Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2014 7:42:43 PM EDT
Where in the metro can I buy an Alice pack?
I am in Cobb so I would prefer a place close.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Where in the metro can I buy an Alice pack?

I am in Cobb so I would prefer a place close.

Thanks!
View Quote

Military Surplus stores have them still. There's 2-3 around Marietta I'd check.

At least they did when I was getting Proton Pack supplies.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one listed on the ODT .
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
In Marietta, try Hodge's Army Navy on Cobb Pkwy South, and Atlanta Army Navy in the industrial park behind the Coca Cola plant.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:19:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In Marietta, try Hodge's Army Navy on Cobb Pkwy South, and Atlanta Army Navy in the industrial park behind the Coca Cola plant.
View Quote

They had NO surplus last time I was there...
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one? Both? I find that hard to believe.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Behind coke. Everything was new not surplus.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a full size ruck with the frame I haven't used forever. It's OD green.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I know it's a distance but the last time I was at Dixie Ammo Dump in Hoschton they had them. They've got awesome stuff there and worth the drive IMHO
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you mind me asking why you want one? They hurt like hell if you carry much weight or for a long time. If you are looking for a B.O.B. I would recommend going with a commercial bag.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I've humped a million miles (seemed like) with an assload of weight in a medium ALICE. Never had a problem with them. I understand that there are newer/better/more expensive rucks out there, but hard to beat an ALICE for the price.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the information guys. I could not respond yesterday because my android would not let me post.

I'll hit up the two suggested surplus places sometime this week.

As for why I am looking for an Alice pack, I saw a video on youtube about it and I think that I may be a good pack to use when I am hiking.
It may be a little bit big, but I will find out when I see one in real life. I have seen some other packs and they are either really cheaply made or really expensive. I figured that for the price of one of the really cheaply made ones, I can get a quality product.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, nothing beats an alice pack. I used to use one for backpacking before buying a pack made for backpacking. I used one in the service. When the army started issuing the new internal frame packs, everyone bitched because they're uncomfortable and just plain shitty, and wished they had an alice pack for rucking. Its funny, now all these backpacking packs are made so you use the hipbelt to get the weight off your shoulders, but I never used the hip strap on the alice pack. It was just that comfortable. I still have one somewhere in my garage.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy the medium sized one. I have humped both and find the large to be to big to carry for a long distance if packed to capicaty. They aren't the best designed pack but work great. Check out tactical tailors website and send it to them for their upgrades. Two more things, buy the frame to go with it, and check the quick releases on the shoulder straps to ensure they're not worn out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Keep an eye on ebay and craiglist.

Such as this .....http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/spo/4384476770.html
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Keep an eye on ebay and craiglist.
View Quote

Jack what was that iron soldiers swap meet you told me about? Was that the name. I think mine was $8 from there
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the info. I will definitely get the frame for it.
I sent an email to the craigslist post. We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Steel Soldiers GA Rally.. That's where I got mine too. Bobby Bell had a bunch there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Steel Soldiers GA Rally.. That's where I got mine too. Bobby Bell had a bunch there.
View Quote

Let me know when they have another one. I wanna go!

I actually bought the eberlestock that uses the alice frame since it is so comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep, I've still got a large that I acquired at Bridgeport. It's nice for cold weather ops, since you're carrying more shit and the shit you're carrying tends to be bulkier. Other than that, it's too much. I carried it when I was a Platoon Cmdr/Sgt in the Reserves. I wore out RTO's trying to keep up with me, so I humped my own radio. The large came in handy for that, but other than those situations I prefer the medium.

When I'm teaching PR/Sniper classes, I use a Camelbak BMF.   For Urban/Guerilla Sniper classes, I have a smaller pack I got from an SF buddy. No idea what it is. Smaller than an ALICE medium, it's an old SF-issue in woodland camo. Just the right size for that class.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's mine from militaryfieldgear.com he had a huge box of these at the rally and sold them cheap.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I lived out of a Large Alice for 3 years as a "Lightfighter" - unfortunately, the medium would never fit enough "stuff" for the extended training exercises we went on. I still like the Large Alice - I really lust after the customized versions but I do not train for extended patrols so I cannot justify the expense.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#22]
My main problem with the large is the way the load sits. It's a short pack with a large cargo area. It's like cutting a fifty five gallon drum in half and putting it on a pack frame. The load sits to far away from the body.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Not saying the large Alice is perfect. Lots of "better" maybe even "best" options out there. But, when I look at the price for the "best" replacement ruck I get stocker shock. Large Alice hard to beat for the money. If was going to walk the whole Appalachian taril I would buy a better pack. For occasional use, I would get a Large Alice.

I was at FT Benning a while back when the vendors had all the "best" rucks on display - very, very nice (very, very expensive!).
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#25]
That is a nice deal!  3 large ALICE packs, with frames and straps, for $60 in McDonough. They look in way better shape than any ALICE I was issued in the Corps!

arlessinsc, if you buy those I'll buy one off ya.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is a nice deal!  3 large ALICE packs, with frames and straps, for $60 in McDonough. They look in way better shape than any ALICE I was issued in the Corps!

View Quote

I sent him an email and he has 5 left. He also has a ton of other stuff on CL.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Shep -

I ended up buying his lot of surplus for $120. It has a 2 large alices w 1 frame, 2 medium alices w 1 frame, plus a bunch of other stuff.
I am building 2 packs, 1 for myself and 1 for my son.

He also has some hats and gear to play with too.

The guy selling all of this stuff is a good guy to deal with. It is too bad that he is in McDonough so it is a long drive from Cobb.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hi Shep -

I ended up buying his lot of surplus for $120. It has a 2 large alices w 1 frame, 2 medium alices w 1 frame, plus a bunch of other stuff.

The guy selling all of this stuff is a good guy to deal with. It is too bad that he is in McDonough so it is a long drive from Cobb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Shep -

Did you get any sustaimment pouches?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I am adding molle gear to the 2 alice packs that I purchased.
I am following the instructions that you can find here: Hellcat Alice Pack Mod

Ordered the molle gear on ebay.
I'll post pictures when I am done.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#30]
people keep buying these even though the newer Molle packs are available. are these better?..
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:00:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

people keep buying these even though the newer Molle packs are available. are these better?..
View Quote
Better? In my opinion not really.  They are a tried and true design that works. There are packs out there that are designed way better. For the price they are hard to pass up. Alice packs have one internal pocket that really just a big nylon flap, three exterior pockets and one map type pocket on the top flap. They aren't waterproof and the frame isn't adjustable. Sounds shitty, doesn't it?  I've humped one more miles than I care to remember. Kinda like using a cast iron skillet instead of newer nonstick. I love my cast iron.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#32]
My eberlestock utilizes an Alice frame.

And all my skillet pan are cast iron! Nothing sticks to them. Better than any non stick pan we have ever bought. When properly prepared and seasoned nothing beats them.

I still buy all the old rusty pans I can find and refinish them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I am not sure that they are better, but I can outfit my 2 alice packs like the hellcat mod for about $120, which is about 1/2 the cost of a single commercial one.
There is a sense of frugality in it for me, plus I get equipment of proven quality and durability.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#34]
For what must folks use a pack for, an ALICE works just fine and is hard to beat for the $. There are a ton of better packs on the market nowadays, but you'll pay for them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I just bought one of these, paid $83+free shipping and had it in like 3 days. Everything was like new, maybe a backyard expedition or two at most. Had one buckle missing, and one strap I had to stitch up a little mostly for my own piece of mind. Can get the entire replacement buckle set on amazon for $9.99 and free prime 2 day shipping. The assault pack is worth half the price I paid or more, plus the hip belt and top cover are included as well. Great deal for a great pack, and very comfortable too it adjusts pretty much any body frame. I shortened it up and my lady wore it fine at 5'4" maybe 110lbs.

ETA: I specifically bought from the Aleghany outdoor, or however you spell it. $83.99+free shipping. Great transaction.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hi Shep -

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Shep -

No he isn't. The asshole let me drive out to meet him 40 mins one way and never showed. I gave him my cell to call if there was a problem and all I got was an email saying he sold the packs I was coming to get out from under me
withing 20 mins of our ok to meet up for the sale.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No he isn't. The asshole let me drive out to meet him 40 mins one way and never showed. I gave him my cell to call if there was a problem and all I got was an email saying he sold the packs I was coming to get out from under me
within 20 mins of our ok to meet up for the sale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Shep -

within 20 mins of our ok to meet up for the sale.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Shep -

I am sorry to hear that. I was recounting my experience.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#39]
well I am glad you didn't get hosed on the deal like I did. I was hoping to get the three he had left so my sons would have good packs for boy scout hikes and such.
I bought them a couple of those wall mart field line brand molle bags and the lack of a frame made their backs hurt like crazy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Grey Ghost Gear is running a 25% off sale on Karrimor SF packs.  Nothing really fancy, but well-designed and rugged packs that are a great deal for the money.  They are used by Brit SpecOps troops, among others.

Use the code KARRI25 at checkout.

http://www.greyghostgear.com/karrimor-1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top