Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2014 3:29:49 PM EDT
Hello everyone
I have a weird request. I need to find someone that can pick up some threads on a shaft and extend them roughly 1/2"
Here's the catch. They are metric.
Damn motorcycles
22mm x1.0
and
24 or 25mm x1.0

Pics of progress. Still have to shorten the rear link. Got a loong ways to go.
</a>" />
</a>" />
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Die?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Die?
View Quote

Hopefully not for a few more years
Wanted to compare the cost.
The dies will be about 80.00 usd
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought you said it was metric, what is with the half inch extension?

Just kidding, have you looked at Harbor Freight? Their thread cutters are not that expensive and if you only have this one job, they should hold up long enough.

Also it would probably help for those with the proper equipment to know if this is a part that can be removed from the bike and put in a chuck. Turning it would be a snap and much quicker then by hand.

Also depending on the application if somebody else has run into this, maybe somebody sells the part aftermarket with extended threads.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just kidding, have you looked at Harbor Freight? Their thread cutters are not that expensive and if you only have this one job, they should hold up long enough.

Also it would probably help for those with the proper equipment to know if this is a part that can be removed from the bike and put in a chuck. Turning it would be a snap and much quicker then by hand.

Also depending on the application if somebody else has run into this, maybe somebody sells the part aftermarket with extended threads.
View Quote

It's a steering stem it's already removed from the triple clamp  the base should fit in most three jaw chucks It's around 30mm at the base, or a little over 1"  
My problem is the clausing I have access to doesn't have metric settings
Good news is the steel isn't that hard. I've already set back the upper bearing shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

HF taps and dies are not worth even one use.  

I tried to chase a few 1/4-20 holes in some mild steel with a brand new tap.  I could see the tap threads deform as I screwed them into the existing hole.  The tap was completely worthless.  I threw the entire set away.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Those are bastard sizes, are you sure the pitch is 1.0 mm? M22 fine series is 1.5 mm pitch and the M24 would be 1.5 or 2.0 mm pitch on standard sizes. I know some OEM's will put a bastard size thread on parts but that is a very fine pitch for both those diameters.

On a clausing lathe you have to have a set of change gears to chase metric and if you don't have a book on the proper gear set-up you will be chasing your tail more than chasing threads.

What part of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Those are bastard sizes, are you sure the pitch is 1.0 mm? M22 fine series is 1.5 mm pitch and the M24 would be 1.5 or 2.0 mm pitch on standard sizes. I know some OEM's will put a bastard size thread on parts but that is a very fine pitch for both those diameters.

On a clausing lathe you have to have a set of change gears to chase metric and if you don't have a book on the proper gear set-up you will be chasing your tail more than chasing threads.

What part of the state are you in?
View Quote

I'll check it when I get home with a TP guage to make sure.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are you in GA?

I do this sort of thing all the time.
Our Mazak does not need a gear change, it will cut standard or metric with just a shift of a lever.
Pickup is fairly easy, procedure is a little different (can't use the dial, lock it and leave it until finished).

ETA: The Hercules requires a gear change but has all the metric pitches charted, no calculations required. But we hardly ever use it for that.

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where are you in GA?

Our Mazak does not need a gear change, it will cut standard or metric with just a shift of a lever.
Pickup is fairly easy, procedure is a little different (can't use the dial, lock it and leave it until finished).

ETA: The Hercules requires a gear change but has all the metric pitches charted, no calculations required. But we hardly ever use it for that.

View Quote

I'm west of Atlanta. and yes the thread pitch guage verified the eyecrometer. 1.0 TP
ETA: probably too far Terry.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm west of Atlanta. and yes the thread pitch guage verified the eyecrometer. 1.0 TP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are you in GA?

Yeah, I'm in Waycross.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#11]
If I were you, which I am not, and I had a friend, who is a machinist, more specifically a lathe operator, that worked right at the end of the road that you live off of.....I'd call him tomorrow, and sweet talk him.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at Alibaba for dies . We needed an odd die in the shop and got it there , the handicap is it is slow as it comes from China . took about 3 weeks from order to my door
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump for update.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Perhaps I'm retarded...whats the update?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It appears to be back on wheels . It was a picture of forks before I think . Looks like progress
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used my little lathe at home and picked up the threads, oddly enough my machine had the gears to do metric.
A google search of RZ350 will show what it "used to look like.after all it is a 30 year old 2 stroke
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I used my little lathe at home and picked up the threads, oddly enough my machine had the gears to do metric.
A google search of RZ350 will show what it "used to look like.after all it is a 30 year old 2 stroke
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats awesome Chris!

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]
A little update on teh progress
Ride height fixed Had to make new links.
Bad news for some of you but if this doesn't give you a chubby... You might be gay.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Thats a good looking bike man.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Had friends back in the 80's that raced RZ's & RD's . I rode his race prepped RZ a few times.  That bike was PYSCHO...below 6grand it barely got out of its way but past 7grand it was a ROCKET.

Keep us posted speed.

7mm
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Had friends back in the 80's that raced RZ's & RD's . I rode his race prepped RZ a few times.  That bike was PYSCHO...below 6grand it barely got out of its way but past 7grand it was a ROCKET.

Keep us posted speed.

7mm
View Quote

I know I raced RD's for 4 years in WERA, probably why I'm a little "off" today.
Nothing in this world can prepare you for a bike that jumps from 35 to 75 Hp in 1000 rpms then ride it in the rain.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice moped.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks nice.............but I'm too old....too fat............ and too orthopedically challenged to ride anything that ain't a V Twin with mild ape hangers........just riding that around the block would put my ass in bed on ice packs for a week.....

Congrats on picking up the thread.......pretty scary thing to do if it is the first time you have ever done it........
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Some old pics I found from the late 90"s

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Meter set came in
More fun

[/URL
and a progress pic.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice job, that's a couple of bad ass looking bikes.  Would have loved to have either one when I was a lot younger.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#27]
What is the one with 4 exhaust pipes ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is the one with 4 exhaust pipes ?
View Quote

YZR500 #7 of 17 buillt in 1995 180hp 500cc
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Did I see a MB-5 in the shop too???  The white & red scooter w/o a seat?

7mm
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#30]
i'll confess, when I saw the orange and white one with the exhaust tucked over the rear wheel, I thought it was a muppet....
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did I see a MB-5 in the shop too???  The white & red scooter w/o a seat?

7mm
View Quote

Nope thats another RZ that I had done some work on for the owner of the 500. That is what a stocker looks like.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
i'll confess, when I saw the orange and white one with the exhaust tucked over the rear wheel, I thought it was a muppet....
View Quote

It was...
This kinda muppet

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice job, that's a couple of bad ass looking bikes.  Would have loved to have either one when I was a lot younger.
View Quote

In honor of your kind words I'll post a pic of me riding my "girls bike" at Deals Gap.
As to being too old... Some of the guys I used to race with were no spring chickens
Ted Hubbard comes to mind. He was a genius, a combat vet and could ride the hell out of that old BSA.
http://www.flattrack.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&catid=34&id=109468<emid=0&view=topic

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top