Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 6:32:30 AM EDT
I am the rider in this video.  It was a beautiful day for a ride.

http://youtu.be/E0yM0Wrtx0s

edit:  pic of my bike

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
looked like a heckuva lot of fun..especially starting around the 2:00 mark
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looked like a heckuva lot of fun..especially starting around the 2:00 mark
View Quote

I did not expect it to be that deep when I hit the puddle.  Its usually about 6" deep or so.  Damn ruts. I think I handled it well, especially considering this was my only 2nd time on the dirt (I'm a new rider).
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Lol yeah that's one thing about muddy puddles, never know if they're 6" deep or 16" never ridden a dual sport before I'd like to have one. Ridden plenty of other bikes and a few dirt bikes but never a DS.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#4]
So what does one have to do to legally ride/drive a tagged vehicle in a WMA?  I just acquired a vehicle that would be a lot of fun to drive in one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lol yeah that's one thing about muddy puddles, never know if they're 6" deep or 16" never ridden a dual sport before I'd like to have one. Ridden plenty of other bikes and a few dirt bikes but never a DS.
View Quote

It's pretty much like a HEAVY dirt bike...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Palachucola, my favorite range in the area...it's a well kept secret, my own private Idaho.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Palachucola, my favorite range in the area...it's a well kept secret, my own private Idaho.
View Quote

It has become my favorite as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats the distance out to?

The KLRs are great bikes! I rode my 2012 KLR down to Key West and back last year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
100yd
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:25:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Where is this place? I googled and it shows South Carolina, that right?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Fun times! I love getting off the main road, I have a BMW R1200 GS and I take it on the Forest Service roads in N.GA often.

OP, you need to keep your RPM's up when you encounter hazards like the mud puddle. Stay in a lower gear with the engine revving in the middle of it's torque band and you are way less likely to stall. Good job staying upright, I've seen many riders fall into the mud when they stall, done it myself a few times on lighter bikes. I'm too concerned about trying to pull my GS out of a bog that if I can't find a way around it I blast through it after scouting it with a long stick for ruts, soft bottom, etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#12]
also, carry a spare inner tube... and know how to replace one out in the field.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fun times! I love getting off the main road, I have a BMW R1200 GS and I take it on the Forest Service roads in N.GA often.

OP, you need to keep your RPM's up when you encounter hazards like the mud puddle. Stay in a lower gear with the engine revving in the middle of it's torque band and you are way less likely to stall. Good job staying upright, I've seen many riders fall into the mud when they stall, done it myself a few times on lighter bikes. I'm too concerned about trying to pull my GS out of a bog that if I can't find a way around it I blast through it after scouting it with a long stick for ruts, soft bottom, etc.
View Quote

Thanks. It was my first time in water that deep.  Past water crossings were literally only 1-2" deep. This was over a foot deep in some areas which was completely unexpected.

I did flop on the side later and was able to pick it up and push it out easily. It's only 450 pounds.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like fun OP.

I really need to get another dual sport bike, way too much fun to be had. I rode the piss out of my old DR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top