot all day long without fear provided you have a few acres.

It's the county seat of Lumpkin County and is approx 45 mins from Atlanta on a main highway. Fishing is great in all directions as lakes and rivers abound. Bass and others in the lakes, trout in the streams and rivers. Nice mountain climate that's not too hot and winters with a little dusting now and then to give you a mountain feel.

Good luck and don't let the other HTF Yankee haters get you down. Transplants damn near run this state and they know it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Yeah, we know it all too well, and we know it's what's wrong with half the state.  Problem with the other half is the "good Ol boy" mentality.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not Canton or Jasper or Ellijay?

Kennesaw State and plenty of companies that need IT and tons of people that live and work in Atlanta that need their head shrunk! One could live in Paulding, North Cobb, Cherokee, or Gilmer County. Live closer to Kennesaw and work at one of the smaller colleges up GA-515 and drive against traffic both ways! I live in Dunwoody but work in North Georgia so traffic usually isn't a problem as 95 percent of the time I am driving against it.

Another thought would be Rome! Mountains with tons of rivers and lakes with really nice homes for $300K with lots of land. You could spend a little more and get a really nice place on a river and go fishing everyday after work. Berry College and other small colleges are in the area. There would basically not really be traffic when comparing it to Atlanta.

My first thought would be to find an area where both of you can get jobs, then if those jobs work, then start looking for where is best to live based on what is around where you will be working.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why not Canton or Jasper or Ellijay?

Kennesaw State and plenty of companies that need IT and tons of people that live and work in Atlanta that need their head shrunk! One could live in Paulding, North Cobb, Cherokee, or Gilmer County. Live closer to Kennesaw and work at one of the smaller colleges up GA-515 and drive against traffic both ways! I live in Dunwoody but work in North Georgia so traffic usually isn't a problem as 95 percent of the time I am driving against it.

Another thought would be Rome! Mountains with tons of rivers and lakes with really nice homes for $300K with lots of land. You could spend a little more and get a really nice place on a river and go fishing everyday after work. Berry College and other small colleges are in the area. There would basically not really be traffic when comparing it to Atlanta.

My first thought would be to find an area where both of you can get jobs, then if those jobs work, then start looking for where is best to live based on what is around where you will be working.
View Quote

This. Rome, Calhoun, Adairsville, cartersville, I wouldn't wanna get any closer to Atlanta than that and dalton is little Mexico City. All on I75(Rome is about 20 minutes off I75, but still a nice location) Calhoun is 45mins from Atlanta and Chattanooga and tons of work options at both and in between. Around here, just get 10-15 mins from the interstate and you can get a nice house with decent land for that kinda price range.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hi,

View Quote

Do you want to stay in a University? If so, then have a job before you move.  Most universities in the USG are showing flat enrollment so hiring is not strong for anything other than part-time instructors.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to Ga.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#17]
North Forsyth or Southern Dawson counties. Note, commuting anywhere south of Alpharetta is going suck. Closer you live to where you work, the happier you will be. 45'mins isn't very far during rush-hour.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't listen to them, you can come here so long as you push the R button at election time :-P
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:56:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hi,

View Quote

I escaped Miami in 1988, and finally settled in the Watkinsville/Athens area.

Northeast Georgia is one of the nicer areas of the country I have ever lived in.

UGA is the big college in this area.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:31:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you want to stay in a University? If so, then have a job before you move.  Most universities in the USG are showing flat enrollment so hiring is not strong for anything other than part-time instructors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

And ...l adjuncts don't get very much money ....
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:03:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Middle GA, as Makeitflyfast suggested.

Dahlonega area is nice as well. Or the Kennesaw/Marietta area.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#22]
University of West Georgia is building a new campus in Newnan. Between the main campus in Carrollton and Newnan you might be able to find a position.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#23]
We're just busting your balls, welcome to GA.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Welcome to Georgia

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:33:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
University of West Georgia is building a new campus in Newnan. Between the main campus in Carrollton and Newnan you might be able to find a position.
View Quote

UWG is NOT building a new campus in Newnan.  They are renovating a hospital to use as a satellite campus

UWG does not pay adjuncts very well.  Last time I heard it was $2500 a class for something like Psych.  IT stuff may pay better.

Limited Term faculty (full time year to year contracts with no chance for tenure) do 4 to 5 classes a term for pay in the low $40s unless they've been changed recently.

You need to contact the department chairs about jobs.  Their contact numbers can be found at www.westga.edu

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry, GA reached it's quota of yankee transplants with Runcible.
View Quote

Sorry, he's letting me stay with him this week while I look for a place.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How's the back doing buddy? You getting around any better?
View Quote

So-so. Can't wait to see how it feels after 12+ hours of driving.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

UWG is NOT building a new campus in Newnan.  They are renovating a hospital to use as a satellite campus

UWG does not pay adjuncts very well.  Last time I heard it was $2500 a class for something like Psych.  IT stuff may pay better.

Limited Term faculty (full time year to year contracts with no chance for tenure) do 4 to 5 classes a term for pay in the low $40s unless they've been changed recently.

You need to contact the department chairs about jobs.  Their contact numbers can be found at www.westga.edu

Good Luck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck!

Department chairs won't get you far unless you are looking for part-time positions where they will file your CV away with the rest until they need a part-timer and then they will go through them. Full-time faculty are still handled by search committees.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry, GA reached it's quota of yankee transplants with Runcible.

You're an inky and a JBT, I'll let it slide this one time, due to special circumstances.  We have too many stray dogs
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh shit, so you're not kidding about coming down huh? NY to N. Ga in only 12+ hours is hauling ass! Well maybe not, it takes me 23-26 to get to Maine from Central Ga.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How's the back doing buddy? You getting around any better?

So-so. Can't wait to see how it feels after 12+ hours of driving.

Oh shit, so you're not kidding about coming down huh? NY to N. Ga in only 12+ hours is hauling ass! Well maybe not, it takes me 23-26 to get to Maine from Central Ga.

I did Long Island to Savannah in 11 hours 15 minutes last year but I was hauling ass that trip. I drive overnight and only stop to piss and get gas.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Family here in our free state?
View Quote

Friends in GA and family in FL.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Department chairs won't get you far unless you are looking for part-time positions where they will file your CV away with the rest until they need a part-timer and then they will go through them. Full-time faculty are still handled by search committees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck!

And those committees run out of the departments ..  Vacancies for full time positions will be advertised  and listed on the UWG HR page, part time single course positions may not be listed at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's sort of a one stop shopping link for available positions with the Georgia system schools.  Goodness knows how up to date the listings really are.

http://www.usg.edu/hr/jobs/employment_links
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I think the city of Jefferson is what you seek.  

A lot of home for the money
Very nice and quiet area with great schools.
30 minutes from UGA
30 minutes from Gainesville college

There's more but I really picked up the iPad to shop.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And those committees run out of the departments ..  Vacancies for full time positions will be advertised  and listed on the UWG HR page, part time single course positions may not be listed at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck!

And guess who doesn't run the UWG HR page?  The department heads.  The committee's are only appointed once the position has been approved to hire for, and then they take the submissions that come in for that position.......

Seriously, unless you are looking for part-time, department chairs won't get you far because that is not how the hiring is handled.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And guess who doesn't run the UWG HR page?  The department heads.  The committee's are only appointed once the position has been approved to hire for, and then they take the submissions that come in for that position.......

Seriously, unless you are looking for part-time, department chairs won't get you far because that is not how the hiring is handled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Luck!

This is getting confusing.  Here's how it has worked at UWG ....  I was on a lot of recruitment committees and chaired a bunch

Chair receives authorization to recruit a full time faculty member from the dean

Chair forms a recruitment committee within the department

Chair of committee fills out a bunch of forms and sends to HR.  

HR lists the opening on their web page.,,There used to be USG clearing house butmImcouod not find it

Advertisements are made nationally.  These include the Chronicle of Higher Education and appropriate professional societies

Applicants send applications to the search committee.  These can be paper or electronic depending on the department

After deadline committee gets together and chooses finalists

Chair of dept and committee and take list applications of finalists to dean for approval to interview.  Frequently there are phone interviews before this list is made up.

People brought to campus for interviews.  They usually do both teaching and research presentations, talk to a bunch of people including the dean

Committee makes hiring recommendation to the department and chair

Department and chair make a recommendation to the dean

Dean gives approval

Chair sends letter to successful candidate offering job.  negotiations over salary and a few other things at this point

candidate accept position.  so sorry letters sent to all applicants at this point

Lots of paperwork within department and HR before person starts.

A very tedious process that takes months.  Almost as bad as getting a job with the Feds.

For part time it is much easier but the departments must receive ok from the dean to look for someone and the dean will approve the applicant.  I have no idea how much advertising is requires but the position will be on the HR web page.

a letter to a dept chair with an attached vitae should get you consideration with the search committee but it is best to send them a new complete package.
Any questions?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hey Blofeld and 12a10.

Stupid question here guys, but what does any of this have to do with op's request?

View Quote

Very little.  OP  and wife do academic stuff so interested in jobs

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

No worries I'm not a Yankee
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Thank you for the info guys!   You guys mentioned many of the places I was looking at.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So have you decided on a location that works best for your family?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you for the info guys!   You guys mentioned many of the places I was looking at.

Come hang with us in Middle Ga. We shoot often.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not yet. Going to plan a road trip later this year and stay a couple nights in the various places mentioned and see what the wife likes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Northwest of Atlanta is nice. Basically the Acworth/Kennesaw/Marietta/Hiram area. Close to Adventure Outdoors and Governor's Gun Club
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top