Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:28:35 AM EDT
Doing some recon for relocation out of this shithole state i live in, Doing a day/night in Savannah to appease the wife (not against moving anywhere  in GA/SC/TN/KY etc...actually) so is there anything that is a must see there? Also, good place on the water for lunch/dinner that is appropriate for a 7 year and won't break the bank?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By makeitflyfast:
Have fun!

here's a past thread on Savannah
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Evild:

thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By makeitflyfast:
Have fun!

here's a past thread on Savannah

thanks

My favorite places to eat that aren't stupid expensive include Crystal Beer Parlor, Distillery, Green Truck, Public, and Blowin Smoke. Most places on River St. aren't that great and are pricey, but I like Rocks on the River, Barracuda Bob's, Chart House, and Dubs. Pearl's and Bonna Bella are a drive but have the best view in the area.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lucky_13] [#4]
My best friend and fellow ARFCOM member, is the executive chef at Jazz'd.  It's a tapas bar and the food is dang good!

Didn't see the part about the 7 year old.  Maybe not the best.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, got a lead on a job, sort of, I know what the pay for weekend differential, what health insurance cost and that there is 4 positions open, just have to see if i like the area. will look at the places mentioned for lunch/dinner. I truly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, got a lead on a job, sort of, I know what the pay for weekend differential, what health insurance cost and that there is 4 positions open, just have to see if i like the area. will look at the places mentioned for lunch/dinner. I truly appreciate it.
View Quote

Second on Crystal Beer Parlor. That place is awesome for casual dining, and the beer selection is vey good.  My wife and I live in Macon and travel to Savannah a lot for mini vacations. It can get crowded downtown on weekends and march to september is tourist season, but its a pretty nice place to spend your time.  May want to look at Richmond Hill or Pooler for housing; much cheaper than Savannah proper.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By southerncross:

Second on Crystal Beer Parlor. That place is awesome for casual dining, and the beer selection is vey good.  My wife and I live in Macon and travel to Savannah a lot for mini vacations. It can get crowded downtown on weekends and march to september is tourist season, but its a pretty nice place to spend your time.  May want to look at Richmond Hill or Pooler for housing; much cheaper than Savannah proper.
View All Quotes

Thanks,  definitely will check out the Beer parlor. What can you tell me about living in Macon? I'm not ruling out anywhere. I'm an RN so I have some flexability where I live.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#10]
My his happened around my house yesterday,

http://www.wsav.com/story/26029088/man-injured-in-forsyth-park-shooting

It's a dangerous city, it's not just all moss and ghost tours.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
hope you like humidity and heat..
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LOMartin:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LOMartin:

LOL, I live in the burbs of Buffalo and work in the city, thats almost a daily even here it seems.  I carry everywhere. Not sure If i am going to carry on t his trip, don't know if I'll have time to get acquainted with the laws.

Originally Posted By striper:
hope you like humidity and heat..

love it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Thanks,  definitely will check out the Beer parlor. What can you tell me about living in Macon? I'm not ruling out anywhere. I'm an RN so I have some flexability where I live.
View All Quotes

Macon is a liberal shit stain on the state but Forsyth is a nice small town 15-20 min from Macon. There are a few large well known hospitals in Macon that are big employers; The Medical Center, Coliseum Hospital, and in Warner Robins (15 min from Macon)  there is Houston County Medical Center.

If you've got questions about middle Ga let us know, there are a lot of us on the forum that live here.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Macon is a liberal shit stain on the state but Forsyth is a nice small town 15-20 min from Macon. There are a few large well known hospitals in Macon that are big employers; The Medical Center, Coliseum Hospital, and in Warner Robins (15 min from Macon)  there is Houston County Medical Center.

If you've got questions about middle Ga let us know, there are a lot of us on the forum that live here.
View All Quotes

Thanks, had no idea MAcon was liberal, thought only Atlanta and Athens were. I'll probably have more question when I get back from my trip next week than I have now. Don't think I will be carrying, dont' like the idea of having to lock the gun up in the car if we goes someplace that is a no gun place.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, had no idea MAcon was liberal, thought only Atlanta and Athens were. I'll probably have more question when I get back from my trip next week than I have now. Don't think I will be carrying, dont' like the idea of having to lock the gun up in the car if we goes someplace that is a no gun place.
View All Quotes

Macon is liberal because of the racial demographics.  Go three inches out of the city and it is pretty damn conservative.  The same goes for Athens, but Athens draws it liberalism from the University of Georgia.  The liberal nature of Athens is easily offset by every county that borders it.  The US Representative from the District Athens is in is Paul Broun.  He is pretty damn conservative.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lucky_13:

Macon is liberal because of the racial demographics.  Go three inches out of the city and it is pretty damn conservative.  The same goes for Athens, but Athens draws it liberalism from the University of Georgia.  The liberal nature of Athens is easily offset by every county that borders it.  The US Representative from the District Athens is in is Paul Broun.  He is pretty damn conservative.
View Quote

Good to know, were going to Athens to see my wife's aunt, all I know about her is she's weird.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#18]

He's right. Monroe Co (where my house is) borders Bibb (which is Macon), but this year they voted to consolidate the Macon-Bibb govt into one entity, ensuring the liberal in-town voting will be offset by the county conservatives. It will help but Macon is going to be on a long tough road out of the financial shit it was put in by former mayors and councilmen and women.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evild] [#19]
Back from my crazy 3 day trip. Was well worth it. I cannot believe the traffic in the area of Atlanta, turned me off a bit, but i can work around it if/when I move. Savannah is by far the coolest place I have ever been. We were only there for about 16 hours but it was awesome. Had an hour to kill before leaving, mostly to get the little guy all nice an happy for the 16 hour ride home and met some really cool younger people who were on vacation from Lawrenceville. was 95 with 90% humidity, not an ache in my body, my nose has never been less congested, and I don't think i even broke sweat. At at Huey's cuz the wife said so, was disappointed we didn't go to places you all recommended, but, i had to let her have her way i guess.
Not sure if I would live in Savannah but if I told the wife to pack up she would do it in  a heart beat.
Had dinner with a friend who lives in Dacula and we talked about the pros and cons, of moving to Ga, as far as I can see, the one and only con is traffic.
1 thing i wish i did, and hindsight is always 20/20, was not look at houses, there was a short sale listed for $100k in Lawrenceville that last sold for $238K, I should've looked at it, I could of always rented it till I was ready to move, but whatever, If i had any foresight my life would be a lot less complicated.
Now my friend talks kinda low, we had a few beers, and I'm Partially deaf but I thought he said there we considering getting rid of state income tax? is that true?

crossing back into Newyorkistan I felt my soul being ripped out of my body, I hate it here even more.
Hopefully doing recon part two over the winter and moving june/july.

Thanks for listening.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Back from my crazy 3 day trip. Was well worth it. I cannot believe the traffic in the area of Atlanta, turned me off a bit, but i can work around it if/when I move. Savannah is by far the coolest place I have ever been. We were only there for about 16 hours but it was awesome. Had an hour to kill before leaving, mostly to get the little guy all nice an happy for the 16 hour ride home and met some really cool younger people who were on vacation from Lawrenceville. was 95 with 90% humidity, not an ache in my body, my nose has never been less congested, and I don't think i even broke sweat. At at Huey's cuz the wife said so, was disappointed we didn't go to places you all recommended, but, i had to let her have her way i guess.
Not sure if I would live in Savannah but if I told the wife to pack up she would do it in  a heart beat.
Had dinner with a friend who lives in Dacula and we talked about the pros and cons, of moving to Ga, as far as I can see, the one and only con is traffic.
1 thing i wish i did, and hindsight is always 20/20, was not look at houses, there was a short sale listed for $100k in Lawrenceville that last sold for $238K, I should've looked at it, I could of always rented it till I was ready to move, but whatever, If i had any foresight my life would be a lot less complicated.
Now my friend talks kinda low, we had a few beers, and I'm Partially deaf but I thought he said there we considering getting rid of state income tax? is that true?

crossing back into Newyorkistan I felt my soul being ripped out of my body, I hate it here even more.

Thanks for listening.
View Quote

Let us know when you come back. The wife and I could probably be decent tour guides for most of the state.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Let us know when you come back. The wife and I could probably be decent tour guides for most of the state.
View All Quotes

Thanks for listening.

awesome, thanks, I will let you know.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#22]
We need to sticky this one, and one of the better "moving to GA" threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top